what defines a working terrier?

Id like your opinions on what the title 'working terrier' means..... i know im going to take a bit of stick from those that dont agree with me, but im going to be controversial and stick my neck out: in my opinion a dog is not deserving of the title terrier if he or she is not commited to earthwork, ie going to ground and either bolting what is infront of it or staying until it is dug to. A dog that doesnt have the inciling to go to ground but instead chooses to bush, hunt rat or rabbit or whatever it chooses to persue it can certainly be decribed as working, but is it a terrier? As the name terrier (earthdog) suggests surely a terrier is only a terrier if he is dug to??

• Like 9

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

vixen the kerry blue was never ever classed as working over here were it originated from they where well known for being gasy cowardly bastids that would bite you when your back was turned as for the

Id like your opinions on what the title 'working terrier' means..... i know im going to take a bit of stick from those that dont agree with me, but im going to be controversial and stick my neck out

If everyone's terriers do what is expected then they are doing their job, don't let anyone on an internet hunting site let you think any less of your terriers for not doing exactly what they say or do

In my oppinion it is classed as work if the terrier/dog does what ever is available and put to, wether it be bushing for rabbits, hunting rat or under the turf. Ok so terrier may mean earthdog from old but times has changed and so has dogs attitudes so like said work imo is what is put in front of it, at the end of the day it has a job to do

• Like 1

yes a terrier is a dog that works under the ground, it takes alot of gameness and a dog that wont back away, the ones that cant do the job just dont have the balls there are plenty of dogs that work hard on the sod but the real test is underground jmho.

• Like 6

So basicly you can still class a bushing terrier as a "working terrier" but as a true test for the dog stick it in the ground if it doesn't stay till dug to the it can still be called a working terrier because it still has a job to do but its just not a earthdog?

So because terrier means earth dog, you cant call a bulldog a bulldog if it doesnt bait bulls? Or cant own a Patterdale unless it comes from that area of Cumbria? How many times does it have to be dug to before its called Working? So many questions! :whistling:

listen a terrier was bred to work underground and thats the yard stick there measured by if they dont work to ground in my opinion there still terriers as thats what they look like but they are nt working terriers some terriers excell at ratting bushing general mooching but to call them working in same breath as an earth dog is a slight in justice to the dog that works his heart out in the most demanding condtions asked of any dog so sporting for the non earth dogs sounds fair to me they many excell and work hard ratting and bushing and please there owners which is main thing but to call them working is a no no for me !
  • Like 6

Id like your opinions on what the title 'working terrier' means..... i know im going to take a bit of stick from those that dont agree with me, but im going to be controversial and stick my neck out: in my opinion a dog is not deserving of the title terrier if he or she is not commited to earthwork, ie going to ground and either bolting what is infront of it or staying until it is dug to. A dog that doesnt have the inciling to go to ground but instead chooses to bush, hunt rat or rabbit or whatever it chooses to persue it can certainly be decribed as working, but is it a terrier? As the name terrier (earthdog) suggests surely a terrier is only a terrier if he is dug to??

heart
  • Like 1

So because terrier means earth dog, you cant call a bulldog a bulldog if it doesnt bait bulls? Or cant own a Patterdale unless it comes from that area of Cumbria? How many times does it have to be dug to before its called Working? So many questions! :whistling:

listen a terrier was bred to work underground and thats the yard stick there measured by if they dont work to ground in my opinion there still terriers as thats what they look like but they are nt working terriers some terriers excell at ratting bushing general mooching but to call them working in same breath as an earth dog is a slight in justice to the dog that works his heart out in the most demanding condtions asked of any dog so sporting for the non earth dogs sounds fair to me they many excell and work hard ratting and bushing and please there owners which is main thing but to call them working is a no no for me !

I imagine the people working Airedales/Kerry blues or wheatens would disagree with your statement..........and i think these TERRIER breeds would have quite a job getting to ground........... :)

I think it depends on whatever you enjoy best, for me it's ratting its fast and furious a real adrenalin rush. I don't put my dogs to ground, that does not mean they wouldn't go to ground. Does not mean to say my dogs or any body else's dogs are not terriers that just ridiculous

• Like 3

I imagine the people working Airedales/Kerry blues or wheatens would disagree with your statement..........and i think these TERRIER breeds would have quite a job getting to ground........... :)

pmsl
  • Like 1