bolt or a stayer

Appart from when i was having bother around pheasant pens or they were sick, lame or the terrier killed them, i always let vixens run until the ban. But now the law says i can only work my terriers for pest control purposes rather than for the management of foxes. I wonder how many foxes that would have been allowed to run, have been dispached because of the ban!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

anyone with a lot of ground to cover. and lots of foxes will have a bolting terrier. as the most important tool in the box. i despair sometimes i really do. used the right way most terriers will make

Dont think there is such an animal as a bolting terrier,any terrier will bolt a fox,hard or yapper as long as the fox has a way out away from the dog then it will go.Had a bolt from a shore only last

A quote like that usually comes from a meat head or someone that stays local and digs the same old usual few earths, or may be both?..Granted there not everyone's cup of tea (not particularly mine) &a

Posted Images

over in australia there is a real fox epidemic(only going on what some one who hunted over there fairly recently told me so please correct me if im wrong),.....we had a whipper in go over to hunt fox and he said it would be nothing to kill half a dozen + a day .........

now in england or especially where i hunt there are places where the foxes are a must in culling obviously on shoots or problem places and there are places with lack of old charlie boy and i aswell as alot of others prefer to give charlie a good chance and when i say chance that means to let her run for another day and there is nothing better to educate a fox and let it go ....... the purpose of hunting is to control and not eradicate only a fool would try to eradicate............

when we were allowed to hunt foxes with hounds i got as much pleasure seeing a good healthy fox give the hounds a good run and evade capture i would smile the same as if they caught it .........

i dont like to share company with people who cause cruelty and have a mind set that all foxes should be killed ,.............i dont call these people hunting folk , there just narrow minded people who has no respect for what they hunt ...................fair is the name of the game,.......

i believe also that a bolted fox with a terrier was respected by the huntsmen to give old reynard fair law..............or an injured one to be shot.......

there is definately a divide on this topic, some prefer to dig and some prefer to bolt and some prefer to do both when it suits them ,..........as i do myself....

we all enjoy the sport we do but we are still on here arguing , being told to get ferrets etc because i can call one of my dogs out lol, now i havent been in the game long but i exspect the people hiding behind the keyboard have always done more than your self....lol

happy hunting men and there should be plenty of time to dig/bolt over the christmas period..... :thumbs:

• Like 2

I have only been into earth work for the last year and a half and do prefer a nice dig. Its a prolonged thrill and i enjoy it much more than a bolt, but a bolt to gun, dog or net is very good fun, but for me a dig is the option. As im not doing it for a serious control of the numbers more of a days sport really.

So just because a fox bolts the terrier must be a jacker? Do me a favour? Do you even work terriers? A few years ago i owned a little red bitch that was about as hard a terrier as iv ever seen, and she would stay until dug to if what was infront of her wasnt for moving, and if i wasnt fast in breaking through her fox was usually dead, but she bolted a huge number of foxes. Once a terrier is put to ground the matter is out our hands and circumstances dictate what the end result wiill be. If charlie is in such a place that a bolt is possible and there is little noise above ground he is going to be on his toes rather than face the business end of an irrate terrier. If however he hears terriermen talking and teathered dogs whining etc then maybe he would rather find a vantage point underground amongst roots etc underground and take his chances fighting it out. The point i am making is the bitch i am talking of would engage her fox, killed and drew many foxes, wouldnt give an inch until broke through to, but also bolted a huge number of foxes...... the longest she was to ground was 39 hours in a big rock pile, when i broke through she had killed a big dog fox and was trying to deal with a vixen behind the fox she had already dealt with. She took a terrific amount of punishment that day and although she could have come off she stayed put to have it toe to toe.... but by the sounds of it she was a jacker because she bolted foxes as well. In the world of the working terrier you get what your given- be it a bolt or a dig, circumstances under your feet will dictate which, but it is an inexperienced or naieve terrierman that calls a dog that bolts fox a jacker!!

• Like 1

Appart from when i was having bother around pheasant pens or they were sick, lame or the terrier killed them, i always let vixens run until the ban. But now the law says i can only work my terriers for pest control purposes rather than for the management of foxes. I wonder how many foxes that would have been allowed to run, have been dispached because of the ban!!

I've had 2 vixens this season so far that would have been released in other areas but like the law says dig to them you got to kill them and feck being pulled over with a bagged fox,terriers and spades in the motor these days.

• Like 1

Your spot on fireman.... iv always let vixens run unless they not fit to, and fine looking dog foxes were also given grace......... in hunt country foxes were also managed rather than slaughtered, now the rifle brigade and snare lads dont mess about, any fox in sight is a dead or wounded fox. The men that hunted fox with hounds/ terriers managed the population killing the lame, sick and lazy- and its no coincidence that they were the problem foxes, an animal unable to hunt wild prey turns to an easy alternative..... livestock! I would like to see the actual figures of foxes killed the season after the ban compared to before the ban just so i could ask the antis- what have you f*****g acheived? How many foxes have you saved? Congratulations you bunch of inbred c**ts. You dont understand our countryside so f**k off back to watching jeremy kyle.

• Like 5

A bolting terrier?WTF,its a jacker.

what is your definition of a jacker mustard????? is a bolting terrier not useful in some mens eyes, are would you put your terrier{ the stayer } in any deep hole

Well lad,yes im sure a terrier like that is useful in some mans eyes,but in my eyes its a jacker and i wouldn't be portraying it as a digging dog.
  • Like 2

Your spot on fireman.... iv always let vixens run unless they not fit to, and fine looking dog foxes were also given grace......... in hunt country foxes were also managed rather than slaughtered, now the rifle brigade and snare lads dont mess about, any fox in sight is a dead or wounded fox. The men that hunted fox with hounds/ terriers managed the population killing the lame, sick and lazy- and its no coincidence that they were the problem foxes, an animal unable to hunt wild prey turns to an easy alternative..... livestock! I would like to see the actual figures of foxes killed the season after the ban compared to before the ban just so i could ask the antis- what have you f*****g acheived? How many foxes have you saved? Congratulations you bunch of inbred c**ts. You dont understand our countryside so f**k off back to watching jeremy kyle.

I like it !