MINSHAW .....

Thanks Giro. I have been out of the game for 35 years since the late seventies/ eighties. I am sure things have changed a lot since then. I saw some of the best and so called best dogs run who were doing the rounds at the time,

I didn't really like the numbers game but at the time you had no choice but to join in.

• Like 1

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to add to the thread,,,I know most have seen the pic befor,,,but possibly not tree hands ....   Venus ,,half minshaw,,half coursing dog,,,littler sister to swift,,the black and white bitch fran

I wasn't ever going to comment on this thread ever , I wasn't prepared to say anything about the breed or the men although I've seen a few run and know a lot of the men mentioned including victor gh

I did manage to find a single photograph all be it not a great one. Can't really remember the night but the blue bitch in the picture belonged to my old mate from Workington.   The Handsome guy in

Posted Images

It sounded like a golden era..

Plenty of game and more socially accepted..

I'd of rather been born back then and had more freedom to hunt.

Keep the posts coming.

It's refreshing to hear your experiences

I can only go off what I have seen and that was Nipper the sire of Blue. It depends what you mean by quitters. I have seen Nipper turn off rabbits at night that he could have caught. Was he plain lazy? was he conserving his energy, maybe he knew he was going to have a long night (he usually did). During the day it got to the stage where he refused to jump, but he could jump 5 bar gates with ease.

Nipper was a very complicated dog if he had not been in the hands of Victor I am sure he would not have been the same animal. When lamping He was never on a lead and Victor could stop him chasing until required. When playing the numbers game 3 sitters are better then 1 runner.

When doubled up I am sure a rabbit caught was a rabbit caught to Nipper, no matter who caught it. When I first took my dog (first time on the lamp) with Nipper we caught around 20 odd with my dog catching the vast majority in front of Nipper. Victor was livid. The next time same thing but this time there was more rabbits after about 30 my dog blew up and I had to carry him back to the van (I was to inexperienced to see it happening. Could Victor see my dog struggling? probably). Nipper then went on to catch another 40 odd by himself.

Maybe the dog was just to bright for his own good sometimes. Victor and Nipper worked as a team, together. Nipper chased whenever and whatever Victor told him to chase. The bigger the quarry the more both victor and Nipper loved it. Did Nipper lack heart NO, was Nipper a quitter NO. Would Nipper have caught a daytime winter hare NO I don't think he would have even turned one but he might probably have picked two up off the bottom or in a few yards whilst my dog had coursed over hill and dale to catch another two then Nipper would probably be out on the lamp same night whilst my lad was asleep in his bed.

. That nipper sounds like he may have had som other type of herding blood not to many animals with the brain to have a great affinity tnipper and victor had sounds like my type though .atb bunnys.

Looking at old Rip he had plenty Curr dog in him. I think both Rip and Nipper had fairly dominant genes.

I would think there are very few Curr dogs left in Cumbria now and to tell the truth I am only guessing and picking from what I can remember talking to Victor (or simply Minshaw) as he was known.

Victors full name is "Victor Sproat Minshaw" quite a mouthful.

Edited by toblue

I had a photo album full, over 100 photos which was sadly lost. Best night 103 rabbits and 16 hares, 5 of the rabbits were road kill so we call it 98, with 3 dogs. 1 night Penrith Cumbria. Victor was not there.

I had photos of all the Cleator Moor lads and their dogs so sick as a parrot my album was lost. We would always have a photo followed by skinning day. All of the heads and skins would be deposited at Dovenby no matter where our haul was caught. This was to wind up someone who had done a bad thing to old Rip.

• Like 7

I had a photo album full, over 100 photos which was sadly lost. Best night 103 rabbits and 16 hares, 5 of the rabbits were road kill so we call it 98, with 3 dogs. 1 night Penrith Cumbria. Victor was not there.

I had photos of all the Cleator Moor lads and their dogs so sick as a parrot my album was lost. We would always have a photo followed by skinning day. All of the heads and skins would be deposited at Dovenby no matter where our haul was caught. This was to wind up someone who had done a bad thing to old Rip.

Shame you lost them..

I know later on Victor would breed quite close, but thought son mother was even to close for vic.

I can remember going to see the Nipper x Darkie pups when they were little. Victor had half his garden for them, he had dug up the soil and mixed in powdered lime to kill any worm eggs. I can remember the smell of his burco boiler going, full of green tripe, rabbits and veg. One thing for sure Vic was a great feeder. Feed them hard and work them hard.

Before I met Vic I was feeding tinned Chappie and Winalot mixer... Lesson learned.

Looking at old Rip he had plenty Curr dog in him. I think both Rip and Nipper had fairly dominant genes.

I would think there are very few Curr dogs left in Cumbria now and to tell the truth I am only guessing and picking from what I can remember talking to Victor (or simply Minshaw) as he was known.

Surely not THE Victor Sproat Minshaw - Castles in Scotland, Vinyards in France ?

You forgot the Edward after Victor & before Sproat buddy ? ..i had his lad Shaun here a week or two back,we had a good craic,reminiscing the old days with talk of dogs,their hauls,their feats & failings,great times indeed ?