locator collars and terriers

i use locators but still find myself listening down the T bar, old habbits and all that.

same as that ali especially when starting young dogs as i lkie to know there up tight and personal before digging to them plus accidents do happen kit can fail collars can be forgotten to be switched on etc so we usually have a few digs a year where its ear to ground and t bar .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Breaking through to a terrier without having switched on a fancy coloured beeping box is a good dig. Im(humble)o a skill that is probably getting quite rare.

i remember one dig very well we were on a farm one saturday afternoon about 4 o clock in september we were using my friends lakeland a show dog that dident make the grade but the best lakeland i have

Surely they wont have effected a bolting type dog as if it bolts then there's no use for the collar anyway.. How ever it will have changed the people who use terriers and how they go about things, I'd

I have dug for many years without locater systems as they were not about when i started with terriers but back nthen you had to choose your earths to dig as a deepish earth was a no go because unless you had a bolt you would be there for the day trying to locate your dog and if the dog was anyway hard he could take a lot of punishment in the time it would take to get to him,also many the good terrier was lost in the process.With the invention of locaters we can now drop a terrier in literly any earth as they can be located quickly and with help be dug to but i still never lost the habit of bringing the t bar along,lol.

• Like 2

I have heard of some big dig's over the year's and some being 15ft+ ...how would the old school no locator kind of guy locate such a deep terrier..surely you would not be able to hear a peep out of the terrier that deep.. :hmm:

I have heard of some big dig's over the year's and some being 15ft+ ...how would the old school no locator kind of guy locate such a deep terrier..surely you would not be able to hear a peep out of the terrier that deep.. :hmm:

i remember one dig very well we were on a farm one saturday afternoon about 4 o clock in september we were using my friends lakeland a show dog that dident make the grade but the best lakeland i have seen on a fox we came to a set with a good sent of fox the dog was mad to get off we had a look around and decided to let the dog in after about 30 seconds he started to work but about 25 feet out we could just hear him at the mouth of the hole witch was down a bank about 4 or 5 foot but we couldent hear a thing out in the field we bared and sounded and then tried to call the dog out but no joy we left at 8 :30 or so because it was pitch black and my friend left his coat at the mouth of the hole witch we had done before and the dog was lying on it the next day. we came back the next morning there was no sign of the dog and we couldent hear him i though he had left but my friend assured me he would be still there we took a guess where he would be going from the direction of his bark the day before and started to dig . 2ft of top soil 3ft or so of blue clay and then hard grevel stone you name it it was there 12 foot later and still no sound i was standing having a rest when i heard a very faint sound to my right side about 3 ft from the bottom i started to bar in and found the dog when i dug in to him he was stuck he had killed a fox and and pushed past it and killed another and he couldent get back .another hour or two and he would have been dead we had to carry him back to the car.i never went back to that until about 10 years ago my son was going down one day and asked me if i wanted to go and i said no and you are mad if you go he said they couldent be that bad.there were 4 of them 16 ft locator collar and all they got a nice 6 hour dig to them selves in the pouring rain, f--k i laughed.atb coverdogs
  • Like 6

i remember one dig very well we were on a farm one saturday afternoon about 4 o clock in september we were using my friends lakeland a show dog that dident make the grade but the best lakeland i have seen on a fox we came to a set with a good sent of fox the dog was mad to get off we had a look around and decided to let the dog in after about 30 seconds he started to work but about 25 feet out we could just hear him at the mouth of the hole witch was down a bank about 4 or 5 foot but we couldent hear a thing out in the field we bared and sounded and then tried to call the dog out but no joy we left at 8 :30 or so because it was pitch black and my friend left his coat at the mouth of the hole witch we had done before and the dog was lying on it the next day. we came back the next morning there was no sign of the dog and we couldent hear him i though he had left but my friend assured me he would be still there we took a guess where he would be going from the direction of his bark the day before and started to dig . 2ft of top soil 3ft or so of blue clay and then hard grevel stone you name it it was there 12 foot later and still no sound i was standing having a rest when i heard a very faint sound to my right side about 3 ft from the bottom i started to bar in and found the dog when i dug in to him he was stuck he had killed a fox and and pushed past it and killed another and he couldent get back .another hour or two and he would have been dead we had to carry him back to the car.i never went back to that until about 10 years ago my son was going down one day and asked me if i wanted to go and i said no and you are mad if you go he said they couldent be that bad.there were 4 of them 16 ft locator collar and all they got a nice 6 hour dig to them selves in the pouring rain, f--k i laughed.atb coverdogs

You were lucky,I have been that soldier.

Surely.. :hmm:

DEEPDIGGD.jpg

• Like 2

as a starter to the sport the deepest ive done is about 6 foot but before i turn my box on i have a good listen around and then turn my box on and home in on it but i was talking to my old man about this and he said for years they never had a locator and they said they got on fine with using a bar but i could never leave my house with out a locator but i was just speaking too a man from up yorkshire he repairs the old deben boxs ive just sent mine up to him but he said hes got all the parts to start making a the old deben boxes again but hes gonna make them to go to 20 foot soo when i get one ill report and tell you how it was