david hancock lurchers

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borderscott,I do keep plummer type terriers amongst others ,I thought I'd put a few pics in to brighten your obvious dull existence living in sh*tsville,I know you don't get out much so here's a few m

Away back....before the internet was in the ken of normal mortals....Blake Farm was probably a bit rough and ready.....but ye made yer choice, paid yer money and fecked off home....nowadays it's certa

I pointed several folk towards both the Welsh litter and Magpie's pups and another litter on here a while ago which escapes me now...........   One fella who sent several PMs in his 'long and fruit

Posted Images

Pup with the red collar on,his future stud dog?

Litter brother to my bitch

BBB,this bitch will be hammered by work so we will see whats being produced now,hope you do the same with yours,it will be interesting ????

The fact that yours is to be 'hammered' with work will hardly be an indicator of what he's producing now....will it.... :hmm::hmm::hmm: It will show you how good your bitch is....nothing more....to suggest otherwise is just silly..... :thumbs: You can't just take one Hancock pup out of one Hancock litter and use it as a benchmark as to the quality of everything Hancock is producing......and that's basically what you are suggesting here..... :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

Borderscott,I see you're being your normal pedantic self, examining every word for a chance to criticise,it is not my dog but my lads and the bitch will in no way be a marker to his breed standard but I have owned every possible collie cross both from him and others,so its not rocket science to see whats being produced by "WOODIE",this is his first litter so we were asked to keep in touch as to her progress,I would never buy one from him or any other non worked dog,WM

Really didn't have to examine it to see how stupid your statement is......you say you will see what's being produced now because your/sons bitch is to be hammered with work.....you won't see what's being produced by Woody on the strength of how your son's bitch turns out..... :thumbs: I'll say it again....to suggest this is the case is simply stupid... :yes:

Good luck to your lad though..... :thumbs:

I have read a lot of for and against about getting a pup from david hancock be that he never works his dogs etc, but what you do get from him is what it says on the tin a mixture of collie and greyhound. when looking back on this site someone will ask I am after a lurcher what cross should I go for,,, then a lot of lads say go for a colliexgrey be that 3/8 5/8..etc.

then the lad asks were can I get such a cross and the only answer is from hancocks yard as he is the only man breeding a genuine colliex, you can have a look in the countrymans every week and not see a litter being breed. most dog lads that come on this site run lurcherxlurcher ok they may well have a lot of collie in them but they not a genuine collie cross.

so love him or hate him the only place you can buy a collie grey is to go to hancocks yard...imo

• Like 1

You could look at it starting from the 80s there has been 25-30 years breeding to get the stud woody with maybe no working background behind them. or the stud dogs used have produced decent dogs from feedback to hancock etc. you pay your money and make your own choice. good luck to wirralmans lad with his pup. :thumbs:

• Like 3

i would saythis whilst on paper woody delboy and boyce come has half xs , genetically they couldbe far from this . and whilst not being tested inthe field , there progeny may not be ablel to stay sound. whilst this could be said of any other three quarter type ,the odds are and would be more in favour of general f1s to greyhounds to stay sound . the idea of using older established stock ,gives one the knowledge from feed back of soundness constitution and working ability , ,atb bunnys.

• Like 1

It's always good to know. . . . . that you don't need to breed worker x worker to get good dogs. We can all sleep easy now. . . . .

No, you don't. You need good base lines, but breeding lurcher to lurcher, however good they work, is a lottery. It always has been and always willbe UNLESS you know the exact lines of each - but that is more selective breeding than just worker to worker.

I despair sometimes of the general ignorance that is shown. I have bred my strain true for over 30 years. Not as a mney maker,just to replace my own dog when needed. If people understood breeding and genetics you wouldnt see so much claptrap as that written in the previous 14 pages. There are some good posts, but you can spot the "I am a brilliant lurcherman" posts a mile off. These then get backed up by the "how many rabbits has your dog caught then?" argument.....In my case, THREE, because we don't have any - not had a rabbit on the farm for 15 or more years. Nor the surrounding 5000 acres either - where they went I have no idea, the badgers dug a lot out, the rest just died off. We have got a few hares though - but the "brilliant lurchermen" and their lamps killed 5 the other night - how do I know? Because they left them thrown in a heap in the wood - what sort of people would do that? Perfectly good meat, just thrown away?

I don't come on here very often, depsite 45 years of lurcher running behind me, and plenty of coursing experience in this country, UAE, USA, Portugal, India and Pakistan. But what the hell do I know? The sheer basic ignorance that is expounded is unbelievable sometimes.

My current young dog

Tigs01.jpg

Tigs01-1_zpsfcf5e8c9.jpg

His mother

Fly011.jpg

Fly001.jpg

Fly014.jpg

Both together on a walk out

FlyTigs01.jpg

Can't remember the last time I read such an arrogant post,,, I confess to knowing nothing off genetics ,,, but are you 100 present sure of the male giving more to the pups than the dam,,, I would of thought it was exactly equal. Also Hancock uses grey bitches,, and collie studs,, or half cross studs,,, and what's all this collie greyhound ,,,greyhound collie nonsense ,,, Jesus fella loosen up

Of course like I say I know nothing of genetics,, but I can get a dog to catch a bit of game,,, and 1 thing that stands out with a fit lurcher,, is its over all condition,,,,, something lacking in that pic you put up,, instead of tracking a bit of game you have shot,, why not use the dog or what it's bred for,, might get a bit of condition on it,, and widen that narrow old chest out

• Like 4

You could look at it starting from the 80s there has been 25-30 years breeding to get the stud woody with maybe no working background behind them. or the stud dogs used have produced decent dogs from feedback to hancock etc. you pay your money and make your own choice. good luck to wirralmans lad with his pup. :thumbs:

True it did start in the 80s with a massive advertiseing campain for his unusual coulour bred collie crosses.Nobody holds a gun to your head to buy his pups at the end of the day.

