deer dogs (preban)

pound for pound,, i think the the munty can be 1 deer what will not lie down and take it,,,iff it was the size of a fallow the dog would have its hands full, this dog has bin done before, off them, dependind were they grab them, and how buck feels on the day, things can soon go wrong,,, they look like some,think out of a horror film,,

IMG_5105.jpg

Edited by tjones3862
  • Like 2

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

It's a shame you can't cross muntys with reds, then you'd have a serious test for dog!! The bucks would be f*****g ruthless lol imagine the noise too.

I remember hearing someone say its a shame theres no munties where they live as they would be ideal for whippets !!! I just chuckled and carried on,

Another thing aswell it takes a lot out out of a dog with munties as once they have been spiked most dogs grab them and keep shaking till there owner arrives. When your dog has hold of one in a big wood it can be hard to pinpoint where dog and deer are. This is a good test of a dog especially as they may have to do this 3 or 4 times in a morning ....

• Like 1

I remember hearing someone say its a shame theres no munties where they live as they would be ideal for whippets !!! I just chuckled and carried on,

Another thing aswell it takes a lot out out of a dog with munties as once they have been spiked most dogs grab them and keep shaking till there owner arrives. When your dog has hold of one in a big wood it can be hard to pinpoint where dog and deer are. This is a good test of a dog especially as they may have to do this 3 or 4 times in a morning ....

Very true...

Edited by CHALKWARREN

Fitchet if you feel strongly enough to put muntjac in higher regard than roe fallow or red thats up to you but I dont :no: If your talking of aggression? a fully mature fallow buck would be top of my list they can and do kill dogs :yes: Ive never heard of a dog being killed off a muntjac? if it has happend it would be a fluke a muntjac bites to try and escape not to try and kill the dog :no: In the rut a fallow buck will stop running turn around and physically beat a dog to death because it can :yes:

Edited by C Hall

Fitchet if you feel strongly enough to put muntjac in higher regard than roe fallow or red thats up to you I dont :no: If your talking of aggression a fully mature fallow buck would be top of my list they can and do kill dogs :yes: Ive never heard of a dog been killed off a munjac? if it has happend it would be a fluke a munjac bites to try and escape not to try and kill the dog :no: In the rut a fallow buck will stop running turn around and physically beat a dog to death because it can :yes:

I agree with you on above ,but just because of pure size and weight every time a red stag is the daddy ,I've seen a few dogs single handed take and hold down a fallow buck in rut , I've lost a dog too to one in rut ,but I think you would lose a dog every time if it was one on to one with a red and the red wanted it and wasn't going to run..

• Like 1

Fitchet if you feel strongly enough to put muntjac in higher regard than roe fallow or red thats up to you but I dont :no: If your talking of aggression? a fully mature fallow buck would be top of my list they can and do kill dogs :yes: Ive never heard of a dog being killed off a muntjac? if it has happend it would be a fluke a muntjac bites to try and escape not to try and kill the dog :no: In the rut a fallow buck will stop running turn around and physically beat a dog to death because it can :yes:

I dont think you can list what is easier and what isnt but your obviously a know it all so crack on. Im happy enough with myself and my dogs and im not really into bitching on a forum. If youve got anything else to say to me take it to pm. Lets not ruin a good thread eh ?

Fitchet if you feel strongly enough to put muntjac in higher regard than roe fallow or red thats up to you I dont :no: If your talking of aggression a fully mature fallow buck would be top of my list they can and do kill dogs :yes: Ive never heard of a dog been killed off a munjac? if it has happend it would be a fluke a munjac bites to try and escape not to try and kill the dog :no: In the rut a fallow buck will stop running turn around and physically beat a dog to death because it can :yes:

I agree with you on above ,but just because of pure size and weight every time a red stag is the daddy ,I've seen a few dogs single handed take and hold down a fallow buck in rut , I've lost a dog too to one in rut ,but I think you would lose a dog every time if it was one on to one with a red and the red wanted it and wasn't going to run..

Yes I agree with you on the red stags :thumbs: I dont think any dog is capable of taking red stags single without a fluke :no: not even a malamute or malamute x greyhound :laugh:

• Like 1

Yes I agree with you on the red stags :thumbs: I dont think any dog is capable of taking red stags single without a fluke :no: not even a malamute or malamute x greyhound :laugh:

oh I forgot about a mal x well that changes my mind :laugh::laugh:

Fallow are so strong, even when not in full flow they take some putting down and when they're down its not all over.

I've seen a few big dogs get dragged around like they were rag dolls, I've got nothing but respect for the dogs and lads doing them regular as they soon find a dog out and a lot of runs invariably end in tears.

• Like 1

I dont think you can list what is easier and what isnt but your obviously a know it all so crack on. Im happy enough with myself and my dogs and im not really into bitching on a forum. If youve got anything else to say to me take it to pm. Lets not ruin a good thread eh ?

I dont know it all and dont pretend to :nono: Its my opinion and thats what these forums are about, giving opinions is it not? :) As far as I can see nobody is bitching or ruining anything :thumbs:

i agree with you, once witnessed it takes alot to slip your dog again. i nearly lost 2 dogs to 1 fallow buck that didn`t want to play ball, munties are munties and due to how you have to hunt them injuries are part and parcel of the game.

Fallow are so strong, even when not in full flow they take some putting down and when they're down its not all over.

I've seen a few big dogs get dragged around like they were rag dolls, I've got nothing but respect for the dogs and lads doing them regular as they soon find a dog out and a lot of runs invariably end in tears.

what I've seen mate a smaller dog with technique will out do a big dog with just brawn on them ,but if you have both your on a winner ,if that makes sense :thumbs:

• Like 4

what I've seen mate a smaller dog with technique will out do a big dog with just brawn on them ,but if you have both your on a winner ,if that makes sense :thumbs:

Even then its not allways a guarantee as i lost a bitch last season she had the knack and very rarely she would finish them off before we even arrived on the scene. The last time i saw her she got dragged off into a forestry block by a mammoth of a buck. Found her stone dead. My guess is she had been bashed on a tree or similar. But thats the thing with dogs that give a 100% i suppose ....