what defines a working terrier?

Id like your opinions on what the title 'working terrier' means..... i know im going to take a bit of stick from those that dont agree with me, but im going to be controversial and stick my neck out: in my opinion a dog is not deserving of the title terrier if he or she is not commited to earthwork, ie going to ground and either bolting what is infront of it or staying until it is dug to. A dog that doesnt have the inciling to go to ground but instead chooses to bush, hunt rat or rabbit or whatever it chooses to persue it can certainly be decribed as working, but is it a terrier? As the name terrier (earthdog) suggests surely a terrier is only a terrier if he is dug to??

A working terrier is a terrier that does the work you require of it, you define the type of work it does, and they perform it, horses for courses.................

• Like 5

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

vixen the kerry blue was never ever classed as working over here were it originated from they where well known for being gasy cowardly bastids that would bite you when your back was turned as for the

Id like your opinions on what the title 'working terrier' means..... i know im going to take a bit of stick from those that dont agree with me, but im going to be controversial and stick my neck out

If everyone's terriers do what is expected then they are doing their job, don't let anyone on an internet hunting site let you think any less of your terriers for not doing exactly what they say or do

I knew this topic would be hottly debated and thats good, luckily for us the little fellas are versatile little chaps! My dogs love to be out shooting tree rats for instance, standing on hind legs til i knock them out the branches but i personally wouldnt give kennel space to a dog that isnt an earthdog. You have to take your hat off to a little mite of a dog that crawls down a dark, damp hole to be bitten on the nose often from a foe striking down from a ledge or from amongst the roots. Because i handle my foxes iv felt first hand how punishing charlies ivorys can be. Rat dogs are rat dogs and they are great little dogs at their job and that has to be admired but lets face it a poodl given the chance will kill rats with a degree of competence

• Like 2

fk me a terrier's a terrier,a collie's a collie weather it works sheep or not,i own plummer terriers,my pall owns lakelands,yes granted terriers that go to ground may have there metal tested more than terriers that work above ground,but there all terriers,since the ban not every one has acses to earth work,doesn't mean there dogs arn't capable of the job.as stated in another post terrier[terra]means earth or earth dog,but terriers have been worked as versitile dogs for a hell of a long time,bull terriers have had to go jaw to jaw in bloody combat fore god knows how long,should they not be called terriers because they dont go to ground,its up to the individual how they work there dogs,weather there earth dogs,bushing dogs ,ratting dogs or all rounders.all the same happy hunting to all you terruer men out there.

I cant see why a dog that gives its all in the job you have given it, makes it less of a terrier because its above ground? Ive seen some mean looking poodles, with a great nose! (very black and shiny) :tongue2:

yes heard the same,thinking about getting a poodle as an all rounder'that way i won't have to justify why my terrier's called a terrier,heard it all now ,i'm out of here. :bye:

Fair enough u entitled to it. But like i say a true working terrier is an earth dog. A dog that goes to ground, finds and stays for hours until dug to is tested to the maximum both mentally and physically and it is disillusional to say that a rat dog or bushing dog is tested as fully and therfore its slightly unfair to categorise them all as working terriers. Fact of the matter is a proper terrierman wouldnt consider breeding from a ratting dog or bushing dog....... its earthdog to earthbitch. And thats my opinion

• Like 2