what defines a working terrier?

i sort of agree way the 1st few posts, there is a serious diffrence bettwen a digging dog an a terrier used for bushing/rats or whatever else ye can think of doing with a terrier lol i keep a terrier here an she would not have made the grade as a digging dog, she walked whilst on, then refused to go, she was kept for bushing an other jobs just cos she was a joy to have around, and done the other jobs well. she ended up entering again an bolted her 1st 20 foxes, so i couldnt even get a dig to her lol, i have had digs to her now tho, but she still aint a digging dog in my eyes, the guys that think there is no diffrence between a digging dog an a ratter or a busher, go an try ye ratter or ye busher for a dig, an 9 times out of 10 the dog wont do the job, yet a digging dog will bush or rat allday if given the chance, im sure that says it all.... :thumbs:

Got to Agree there... :thumbs: Terriers all the same Tho ..just different Levels & Type.. ;)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

vixen the kerry blue was never ever classed as working over here were it originated from they where well known for being gasy cowardly bastids that would bite you when your back was turned as for the

Id like your opinions on what the title 'working terrier' means..... i know im going to take a bit of stick from those that dont agree with me, but im going to be controversial and stick my neck out

If everyone's terriers do what is expected then they are doing their job, don't let anyone on an internet hunting site let you think any less of your terriers for not doing exactly what they say or do

A working terrier is the one that is doing what I need it to, be it fetching a dove I shoot, pulling coon from the briars and brush piles, working the rocks, or hunting hogs. If it's not... well it's not working. When folks start lining up to pay the feed bill... maybe I'll take requests. Untill then I say work your dog as you see fit. A working terrier doesn't give a sht what you call it while it's working anyway. People who spend an inordinate amount of time trying to pin a tag on a dogs ass that they have never even laid eyes on... likely don't have much of a working terrier themselves, and probably should be offering advice on breeding. My dogs hunt. I work. Nuff said.

• Like 5

i sort of agree way the 1st few posts, there is a serious diffrence bettwen a digging dog an a terrier used for bushing/rats or whatever else ye can think of doing with a terrier lol i keep a terrier here an she would not have made the grade as a digging dog, she walked whilst on, then refused to go, she was kept for bushing an other jobs just cos she was a joy to have around, and done the other jobs well. she ended up entering again an bolted her 1st 20 foxes, so i couldnt even get a dig to her lol, i have had digs to her now tho, but she still aint a digging dog in my eyes, the guys that think there is no diffrence between a digging dog an a ratter or a busher, go an try ye ratter or ye busher for a dig, an 9 times out of 10 the dog wont do the job, yet a digging dog will bush or rat allday if given the chance, im sure that says it all.... :thumbs:

I have seen excellent digging dogs refuse to go in thick cover............ :thumbs:

• Like 1

I have seen excellent digging dogs refuse to go in thick cover............ :thumbs:

I think you would describe that has a working terrier that doesnt like cover.

In my oppinion it is classed as work if the terrier/dog does what ever is available and put to, wether it be bushing for rabbits, hunting rat or under the turf. Ok so terrier may mean earthdog from old but times has changed and so has dogs attitudes so like said work imo is what is put in front of it, at the end of the day it has a job to do

Nothing has changed.The stuff is still below ground and if you want it out then you will need a dog who can first of all physically gain access and at the same time have heart and desire to stay there until he is removed. That dog is still known has a terrier or earth dog.

Right my two bobs for what it's worth lol. Bushing and digging dog both deserve the title "working ". In the same sense that what a postman does and a bomb disposal soldier in Afganistan are both called " jobs" it just takes a different amount of minerals to do lol

• Like 4

Surely then, a working terrier is a terrier that does the work you ask of it? Plain and simple. Its just this "work" takes different forms. I dont have a fraction of experience that a lot of you lads have, il admit, but this idea that if a dog dont go to ground, its a 2nd rate citizen, doesnt sit well with me. :hmm:

@ man of Kent. You'll find people will make a gift of a failed earth dog and say it's ok for Bushing or ratting but you're rairly find someone make a gift to a stranger of an proper earth dog! A good earth dog can be a hard thing to get but Bushing and ratting dogs are ten a penny so to speak.

• Like 2

I think you would describe that has a working terrier that doesnt like cover.

in that case i would have to kennel extra dogs to do the jobs the (working) terrier is incapable of. :yes:

fk me a terrier's a terrier,a collie's a collie weather it works sheep or not,i own plummer terriers,my pall owns lakelands,yes granted terriers that go to ground may have there metal tested more than terriers that work above ground,but there all terriers,since the ban not every one has acses to earth work,doesn't mean there dogs arn't capable of the job.as stated in another post terrier[terra]means earth or earth dog,but terriers have been worked as versitile dogs for a hell of a long time,bull terriers have had to go jaw to jaw in bloody combat fore god knows how long,should they not be called terriers because they dont go to ground,its up to the individual how they work there dogs,weather there earth dogs,bushing dogs ,ratting dogs or all rounders.all the same happy hunting to all you terruer men out there.

I wouldn't agree there are working breeds of terrier but just because you have one doesn't mean it's a working terrier mores the pity

terrier = digging dog :thumbs:

ratter /busher =sporting terriers :bye:

bigger terriers = bigger terriers :whistling:

as for digging dogs refusing to face cover........they are digging dogs for a reason to dig to! :blink:

also there are one other type of terrier noone has mentioned ....the show terrier never seen a field or faced quarry or anything these terriers are usually called ..........borders!!!!!!!!! :D

little joke there ..but many a true word spoken in jest.. :thumbs:

• Like 2

But what about a terrier that is very capable of doing earth work, but doesnt because the owner uses it for ratting/bushing/rabbits, does that make it a non working/2nd rate dog?

that would mean its a working breed of terrier how can you call it a working terrier if its not proven to ground a sporting terrier is for rats/bushing