Bullx Converts??

Are any members on here bullx converts? Did you start with à difrent type? Maybe they impressed you so much you started keeping them.. or have any of you guys started on bullx and ended up with a diffrent x? I'll be honest I always thought the bullx was a dog for fox. I have seen a few recently tho that have impressed me as allrounders. I now believe in the right hands they can and will do as much as you let them. So what's your thoughts on bullx? Overkill or dogs for jobs? Maybe you thnk they just got a bad rep? Haha

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my opinion 2 of the best all rounders i ever had the pleasure to watch work were bull xs-both were single handed on anything with teeth-could kill them quicker than any cross ive seen before or sin

and for all the lads saying they just get tossed out of motor onto there game, its not like that one bit... and obviously never done it or use were the ones tossing them right on there game... dogs

The bull x is a breed that as really suffered from fools chucking any bull over any greyhound and thinking they've got the next best thing, sadly we all know it dosen't work like that, theres just so

I taught there were 2 heavy but that changed after seein a few work' highly impressed ..I run a 3/4 breed dog and his a real all rounder ! Seen plenty of them and I think they have a very high success rate! I started on collie but if am to be honest cross the 2 and you have a real all round dog! Bull x s hav the highest prey drive I've seen , easy work wit, brains( I didn't think they had)

I have seen a few over the years some were liabilutys and some were just average but the couple iv seen this past season have really opened up my eyes. I won't be rushing out to get one tomrrow but they won't be ruled out whenbim next looking for a pup

im glad to hear that the bull x is getting the attention it deserves .lots of lads on here think a dog has got to be lightly built .they miststakenly think the heavy built dogs are going to be to slow and not up to the job .some of the bigger versions 27 inch and upwards 75 lbs or more .look great muscular powerful lurchers built for the job .i have seen a few on here and looking at the build of these dogs you can see they are not the sort of dogs thaht are going to break down or be lacking in courage. combine the prey drive of the greyhound with the hardiness and toughness of the bull and you have got a very good dog .some sxg xbg throw very nice and powerful as do some bxg xcg .certainly a cross that is going to become more popular as time will tell.after all is said and done lord orford did not breed bull into his greyhounds by accident .it was added to increase the stamina and the overall muscle power of the breed.heavy built lurchers hopefully will get the attention they deserve

• Like 1

adding to much bull to the mix can cause problems for the allround lurcher in as much as prey drive that out weighs self preservation and toughness through lack of brain, generally leads to a short lived animal, ive also seen cases where heavily bull saturated dogs actually fit through oxygen starvation because they have got that woundup. i believe that a splash of bull is far more benificial than half a glass full. One of the best looking bitches ive seen was a saluki/bull/grey however by far the best allround dog ive encountered was a mix of collie/bull/grey

paulus.i think you are right about to much bull in some cases .this cross is ideal for strenghtening weak lurcher strains.i think in a hailf cross bull you may well get some problems.but it would not occur in every case .quarter bull to quarter collie to hailf greyhound ;quarter bull to quarter saluki hailf greyhound .something on those lines would give you the build and restrengthining needed;to be honest i have not seen any first x bull xg run so i couldnt say if some lack the required speed.it would be intresting to hear from owners of this cross brains stamina speed problems etc

I had an English bull cross late 80's was a cracking dog. Caught daytime hares, lamped rabbits and hares back then. It had a big deep chest, body of a greyhound but big square face. Bags of stamina and held its own speed wise. Only one I had which tells its own story. Think it was the cryton head that put me off getting another but it Definately put food on the table.

paulus.i think you are right about to much bull in some cases .this cross is ideal for strenghtening weak lurcher strains.i think in a hailf cross bull you may well get some problems.but it would not occur in every case .quarter bull to quarter collie to hailf greyhound ;quarter bull to quarter saluki hailf greyhound .something on those lines would give you the build and restrengthining needed;to be honest i have not seen any first x bull xg run so i couldnt say if some lack the required speed.it would be intresting to hear from owners of this cross brains stamina speed problems etc

how many times have you herd or read on here of a heavily saturated bull x running into something verses how many collie crosses do you read or hear of doing the same thing :laugh: you also need to add whippet to your mentioned crosses to make up for whats lacking in the mix :whistling:

have to say i agree with paulus nearly all the bull x's i've seen where fighters

& i was always on edge in there company but i do think they can add something

to a lurcher x lurcher & like any breed you need the right sort

im glad to hear that the bull x is getting the attention it deserves .lots of lads on here think a dog has got to be lightly built .they miststakenly think the heavy built dogs are going to be to slow and not up to the job .some of the bigger versions 27 inch and upwards 75 lbs or more .look great muscular powerful lurchers built for the job .i have seen a few on here and looking at the build of these dogs you can see they are not the sort of dogs thaht are going to break down or be lacking in courage. combine the prey drive of the greyhound with the hardiness and toughness of the bull and you have got a very good dog .some sxg xbg throw very nice and powerful as do some bxg xcg .certainly a cross that is going to become more popular as time will tell.after all is said and done lord orford did not breed bull into his greyhounds by accident .it was added to increase the stamina and the overall muscle power of the breed.heavy built lurchers hopefully will get the attention they deserve

You can't tell what a dog is like from a photo!! Even the heaviest set most muscular dog can lack courage. A heavy built dog will not be as fast as a lighter built one of the same height. Too much muscle on a dog does it no favours for running. If you drop your dogs on top of stuff out of the motor then you can have as heavy dog as you like. Do you really believe that the nutcase, Lord Orford bred a bulldog x greyhound and it's offspring went on to beat all the very best dogs of the day? Think about it!

You can't say that people mistakenly think that dogs need to be lightly built and then say that you've never seen a half x run. You're just making stuff up based on photos and passing it off as fact!

The blokes that I get out with have bull x's. They're decent dogs of different sizes and put some game away. I'd never own one because of breed blindness and they're not what I want from a running dog.

how many times have you herd or read on here of a heavily saturated bull x running into something verses how many collie crosses do you read or hear of doing the same thing :laugh: you also need to add whippet to your mentioned crosses to make up for whats lacking in the mix :whistling:

What will the whippet add? Yapping or shortness of breath? :laugh::laugh: :laugh:

What will the whippet add? Yapping or shortness of breath? :laugh::laugh: :laugh:

Even thinner coat :laugh:

• Like 1