(Tenacity ) ?

Gsd x mal are becoming very popular and a real handy dog....seen a few and they are great...BUT mal blood is getting watered down......I cant say feck all cuz I'm putting greyhound blood into the mix

seen thissxs bred five yrs aback and seen a dog from the xs and he takes ought not for the faint hearted but saying that thinking on the state of most base breed today in the uk , if one as time on there side , one would i have no doubt be able to produce very decent lurchers from them with selection and the introduction of may be the odd other breed than just grey . possibly deerhound would be my choice just a thought atb bunnys. PS ALLWAYS a thought not to take to much from the the original xs what traits though breeding for , needs to be 2 matings one with grey one with deerhound and selection and breeding from best of both to get the very best possible results keeping the mal diluted both sides takes time but if one as it results could be outstanding .atb bunnys.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe it might match it for tenacity and drive but I bet you'd get a much higher percentage of dogs that threw in the towel when the going got tough.   Herders haven't been bred to take the punishm

The bull/greyhound is an easy dog to keep. Intense in work but laid back in the kennel. A dog with Mali blood in it would be useless to most because of there intensity wich from what I've seen is 24/7

he was 8 weeks old when i got him a dark brindle german shepherd x greyhound 1970 i was15 years old.up to nine months of age he was so slow my brother used to say give him a cartridge.at 11 months he

Was not my aim to turn a thread talking abouth the tenacity of the Bull into a GSD/Mal/Dutchie thread.

You can have a laid back malinois as well. It depends a lot on how it's raised and from which lines it's been selected. The Malinois can be over fixated/attached towards it's owner.

I'd rather have a Dutch Shepherd/Mal working cross. Just a shepherd from working lines selected to be a good tracker/retriever and with some hunt drive. I'd let the dominant dogs go to the protection lads, I'd rather have a more mellow dog. Quarry will propably determin how much full your dog should be.

Two weeks ago I walked my dog (brittany) who can be a bit unfriendly sometimes alongside a working shepherd bitch, she was last years (2012) district champion. She was the most well behaved dog I've come across in the forest nearby. She got more Christmas cards from the owners grandchildren and neighbours than he did himself. Very relaxed when not working, extremly passionate when working.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Malinois =SUPERDOG.

I recon the first cross with a greyhound would be better than any other first cross as an all round Lurcher and a Malinois -X- Whippet would not be far behind,and if ya want a dog to actually keep ya alive in a survival situation like was experienced by your G.parents or G.G.parents back in the 30's and beyond (and could well come again) then a Mal -X- Whipp would be the better of the two as it would take up less room and more importantly eat less.

Malinois =SUPERDOG.

I recon the first cross with a greyhound would be better than any other first cross as an all round Lurcher and a Malinois -X- Whippet would not be far behind,and if ya want a dog to actually keep ya alive in a survival situation like was experienced by your G.parents or G.G.parents back in the 30's and beyond (and could well come again) then a Mal -X- Whipp would be the better of the two as it would take up less room and more importantly eat less.

the malx grey could be a very full on type lurcher, maybe to much for alot of people, there hyper temp might not suit alot of people. The gsdx grey are a more of a laid back temp, but still enough guts fire in there belly for any quarry, but more easy to live with thats why i had one. :yes: . but apart from mals + gsd they were other breeds back then before the bullxs , like wheatens, irish, that had nearly as good tenacity bulls , but once the bullxs took off in the 70s there was no going back. :yes:

i had german shepherd x greyhounds in the period of 1970 to 1987 .they are killing machines very hard very strong excellent stamina brilliant trackers and markers .this cross is very versatile ferreting long netting tracking of prey over long distances,they willl work big hawthorn hedges and will bulldoze thru blackberry bushes also excellent flushing dogs for the shotgun.very calm not nervous need very firm handling and can be very hard on other dogs.they have a ability to think for themselves which is very usefull.if you get one who throws right they are plenty fast enough for any quarry .they also have a very high prey drive.when breeding this cross look for a large good grade of greyhound and find the biggest hardest alsatian possible with excellent hip scores do not breed from substandard parents on either side.over the years i have seen various crosses bred from bad stock resulting in lots of valueble time being wasted .if you want the best breed from the best.dont use berts dog up the road just because it is convenient.or cheap

The bull/greyhound is an easy dog to keep. Intense in work but laid back in the kennel. A dog with Mali blood in it would be useless to most because of there intensity wich from what I've seen is 24/7. For me if you get a good bull/greyhound thats made of the right stuff then you can take any British quarry. Can the same be said of of a Mali or Dutch shepherd x ?

that 24/7 attitude is my likin if u out working the dog often that trait b handy should throw natural stamina I fink u lose that [BANNED TEXT] the bull horses for courses eh the bulls I seem to see are good for few average hunts a week but more then that start lackin. I lost count of people who complain on them havin fits in field or cant handle full night , they take everythin like a sprinter and forget [BANNED TEXT] out it a marathon. but dont get me rong they sure do serve a purpose but I think better at end of dig then anythin

Malinois =SUPERDOG.

