So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Put my onion seeds in just over a week ago indoors they starting to show now

Done sets last year after 5/6 years of seeds found no difference

Also trying something new this year a raised HUGEL CuLTURE bed any

One herd of this system before ???

A new one on me till i googled it :laugh: it will make intresting reading and also be good to read if you give it a go. :thumbs:

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Put my onion seeds in just over a week ago indoors they starting to show now

Done sets last year after 5/6 years of seeds found no difference

Also trying something new this year a raised HUGEL CuLTURE bed any

One herd of this system before ???

A new one on me till i googled it :laugh: it will make intresting reading and also be good to read if you give it a go. :thumbs:
It's all linked in to permaculture or a branch of it

seems a lot to permaculture so after looking in to it the hugel bed seemed an option that suited me better

Goes against conventional gardening as it's a no dig system the idear being every time you dig you harm the natural

Biology of the soil which when you think about it

Modern farming is ploughed ground then propped up by

Fertilisers to replace the damage even crop rotation isn't

Effective enough

Last year I over dug (to deep) and had shit results

• Like 1

Thats very interesting and oddly enough I noticed a plot today that had big ridges built up of sticks and straw and other stuff

and one had lime sprinkled on it which I thought was odd I thought they might be clamps of some sort. I will have a better look when I am next there

• Like 1

Lads I took the plunge and bought the auto spade, I can honestly say it's not a gimmick it works well

In just under an hour I've turned over about 12ft x 20ft, the bigger chunks will need breaking up with the fork but it's saved a load of hard work and time

Don't break the bigger chunks up leave the frost get in them they will then make for a finer tithe. When they freeze they expand and break down easier when they thaw.

TC

• Like 1

Lads I took the plunge and bought the auto spade, I can honestly say it's not a gimmick it works well

In just under an hour I've turned over about 12ft x 20ft, the bigger chunks will need breaking up with the fork but it's saved a load of hard work and time

Don't break the bigger chunks up leave the frost get in them they will then make for a finer tithe. When they freeze they expand and break down easier when they thaw.

TC

Cheers that's saved me a bit more work,I'm back up there Wednesday so if I can do the same again I will be happy

I've got a load of shity grass and weed up the top end is and want to get a poly tunnel on there, do you think I will get away spraying some roundup on it to kill it off quick

I would leave it a bit to make sure the grass weeds are growing, I was looking at doing it in mine and the patio but will leave it for a while. I know grass will grow when the ambient temperature reaches 7c so I would be looking at the beginning of next month before I spray mine.

TC

there is nothing worst than seeing old men working so hard on theyer plots. wait all year and when the veg is ready to havest. some morons have pinched all the veg and burned the shed down. im sorry I think I would have to give up. it takes all year to do and then its all taken and ruined in a matter of minutes .

I think I would get stuck in. dont kill yourself if you do 2 yards a day. end of 1 week you done 14 yards you got plenty of time. or cover it with thick cardboard if you don't feel like diging it or some sort of membrain black plastic you will get there in the end. and hopefully have good results best of luck