Sometimes you will never know i know someone who bolted a badger from an oak tree after the hounds had cold marked it no signs of badgers anywhere and the farmer hadn't seen any in years he had a shock lucky the hounds had moved on (pre ban)

hap end 2 weeks ago old red bolted and was shot.terrier stayed and was dug to had old Brock in front of him{.France}do be careful.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you need to come on here and ask you shouldnt even be thinking about working a terrier to ground.

If fox it will be long gone

If your terrier is goin in and out of it then you have nothing to worry about as either nothing at home or dog wont stay.

Cant understand why everyone is slating this member for asking a 'sensible' question. Isn't the idea of a forum to get information and advise/banter from others with common interests?

Has anyone thought of giving the guy a break and answering his question?

They may be new to hunting and not have the contacts that others are privileged to.

We all started with no knowledge and had to be shown/told how to do what we enjoy.

Maybe a pic would help.

• Like 6

Cant understand why everyone is slating this member for asking a 'sensible' question. Isn't the idea of a forum to get information and advise/banter from others with common interests?

They may be new to hunting and not have the contacts that others are privileged to.

We all started with no knowledge and had to be shown/told how to do what we enjoy.

Maybe a pic would help.

Thank you. I have plenty of experience with game, I run a small shoot in my home village and have some great gun dogs but this is my first terrier. I'm very interested in working her and learning that's why I joined the forum.

It was a genuine question as I simply didn't know the answer. I know their is a good chance that whatever was/wasn't in there has gone but I now have a stealth camera pointing at the hole, so ill find out that way

• Like 1

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/281572-how-has-this-site-been-a-benifit-to-you/

Think this shows that everyone needs information at some point

Maybe a pic would help.

Thank you. I have plenty of experience with game, I run a small shoot in my home village and have some great gun dogs but this is my first terrier. I'm very interested in working her and learning that's why I joined the forum.
It was a genuine question as I simply didn't know the answer. I know their is a good chance that whatever was/wasn't in there has gone but I now have a stealth camera pointing at the hole, so ill find out that way

Hope you find out what's home and all the best with the dog

Well if you do run a shoot in your village god help the game birds your looking after if you dont or cant tell the difference between fox signs and badger signs.Look at the kick out for starters,then toilet pits very close to the earth + hair on branches or wire thats lying about near the earth also pad marks on the entrance all signs of badger + they will have a well worn path too and from the earth.If it were fox,Vixon with cubs for example,remains of dead animals such as hare,rabbit,lamb,also birds probably yours lol where the cubs would be feeding and the smell of fox to anyone with the slighest experience is very recognisable,hope this helps you.

• Like 1

The foxes we have on our shoot are shot with a 243, never been a dig before as this is my first terrier. As I said I'm here to learn so any advice is appreciated. Couldn't find any hares or droppings but the camera is set up so ill get my answer hopefully Tom.

Ill let you know

this time of year it will more than likely be a fox with cubs. if so you will never get them cubs at this time of year. if it aint that its a billy. but if youve let your dog have a good sniff down it, whatever is in it would have probably moved on.

The foxes we have on our shoot are shot with a 243, never been a dig before as this is my first terrier. As I said I'm here to learn so any advice is appreciated. Couldn't find any hares or droppings but the camera is set up so ill get my answer hopefully Tom.

Ill let you know

You may shoot some of them but you wont shoot them all.

Ill let you know

You may shoot some of them but you wont shoot them all.
Agreed

give me a shout and i will come up and show you the ropes :whistling: atb

That's an amazing offer, thank you, where abouts are you

As others said look for signs in my experience the old humbugs usually I quote usually will have more than one entrance and would of been there years unless its just starting to be made if there is a kick out which will be dead grass leaves ect that will usually be badger. But foxes will share with badgers. The badger will just block them off don't always go by bones as badger also have bones outside their set wether that's fox been living their or not you don't know your best bet is to put your camera trap by and see what's going on now you know it's there just keep your dog on the lead atb

If you need to come on here and ask you shouldnt even be thinking about working a terrier to ground.

Why, what's wrong with asking.
Read what he said the answers in his quote.
Read it again, I apologise, understand what he's saying

Badgers are one of the most protected species on this earth, it seems after the custodial sentence passed, you have already asked a question which the men in wigs would have a field day with... of how do you tell the difference between different quarry species (i.e.) fox/badger.

With the restrict laws and persecution that comes with pest control with terriers now a days why would someone who obviously has just stumbled upon this highly controversial fieldcraft with no prior knowledge of terrier work or the legal quarry want to start! Terrierwork is Not simply buying a terrier and fitting the newest technology onto its neck and trying it to ground..Terrier work is Not a passtime for ego or gain..Working with terriers is not fun. It is a means of keeping nature in balance.. a measure of control not eradication... of protection and preserve.. Recently i can see why the outsider looking in Hates what they see as pest control with terriers... every respectable terrier owner has respect for what has to be done, thats a humane dispatch, sorry for the rant but if you have to ask what is inhabiting that burrow then maybe a bit more time in the field than the laptop would be appropriate.

your obviously shiting us,, you just don't do it for the sake of the farmer needs a fox killed, its not as if its a day job everybody does, you either like hunting and participating or just don't bother at all,, in that case your terriers should be pets not working dogs.

There is rifle for dispatching of foxes humanly not terriers so your putting no point across their mate :huh:

terrier work is vermin/pest control underground with a terrier... the humane dispatch comes after you dig your terrier out... i enjoy my terrier doing pest control immensely and doing what the terrier has been designed over many thousand years to do and that is underground work, but i take absoluletly no pleasure in having to dispatch a wild animal....

sure you wouldn't be digging your terrier if you shot your fox humanely with a rifle on top of ground there fore you would not be faced with sticking your dog underground to dig,,, what about what the fox goes true before you dispatch of it?????? why not leave the dispatching to other men who do it humanely but still get pleasure.. :hmm::hmm: