bolt or a stayer

anyone with a lot of ground to cover. and lots of foxes will have a bolting terrier. as the most important tool in the box. i despair sometimes i really do. used the right way most terriers will make good bolters. its not all about the dog. its about a partnership. and how the dog is used. if you plod all over the earth and make a racket. stick your head down the holes every two minutes . the chances of a bolt are slim. however if you go canny and stay downwind slip the dog from a distance. more often than not your fox will be out. and out sharpish :D . and BANG. its in the bag, now heres the thing if you are consistent in the way you work a terrier when it is young. and it see's success. its not long learning its trade :thumbs: . a lot of folk ridicule a good little bolting dog and to me that is a sign of inexperience in working large area's with a high population of foxes. its just not possible to get anywhere near the same numbers with a harder type.

not long ago i lost an old russell bitch that was tailor made. she bolted a fair few and also with a bit of shouting and balling i could get her out. and if a bolt didnt come then thats what i did. then sit and wait. not usually long before it showed :D . and again. BANG. and move on.

if a bolt isnt on the card then you can get the dog out. and you have options. :victory: either give it best or try a different terrier with a different work style.

a good baying dog that will stay if its to be dug or a strong terrier to kill it would of been the order of the day. pre ban :thumbs: its not rocket science :D allthough some would have you believe it was :laugh: the little russell i worked took a fair few hits over ten years and hardly a tooth in her head by the time she put her feet in the air. sorely missed now as i couldnt replace her like for like :cray:

• Like 7

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

anyone with a lot of ground to cover. and lots of foxes will have a bolting terrier. as the most important tool in the box. i despair sometimes i really do. used the right way most terriers will make

Dont think there is such an animal as a bolting terrier,any terrier will bolt a fox,hard or yapper as long as the fox has a way out away from the dog then it will go.Had a bolt from a shore only last

A quote like that usually comes from a meat head or someone that stays local and digs the same old usual few earths, or may be both?..Granted there not everyone's cup of tea (not particularly mine) &a

Posted Images

i would hope my dog stayed with the fox if it couldnt get the fox to bolt, would you want a dog that comes away?

i new a lad that had a dog that would come away after around half an hour. it got stuck in and then came away. you could set your watch by it :thumbs: he was a clever chap and got a lot of foxes with it :yes: .

i reckon i could of made good use of it , :thumbs:

theres a couple of ways of looking at this is the dog a jacker and not got what it takes or is the dog a clever biddable type now here goes i insist that a dog should stay till dug but in some spots that are undiggable what do you do walk by or use a different type of dog my son just lost an old russel bitch witch you could call out but would stay until dug to if required and i wish i could find another one like her if she got a fox to a stop and it was undiggable give her 10 mins then call her out fox would usualy be out with in minutes behind her and we could move on also this bitch was no push over as she took lots of stick and when she passed only had 3 teeth left as i said i preferr my terriers to stay but if another one like this came up i would not hesitate giving it a kennel

• Like 5

In certain places most defiantly ..

hang on a minute you were laughing at this on another thread............... :hmm: (or is my memory playing tricks)

i have a dog i call out ...................handy around big trees and if im not familiar with an earth i put him in to see what depth it is, then you can throw another dog in when hes called out or leave it ...............he aint no world beater , but hes bolted a few and served his purpose ,..................especially in some sticky situations when you got to get out quick.............

people forgot more than i know , ...........but i think these dogs are worth there wait in gold and an absoulute to a hunt terrierman before the ban.......

YOU SHOULD GET A FERRET [bANNED TEXT] AND LEAVE THE TERRIERS 2 DIGIN MEN,

thats right mate , your obviously a better man than me............... :thumbs:

& me, but I'd leave the digging to those men (or young boys) that can spell ;-)

Whippet you minds playing tricks fella, iv stuck my neck out on here a few times on the same subject, worth there kennel space to anyone that gets about, wether a terrierman or not

• Like 2

hey guys and girls just a quick question

what do you all prefur a terrier to stay and be dug or bolt a fox to awaiting guns?????

i know i would rather my terriers bolt a fox to the awaiting guns and with good reason to we can get a lot more ground done in a day and if we have to dig it just takes up to much time and that means less foxes we get to shoot..

cheers revmx

A lot of fellas in Australia want a dog to go in for 5 or 10 minutes, stir the shit out of the fox then come out. They sit back from the den and when the fox bolts it's either shot or runners get them. Way different I know but that's how a lot here do it, getting up to as said 20 dens a day so they do not want to dig, I know a team that use hounds near here and if they put a fox to ground they move on to the next area.

Generally it is about numbers, (we get a bounty from the government here in sunny Victoria $10.00 a scalp) and not about digging for some and to each their own.I have had great days out getting a heap of foxes, 20 to 30 plus in a day with small little yappers, mini foxies/ jack russell crosses and a team of good stag hounds.

We are farmers and we loose 100's of lambs a year to them and have had mates losing dairy calves as they are born with foxes eating the feet and tounges off. We have more foxes here than I have ever seen, a couple of magnificent breeding years, I think they bred twice last year given the numbers of young ones about or the number that survived most likely, we would take 100 plus a year from our 6000 acre home farm plus what ever we get on the other our other properties as well as other places we hunt.

But to revmx's question, I'll have my stayers any day and I couldn't care if I was there all day to get one fox as long as my dog worked well and at the end the dog is fine and we get another fox.

Cheers

• Like 1

For one my terrier will go In and after 20 min if the fox don't bolt ill call them out and wait another 10 min and 8 out 10 times the fox will bolt in the last 10 min and if it doesn't we will move on to the next den its simple when we hunt over 200000 acres we just do t have time to dig..... In saying that there is probely 2 put of 10 times when we have to dig

sorry but some days i do 6 or more foxes in a day. if i has to digg them all i will have maybe 3 in a day!

if realy deep or difficult(so a looooong time dig) then maybe just 1 fox a day!

so for results boulting is better the gun hunter know there business! :hunter:

so when they boult it is a nice easy/fast work. if not then digging :boogy: !!!

but when started digging the dog has to stay!!! (i hate to dig and when i´m close to the dog the dog went out) :angry:

diverend kinds of terrier work for diverend kinds of groundhunting styles and hunters!

the willingness to begin a digging make the diverence between groundterriermen and "normal" terriermen

keep on digging

• Like 1