• Like 2

It's always good to know. . . . . that you don't need to breed worker x worker to get good dogs. We can all sleep easy now. . . . .

No, you don't. You need good base lines, but breeding lurcher to lurcher, however good they work, is a lottery. It always has been and always willbe UNLESS you know the exact lines of each - but that is more selective breeding than just worker to worker.

I despair sometimes of the general ignorance that is shown. I have bred my strain true for over 30 years. Not as a mney maker,just to replace my own dog when needed. If people understood breeding and genetics you wouldnt see so much claptrap as that written in the previous 14 pages. There are some good posts, but you can spot the "I am a brilliant lurcherman" posts a mile off. These then get backed up by the "how many rabbits has your dog caught then?" argument.....In my case, THREE, because we don't have any - not had a rabbit on the farm for 15 or more years. Nor the surrounding 5000 acres either - where they went I have no idea, the badgers dug a lot out, the rest just died off. We have got a few hares though - but the "brilliant lurchermen" and their lamps killed 5 the other night - how do I know? Because they left them thrown in a heap in the wood - what sort of people would do that? Perfectly good meat, just thrown away?

I don't come on here very often, depsite 45 years of lurcher running behind me, and plenty of coursing experience in this country, UAE, USA, Portugal, India and Pakistan. But what the hell do I know? The sheer basic ignorance that is expounded is unbelievable sometimes.

My current young dog

Tigs01.jpg

Tigs01-1_zpsfcf5e8c9.jpg

His mother

Fly011.jpg

Fly001.jpg

Fly014.jpg

FlyTigs01.jpg

Can't remember the last time I read such an arrogant post,,, I confess to knowing nothing off genetics ,,, but are you 100 present sure of the male giving more to the pups than the dam,,, I would of thought it was exactly equal. Also Hancock uses grey bitches,, and collie studs,, or half cross studs,,, and what's all this collie greyhound ,,,greyhound collie nonsense ,,, Jesus fella loosen up

Of course like I say I know nothing of genetics,, but I can get a dog to catch a bit of game,,, and 1 thing that stands out with a fit lurcher,, is its over all condition,,,,, something lacking in that pic you put up,, instead of tracking a bit of game you have shot,, why not use the dog or what it's bred for,, might get a bit of condition on it,, and widen that narrow old chest out

:laugh: @ TOMO

My current young dog

Tigs01.jpg

Tigs01-1_zpsfcf5e8c9.jpg

His mother

Fly011.jpg

Fly001.jpg

Fly014.jpg

FlyTigs01.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fantastic post Tomo :yes:

There's enough tripe on these last few pages to have the dogs watering at the mouth :yes::laugh:

Lol tomo

Accip make your mind up pal you liked that accuspell post then liked tomos lol talk about Sat on a fence, this thread tells me something... you can read a few books an be all cracked up on theory, and think you know the score. Or you can learn the basics get out in field and see how the real world really works lol

• Like 1

Borderscot,all 3 of those new stud dogs came out the same litter,the largest (boycie) has been put to the bigger greyhound bitches to produce bigger pups and its only through feedback from working lads that a pattern will emerge as to what is the best producer,you must remember that these are the first litters from these new stud dogs, years ago we all knew good dogs off the likes of "CHUCKLES" "TAFFY" etc, so without feedback from honest working lads you have no measuring stick or if you need to change direction genetically,I can't understand keeping 3 stud dogs out of the same litter by looks alone but its none of my business.I have no axe to grind one way or the other regarding his dogs as I'll never own one but I will give him honest feedback on the working ability of this bitch,WM

p.s. Are you the lad that runs the plastic bagchasers at the gamefairs????

a couple of my old lurchers collie bred

• Like 2

Borderscot,all 3 of those new stud dogs came out the same litter,the largest (boycie) has been put to the bigger greyhound bitches to produce bigger pups and its only through feedback from working lads that a pattern will emerge as to what is the best producer,you must remember that these are the first litters from these new stud dogs, years ago we all knew good dogs off the likes of "CHUCKLES" "TAFFY" etc, so without feedback from honest working lads you have no measuring stick or if you need to change direction genetically,I can't understand keeping 3 stud dogs out of the same litter by looks alone but its none of my business.I have no axe to grind one way or the other regarding his dogs as I'll never own one but I will give him honest feedback on the working ability of this bitch,WM

p.s. Are you the lad that runs the plastic bagchasers at the gamefairs????

attachicon.gifDSCN1100.jpg

attachicon.gifnew folder.jpg

a couple of my old lurchers collie bred

Honestly, spare me the illustrated lecture.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Never ran a dog at a plastic bag at a gamefair in my life.......you got the wrong person .....come to think of it....I've been to one gamefair in the last 25 years..... :thumbs:

So, whoever's feeding you that info is about as wide of the mark as you are..... :laugh: and since your silliness is becoming even sillier I'm gonna bow out with a white flag. :thumbs:

ps...are you the old fella who'da liked to have been Brian Plummer....... :hmm:

Lol tomo

Accip make your mind up pal you liked that accuspell post then liked tomos lol talk about Sat on a fence, this thread tells me something... you can read a few books an be all cracked up on theory, and think you know the score. Or you can learn the basics get out in field and see how the real world really works lol

[/quote

Yeh I agreed with points in accuspell first post & I also agreed with some of tomo's points in his reply to accuspell second, it's called a discussion mate if you hadn't noticed, as for getting in the feild I have worked & seen Hancock dogs work, they caught rabbits, hares & foxes, what more do you want? ATB