the malx grey could be a very full on type lurcher, maybe to much for alot of people, there hyper temp might not suit alot of people. The gsdx grey are a more of a laid back temp, but still enough guts fire in there belly for any quarry, but more easy to live with thats why i had one. :yes: . but apart from mals + gsd they were other breeds back then before the bullxs , like wheatens, irish, that had nearly as good tenacity bulls , but once the bullxs took off in the 70s there was no going back. :yes:

Why u rehome ur bull bird , how come the swap to gsd x if dnt mind me askin not dig just wonderin

The bull/greyhound is an easy dog to keep. Intense in work but laid back in the kennel. A dog with Mali blood in it would be useless to most because of there intensity wich from what I've seen is 24/7. For me if you get a good bull/greyhound thats made of the right stuff then you can take any British quarry. Can the same be said of of a Mali or Dutch shepherd x ?

that 24/7 attitude is my likin if u out working the dog often that trait b handy should throw natural stamina I fink u lose that [BANNED TEXT] the bull horses for courses eh the bulls I seem to see are good for few average hunts a week but more then that start lackin. I lost count of people who complain on them havin fits in field or cant handle full night , they take everythin like a sprinter and forget [BANNED TEXT] out it a marathon. but dont get me rong they sure do serve a purpose but I think better at end of dig then anythin

The only thing i can say too you mate is i doubt you have seen a good one work ? The best dog ive ever owned is a bull/greyhound has done everything ive asked of him.

Malinois =SUPERDOG.

Why u rehome ur bull bird , how come the swap to gsd x if dnt mind me askin not dig just wonderin

yeh no prob , had 3 bullxs, Tod was my last 1, kept blacking out when pushed hard vet said it was (lack of oxgen to the brain) ive said this before on another thread, infact my 1st bullxgrey had simlar prob and died in the field, this was19 years ago and its not the 1st time ive heard this. :yes: 2nd bullxgrey hit a post smashed its shoulder and never ran again, had him for 4 years good on fox+rabbits. So wanted a change from bullxs, somthing like a colliex grey but with more( fire in its belly), and gsd x greys were very popular as big deer+ fox dogs in the 70-80s, so thats how come i got my 1x gsd xgrey pup Buck now, might know what he is like about dec ! with bit of (luck) he should be ok. :thumbs:

Malinois =SUPERDOG.

yeh no prob , had 3 bullxs, Tod was my last 1, kept blacking out when pushed hard vet said it was (lack of oxgen to the brain) ive said this before on another thread, infact my 1st bullxgrey had simlar prob and died in the field, this was19 years ago and its not the 1st time ive heard this. :yes: 2nd bullxgrey hit a post smashed its shoulder and never ran again, had him for 4 years good on fox+rabbits. So wanted a change from bullxs, somthing like a colliex grey but with more( fire in its belly), and gsd x greys were very popular as big deer+ fox dogs in the 70-80s, so thats how come i got my 1x gsd xgrey pup Buck now, might know what he is like about dec ! with bit of (luck) he should be ok. :thumbs:

Make sense yeah a lot of bull grey I no pushed hard hav had the same prob they ok for a few hard hrs out but not a dog that taje out 10pm n run em till 7am most blow out well before then. I think it just lack of stamina and can't get the air in prop. I been out [BANNED TEXT] one den road from me Alsatian grey tackle anythin. Suppose dog for job every x has it bonus and everyone has it neg someone show me perfect dog in all fields

why did folk not use bull x's in any number before the 70's they've been around for hundreds of years,every butcher would of had

one at one time it's only with the job of lamping fox's that the bull x became popular & as an out & out fox dog the percentages

are in your favour of get a dog that will do the job you want as against say a collie or saluki cross but as an all round hunting

dog there are far better options out there, tenacity like any quality is a good thing in the right amount but too much is just as

bad as to little

A Mali is like a old fashioned collie with a apbt bite..iv worked quite a few dog breeds in the bite and nothing comes close to a hard hitting Mali.....iv worked malis in the summer and even when exhausted will give that extra gear...you can't have it both ways living with a Mali can be taxing in a home environment but get them working and there something else...iv also got a high drive cz gsd genuine star light border breeding and she's very calm and a great worker but I truly beleve a Mali grey will be the ticket... There's some very good Mali x gsd cross's about and perhaps one of those put to a greyhound would produce something handy but in my opinion your watering down the hardcore Mali blood which is what I'm after.....time will tell and I'm going to breed a litter of half cross mal greys...you'll see every stage of there progress via the site..I will be 100% honest warts and all..I don't care if iv got the greatest dogs..the hardest or feel the need to prove anything......my feeling is that a mal half cross will be handy in a few years I recon a 3/4 grey 1/4 mal will be something very special.....but let's be honest just how many feckin idiots have great plans and a big mouth a produce total shit.. only time will tell..youll hear on thl first I promise you that much.

• Like 4

you go ahead woza , seems like lots are either moving back to base bred types but are looking for something different than the traditional type .ONE of the main reasons being the chanes are higher in getting a more tougher mental type ,enabling to take the animal that one step further . i have jaz here alli xs line bred she just starte4d her first season i am now having to watch her her instinct to protect and guard are really strong nearly bit a jogger the other day , soon as her seasons out the way i feel ill have to give her some rabbs in the spring i feel your malli xs project will be for the types who are able to handle the type of animal that will begot from the union ,like as said over pms these will be leagues above the norm line bred best ta best good luck atb bunnys.