is the whippet becoming to popular for its own good

whippets are great little dogsi have 3 all kc reg 2 from working line,s 1 from show stuff and the all do good for me the price that some people ask for is a fecking joke I think £250 is a good amount for one they can be had and cheaper i have a bitch here who only cost me £140 and a dog£125 both kc reg bitch is great worker dog pup comming on he only 5 months the the dog out of good show stock cost me £300 and he is turning out to be a handy dog at 13 months old i take mine to racing in the summer and some of them charge crazy prices for pups £450 no way

• Like 1

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like my whippets to look like a whippet, a beddy x whippets works but it's not a bloody whippet mate. I've seen some real crap being bred by the so called authority on working whippets. Its common k

I don't know you and you obviuosly don't know me with what your implying, however i will answer you questions   A show bred pup will cost from £400-£600, a working bred pup anything from £300- £600

whether your a fan of the kc whippet, non ped or lurcher is this not what the hunting life should be about guy's with experience helping others well done

obviously a beddy whippet isnt a whippet im not blind mate is that a working whippet ???

puppy peddling is what your on about and the show people love it cause there dog has rossette

how much would it be for a show whippet then compare the price to a working whippet its not rocket science

if your dog works fair play

if your turning down studs thats up to you

kc reg whippet at stud though why bother advertise on you profile

happy showing racing or hunting lol

I don't know you and you obviuosly don't know me with what your implying, however i will answer you questions

A show bred pup will cost from £400-£600, a working bred pup anything from £300- £600 (both kc registered)

I have the stud dog on my profile to show responsible people that my dog is available, i have my website to show people what working whippets can do and what they should look like. Do i have a puppy for sale page??? No i don't!!. I breed when i want a pup myself, hence not very often so can't see the point in having a puppy page.

I say it how it is and speak my mind, some folk like me some don't. I don't give a flying sh*t who likes me and who doesn't to be honest. There are quite a few members on here who know me personally and who have been out with me and seen my dogs working in the field. I am more than happy to give advice and have spent hours on the phone and replying to messagers on here. I've invited many people out to see my whippets working to see if a whippet is right for them. I wonder how many of the puppy farmers who breed 2-3 litters a year would do this!!!.

And yes the so called authority do have there own websites, there the free websites you can build in an hour.

i also have my opinion and annoying people is something that doesnt bother me aslo but at them prices any wonder people breed them over here kc reg is 150 quid non kc 100

now i know what u mean bout breedn and thats why its f..ked

and not many get worked

as i said fair play for working yours whippets need people like yourself and not armchair hunters

back on topic before i get bored of the same old whining record , yes there are far too many 2rd rate whippets being bred , which cant help in the long run

that does seem to be the case money and or fame are the driving force behind the breeding programes of some of the well known people,using the breed to their own ends.but there are people im sure,again as in other breeds of working dog who have their prioritys firmly planted in the continuation of a sound well bred working whippet.

I like Whippets; they have their niche in the running/working dog world. They are great ferreters and lampers and wonderful little rabbit/bushing dogs. It's a bit disingenuos to think they make good hare, fox or deer dogs... they don't !! OK, people will say "my Whippet does hare/fox/deer, but these dogs will be one off's, not the norm. At their own game, they are grand little dogs, and a pleasure to watch working. :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 5

Aslong as the price stay's up for whippet's it should keep the messer's at bay..

as long as the price stays up at present it`s 300-450 for a pup there will be more and more litters turned out so i can`t see that keeping the messers at bay, with a potential 2-3 grand to be made on the average k.c.litter the messers are more likely to be attracted

• Like 5

Mally quote:>>>>>>>>

"If the working whippet breeders keep breeding like there doing it will be them responsible for ruining the breed mate, there breeding everything a whippet shouldn't be, and breeding from dogs with known faults and breeding mother x son etc etc.

As for breeding hardblood whippet, i just can't see the point in that."

When i was on the look about for a working whippet pup not long back i looked on the obvious site, i talked to a few people, but soon realised that they seem to breed a few plus litters each year, they were asking around £350 - £450. I nearly bought one from a well known bloke who's been working whippets around ten years,,,,the sire to the litter was massive whippet (BJ) about 23 inch !, thing that put me off was that he was saying that its one problem was misjudging and running into walls, on two occasions nearly killing itself, forgot what he said the vet had diagnosed the problem as, but why bloody breed off it and have it up to stud if there is a chance you could pass the fault on.

The other thing that amazed me was how closely some people were breeding rather than introducing new blood, also how jealously runs through a lot of the people who are breeding these 'working whippets', one fella said he would not pass on the pedigree papers just in case there was a chance anyone would have a litter from the bitch, but once it was spayed he would foward the papers(ironically all my bitches are spayed) !!!!!. He said it was because he had a good line with lots of Sooty Sam in it and he didnt want people to breed litters like his!!! What a nutter.

Edited by canaliculata
  • Like 1

would it be a fair assumption to say that some one who breeds a litter or two every year isnt keeping a pup from each litter bred so therefore must be doing it for money,or is it true that they make no money from a litter or two each year as its expensive to raise two litters of pups till there eight weeks old.

• Like 1

would it be a fair assumption to say that some one who breeds a litter or two every year isnt keeping a pup from each litter bred so therefore must be doing it for money,or is it true that they make no money from a litter or two each year as its expensive to raise two litters of pups till there eight weeks old.

To rear a litter of puppies well isn't cheap, however the price of one pup will almost cover all the costs associated with rearing and registering a full litter.

Just to give you all an idea

Stud fee £100-£200

1 bag puppy food £30.00

Raw beef/Lamb 120lbs (for bitch and pups) £56

goats milk £40.00

Registration @ £12 a pup (thats what it cost me 2 years ago not sure how much it is now)

Wormer etc £30

electric (heatlamp) £70

remember guys the whippet began as a wee cross bred rabbiter / racer of the poor man, there perhaps was greyhound blood and terrier blood in them, probably a lot like the non ped / hard blood of today where there is no thought of showring prowess, stud fee or looks only performance breeding the best to the best the fastest to the fastest, nobody thought of ear shape or tail carriage or whether they were a bonny colour. in my opinion the downfall of the whippet is the attitude of breeders who rate kc standards and conformation over performance and where the kerching ££££ of the till is more important than retrieving, early pace or hunting ability

• Like 2

the whippet is a popular breed because there are wonderfull dogs and alot more

there not getting popular nowadays theve always been in my book got my first one 40yrs ago

and there was more popular then

good house dogs allround mouching dogs we used ours for hunting and raced them at weekends aswell

atb

must admit ive always been intrested in watching them work. but in 26 years of working dogs i have unfortunatly never seen one. i only ferret and mooch these days maybe one would suit me fine.

must admit ive always been intrested in watching them work. but in 26 years of working dogs i have unfortunatly never seen one. i only ferret and mooch these days maybe one would suit me fine.

Your more than welcome to come and see mine working mate :thumbs:

Your more than welcome to come and see mine working mate :thumbs:

your very kind thank you for your offer. i certainly would like to take you up on that. atb. :thumbs: