Big Day Friday,, Almost Broke The Ton

What a damp old misrable day Friday was,,,, but what a great day we had to,, me ,, vin ,,trigger,, and his young 11 year old nephew,,, it's his first season ferreting, with two young Jill's me and vin gave him last summer.

The first warren I did was just a 4 holer wich produced a dig straight away only a spit of soil and the first in the bag,, then a bolt and job done.

At the top of the hil,, a found vin with a rabbit Molly had cought ,, whilst trigger was ferreting another set,,, so me and vin joined forces and ferreted two small warrens bolting for the dogs,,we cought a 2 or 3 here, and missed one ,,, after these couple of sets we all joined forces to ferret a big warren 60 or 70 odd holes,, only 10 from here I thought we would do more,,, but you can't realy complain ..

We then split up agian,,, vin went up hill wilst me and trigger went along a small banking,,, we were doing separate warrens,, I was just bolting for the dog,,, whilst trigg, was netting up, as he only had the old dog.

We did very well along here,,, venus was on fire nailing everything till I got the camera out and tried to film her,,, the next two she missed,, wich I filmed ,,,,lol. Typical,,, I also had a small dig just lifted the lid of the soil ,, one out,,, ferret back in and he's gone up and dragging one back down to the hole I dug,,as soon as its in sight,, I've got it,,,ferret back in and same thing again another out.

Meanwhile ,, trigg, is catching a few on the niaghbouring warrens,,

Last warren on this bank is next to the wall,,,now when bolting to the dog up here it's a good idea to net the holes in the walls,, or block them up,, especially when there just a few yards away,,, so one hole blocked,, and two nets, hanging on the other two holes,,

First two bolts, the dog cought ,, then one in to the net on the wall,, perfect,, all quiet after five mins,,, carrot out,,,,, again a spit of soil,,,, and 4 out,,,long time since I've had a 4 out a stop.

We dropped the rabbits at this wall,, claimed over and carried on the other side,, .

At this point we had no idea where or how vin was doing cos of the fog,, but we did keep hearing the tell tail signs of rabbits squealing ,,,

This other side wasn't as productive,, but we did get a few more,, the dog missed a few, but in the majority ,, by now it's getting on , and the fog is very thik,,, now I'm quite good with direction ,,,, but vin,,, feck me he could get lost walking off his street,,, you can go to a place 20 times,,, and he says have we been here befor,,lol..

Anyway I think I better find him befor we have to get mountain rescue out,,, but I needn't have worried cos trigg was with him,, a quik count up and we have 97,, nearly all mine cought by the dog,,, likewise with vin,

So with game carriers loaded up we headed down,,,, near the bottom it was decided to send vin and trigs nephew for 3 more,, whilst me and trigg shared the rest of vins catch out, and carry everything to the van.....

But feck me you send a lad to do a mans job,,,, he came back with one,,,,lol

Anyway what a great day,, my biggest bag ferreting,, and what I thing for a young lad to witness,, full marks to trigger for driving all the way up from darkest Shropshire ,,

So 98 in total cheers vin, trigg, and young Kieran ,,,I only have a few pics,,cos of the damp foggy conditions ,, one bit of film with two misses on,,,lol

Counting up befor loading up like Sherpas

ferreing9313004_zpsaee95a10.jpg

ferreing9313005_zps267d1fc6.jpg

And a bit of film ,,lol

th_ferreing9313001_zps4023503b.jpg

ferreing9313009_zps5898a951.jpg

Edited by TOMO
  • Like 15

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a damp old misrable day Friday was,,,, but what a great day we had to,, me ,, vin ,,trigger,, and his young 11 year old nephew,,, it's his first season ferreting, with two young Jill's me and vi

thanks for the invite Tomo and Vin. i had a great day and it was nice to see my old dog out doing a bit, he dont do much these days as the young dog has taken over. got a phone call from my sister tod

2am start.... thats bloody mental

thanks for the invite Tomo and Vin. i had a great day and it was nice to see my old dog out doing a bit, he dont do much these days as the young dog has taken over. got a phone call from my sister today young kieran woke her up early this morning buzzing his head off he couldnt wait to tell her how good his day was.

me and the boy had a long shift i picked him up at 2am friday morning and got back at 10.15pm friday night over a 20 hour shift but well worth it.

• Like 1

It was seriously foggy up on top where i was..i could see about 100 yards and then nothing...very creepy.

I had no watch and no phone and no way of telling the time..I was in a spot where they just kept coming from every warren the dog marked..I just kept following the dog in random directions upwards dropping a few piles of bunnies as I went ..It got to the point where i was thinking i might get stuck up there because it was getting later than i thought..so I headed back down..If i had stayed another hour i could have easily managed another 10-15 maybe more..Im gutted,but also relieved because It was dam hard work carrying them all..

The dog was on good form with the bolters and made the nets almost redundant most of the day.. I only put a few out on the bigger warrens and left most unnetted and just let the dog enjoy herself. . I only put 1 ferret in also,So the bolts were steady most of the time. . . I did have a great double bolter with one in the net and the other nailed by the dog in almost textbook style.

It was good to see old trigger catching a beauty of a bolter going downhill at some pace and being retrieved to John,Still plenty of life in the old dog yet.

What an epic day and one young kieran wont forget.