TOUCHY SUBJECT-burglars+shotgun=life sentance?

It all boils down to what is reasonable at the time which leaves a lot of scope to be hung out to dry by a prosecutor depending what you say.

Your actions have to be absolutely necessary at the time as well as proportionate to the threat.

Warning shots are aload of balls, that's one wasted and if your on the house and fire one where is it going? Do you fire at a stud wall or a ceiling, what about ricochets?

If you are justified in shooting someone then shoot don't fire a warning, the sight of a firearm is a warning in itself. It might not be practical to shout a warning either. You will be shitting yourself and the adrenalin will be through the roof. Pointing and perhaps shooting a person is totally different ball game than shooting an animal.

Most people are not trained armed police or soldiers so even if your actions are perceived to be excessive as long as it can be proven that your life/lives were in danger and that your intent was to use the minimum use of force then hopefully things should swing your way.

The issue somebody mentioned earlier on about having easy access to a firearm as in under your bed is easily explained by the fact you couldn't sleep and you were cleaning your gun as it helps you sleep;)

If ever involved give just the very least of an account until you have a solicitor, none of this macho bollocks about shooting until they're dead etc.

Shoot to stop the threat not to kill as you will go down for that.

Dont forget we are entitled to Human Rights just the same as criminals etc.

if you live in a rough area and are therefore at risk of break ins couldn't it be seen as reasonable to keep a weapon to hand? the fact is most people have a kitchen (full of knives) around the back door area of their house, so chances are if someone broke in they'd do it at the back and have access to weapons straight away....so surely having your gun or whatever in your room to combat such a threat wouldn't be seen as unreasonable?

not in the uk, they are ment to be locked up

not possible to have a lockable cupboard in your bedroom then?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Paddy gets a phone call from police your house has been broken in to they've drank all your beer and raped your wife!!.....Paddy says I can't believe they shagged the mrs after only 4 cans! .

Personally if they are in your house how the hell are you supposed to know what their intentions are? 'oh im only here to rob your stuff' or 'oh im only here to rape and murder your kids'..... either

I personaly see it a reasanble force to cut the feckers hands off and cauterise the wound with salt so they cant re-attach the hands after. So do i see it a reasonable to shoot a burgler HELL YES I DO

It all boils down to what is reasonable at the time which leaves a lot of scope to be hung out to dry by a prosecutor depending what you say.

Your actions have to be absolutely necessary at the time as well as proportionate to the threat.

Warning shots are aload of balls, that's one wasted and if your on the house and fire one where is it going? Do you fire at a stud wall or a ceiling, what about ricochets?

If you are justified in shooting someone then shoot don't fire a warning, the sight of a firearm is a warning in itself. It might not be practical to shout a warning either. You will be shitting yourself and the adrenalin will be through the roof. Pointing and perhaps shooting a person is totally different ball game than shooting an animal.

Most people are not trained armed police or soldiers so even if your actions are perceived to be excessive as long as it can be proven that your life/lives were in danger and that your intent was to use the minimum use of force then hopefully things should swing your way.

The issue somebody mentioned earlier on about having easy access to a firearm as in under your bed is easily explained by the fact you couldn't sleep and you were cleaning your gun as it helps you sleep;)

If ever involved give just the very least of an account until you have a solicitor, none of this macho bollocks about shooting until they're dead etc.

Shoot to stop the threat not to kill as you will go down for that.

Dont forget we are entitled to Human Rights just the same as criminals etc.

if you live in a rough area and are therefore at risk of break ins couldn't it be seen as reasonable to keep a weapon to hand? the fact is most people have a kitchen (full of knives) around the back door area of their house, so chances are if someone broke in they'd do it at the back and have access to weapons straight away....so surely having your gun or whatever in your room to combat such a threat wouldn't be seen as unreasonable?

not in the uk, they are ment to be locked up

not possible to have a lockable cupboard in your bedroom then?

yes you can but not to combat threats ;)

you keep a lockable cupboard upstairs cos you ain't got room downstairs, you see someone downstairs who you believe is a threat to your family, your gun cupboard is upstairs even though the point of it being there was nothing to do with the potential threat you may encounter......whatever the reason for it being there you take your gun as you are scared for your own life and the life of your family. Not a lot of arguing with that is there?? :thumbs: I guess a lot of it would boil down to how good your defence lawyer is? hopefully none of us will ever be in that situation!

• Like 1

Never say that your firearms are for protection as it will be a sure way to lose them. We don't have a right to bear arms like America.

In theory your FCA should only be issued if you are not at any specific risk of losing your firearms eg house alarmed, kept securly, not living in a high crime area etc.

As rob190364 says a decent defence solicitor would be main thing.

Edited by Brewman

You must fire a warning shot first. Then if they still persue in coming towards you / attacking you then you are allowed to defend yourself with resondable force. But as the local rural policeman said shot them in the front no problems, if shot in back they are running away from you. So you are now not defending yourself but are the agressor now. Personally i would shoot first then ask questions later but i would have fired 2 shots. 1 warning next one making contact but not killing them just wounding them.

A local person i know had defended himself from 4 pykes braking into his yard. He shot at one of them. The pykes then reported him to the police who then arrested him and left his place open for them to return and take what they wanted, including leaving his house open till he was released from the police station next day. The police didn't ask what they were doing on his property.

I would protect my family at any cost or action. How do you know what they are there to do?

The law is an arse it is there to protect the criminals not the victims.

That's the bit I was about to post, if you did actually chase them out of the house and got to the gun in time to pepper there arses or blow there tyres, guess would'd be in the deeper shite??

It's a situation not many will ever find themselves in, luckily, and you simply would not have time to get to the gun unless it was being kept illegally.

I guess the rattle of a deactivated pump action being cycled, the most synister song to here through a door would deter most.

I also know a gut who sleeps with a loaded 12g by his bed, he has a few acres and a lake, shoots comorants at dawn.

Another chap keeps a deactivated side by side in the kitchen, but he has a licensed 12g as well.

Both would be in big trouble if they used them as a deterent.

Just makes you smile or cringe when you see all the yankee stuff designed for personal defence.

There's a hell of a lot of bollocks being talked on this thread.

Warning shots and not having time to get the gun blah blah bullshit.

As has been said the law is very clear and has been tested for those bothered to do a little bit of digging. It is perfectly legal to engage an intruder with whatever weapons you can arm yourself with. A man was woken by the sound of fumbling at his front door one night and believed he was being burgled, he grabbed a knife unlocked the door and stuck it in the lad killing him, only to find out it was a pissed relative trying to get into the wrong house! He wasn't charged!

As a side note, the Justice Secretary is due to ammend the law to further homeowners comfort in knowing what they can do to defend their homes. The use of 'grossly disproportionate' force will still be illegal, like setting them on fire after knocking them out. But force deemed 'excessive' in the cold light of day but reasonable to the victim at the time will be perfectly legal, like loading your shotgun and engaging intruders downstairs.

I'd imagine you'd need to have a good reason as to why you were able to access your guns so quickly? I'd also imagine you'd need to have done an excessive amount of warning, possibly including firing warning shots, and possibly including shooting to wound and not kill.

Not sure I'd be able to get to my guns so quickly if something were to happen to be honest. Might be better to have the odd golf club or baseball bat laying about. Even then it'll be asked "Is that where you'd normally keep such an item" and it would want to be as they'll check.

I think some toerag breaking into your home is a good enough reason to get your gun quickly and as for warning shots yep right in the back of the head :thumbs:

Shoot the c**t in the leg, then pepper the walls to make it look like fired warning shots first. All hypothetical of course since I've no shotgun :laugh: but in the real world, I'd give their arse a good sting with me catty :D

If some one came into my house there is no way i can get to the guns without going passed them first, i dont think the kids nerf guns will do much good, u if the threat was there anything will do.

rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

• Like 1

With luck I wont ever have to worry about burglars as I have f**k all worth nicking and honestly if theyve come for the wife then take the fecker on :laugh:

Paddy gets a phone call from police your house has been broken in to they've drank all your beer and raped your wife!!.....Paddy says I can't believe they shagged the mrs after only 4 cans! . :laugh:

• Like 6

A police officer once told me, whatever you do, do not shoot them in the back. It would be seen by the law as opening fire when the villain was retreating and that's not sporting!

I would certainly reach for my rifle and load it. Then give them the clearest warning to Feck off fast! If that fails, it seems clear to me they don't give a shit and are probably prepared to do me and mine some serious harm. So they are going to be shot dead on sight.

End of!

very interesting post this . my first idea would be simple shoot them dead . dont forget if you was to say wound the scum they would take everything you own & have worked for in compensation ,hypertheticaly not that i would in anyway :angel: you would have to say nowt & dispose of the body ,i believe pigs enjoy human flesh , i often wonder acctually how many burglars are caught & done away with quietly by the householders , oh & by the way when i was burgled whilst on holliday ,the cops said if they come back shoot them & say nowt :thumbs: