is the whippet becoming to popular for its own good

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like my whippets to look like a whippet, a beddy x whippets works but it's not a bloody whippet mate. I've seen some real crap being bred by the so called authority on working whippets. Its common k

I don't know you and you obviuosly don't know me with what your implying, however i will answer you questions   A show bred pup will cost from £400-£600, a working bred pup anything from £300- £600

whether your a fan of the kc whippet, non ped or lurcher is this not what the hunting life should be about guy's with experience helping others well done

must admit ive always been intrested in watching them work. but in 26 years of working dogs i have unfortunatly never seen one. i only ferret and mooch these days maybe one would suit me fine.

i dare say one would suit you very well mate.

im very much looking forward to seeing them at work. :thumbs:
  • Like 1

must admit ive always been intrested in watching them work. but in 26 years of working dogs i have unfortunatly never seen one. i only ferret and mooch these days maybe one would suit me fine.

whether your a fan of the kc whippet, non ped or lurcher is this not what the hunting life should be about guy's with experience helping others well done :clapper:

• Like 5

obviously a beddy whippet isnt a whippet im not blind mate is that a working whippet ???

puppy peddling is what your on about and the show people love it cause there dog has rossette

how much would it be for a show whippet then compare the price to a working whippet its not rocket science

if your dog works fair play

if your turning down studs thats up to you

kc reg whippet at stud though why bother advertise on you profile

happy showing racing or hunting lol

I don't know you and you obviuosly don't know me with what your implying, however i will answer you questions

A show bred pup will cost from £400-£600, a working bred pup anything from £300- £600 (both kc registered)

I have the stud dog on my profile to show responsible people that my dog is available, i have my website to show people what working whippets can do and what they should look like. Do i have a puppy for sale page??? No i don't!!. I breed when i want a pup myself, hence not very often so can't see the point in having a puppy page.

I say it how it is and speak my mind, some folk like me some don't. I don't give a flying sh*t who likes me and who doesn't to be honest. There are quite a few members on here who know me personally and who have been out with me and seen my dogs working in the field. I am more than happy to give advice and have spent hours on the phone and replying to messagers on here. I've invited many people out to see my whippets working to see if a whippet is right for them. I wonder how many of the puppy farmers who breed 2-3 litters a year would do this!!!.

And yes the so called authority do have there own websites, there the free websites you can build in an hour.

600 quid for a whippet your oul heads going mate.i gave a score for mine.

certainly a lot more whippet/whippet type threads on here lately, maybe a sign of the times with the current climate and maybe the way forward, whether its a good thing for the breed I would say yes, I reckon if theres more folk working them then it may produce a bigger gene pool of decent working stuff,

I,ve had bigger dogs in the past but I now have a wee whippet type that has pleasantly surprised me with her attitude, capabilitys and hardiness, personaly I think I,ll be sticking to the wee dogs in the future, atb

• Like 2

certainly a lot more whippet/whippet type threads on here lately, maybe a sign of the times with the current climate and maybe the way forward, whether its a good thing for the breed I would say yes, I reckon if theres more folk working them then it may produce a bigger gene pool of decent working stuff,

I,ve had bigger dogs in the past but I now have a wee whippet type that has pleasantly surprised me with her attitude, capabilitys and hardiness, personaly I think I,ll be sticking to the wee dogs in the future, atb

:yes:

agree 100 per cent doesnt bring unwanted attenion atb

agree 100 per cent doesnt bring unwanted attenion atb

I wouldn,t know about that mate ,I,m strictly permo :laugh:

• Like 1

Personally i dont think whippets are becoming more popular or happen to be a trend,whippets have always been popular within hunting circles. i just think people are becoming alot more aware of them with the help of forums ect like this and the guys who work them are not afaraid to shout about how versatile these wee dogs actually are. i was always a lurcher man but had friends who hunted whippets and was always impressed with them. When my old lurcher died i decided to buy my first whippet and now i wouldnt keep anything other than whippets.They are great wee all rounders be it ferreting lamping or general bushing with terriers and are loyal and eager to please and great around the family. As with all breeds you will get people who breed for money or looks but im convinced there are enough of us who work whippets to keep them firmly on the right path.

• Like 1

I love Whippets and Whippet X's but find some Whippet owners to be emotional and over protective, you have to be realistic about their abilities. They may take other quarry but they can not compete with the bigger animals that take larger game regularly. But as rabbiting dogs, they are hard to beat in my opinion.......................

• Like 3

obviously a beddy whippet isnt a whippet im not blind mate is that a working whippet ???

puppy peddling is what your on about and the show people love it cause there dog has rossette

how much would it be for a show whippet then compare the price to a working whippet its not rocket science

if your dog works fair play

if your turning down studs thats up to you

kc reg whippet at stud though why bother advertise on you profile

happy showing racing or hunting lol

I don't know you and you obviuosly don't know me with what your implying, however i will answer you questions

A show bred pup will cost from £400-£600, a working bred pup anything from £300- £600 (both kc registered)

I have the stud dog on my profile to show responsible people that my dog is available, i have my website to show people what working whippets can do and what they should look like. Do i have a puppy for sale page??? No i don't!!. I breed when i want a pup myself, hence not very often so can't see the point in having a puppy page.

I say it how it is and speak my mind, some folk like me some don't. I don't give a flying sh*t who likes me and who doesn't to be honest. There are quite a few members on here who know me personally and who have been out with me and seen my dogs working in the field. I am more than happy to give advice and have spent hours on the phone and replying to messagers on here. I've invited many people out to see my whippets working to see if a whippet is right for them. I wonder how many of the puppy farmers who breed 2-3 litters a year would do this!!!.

And yes the so called authority do have there own websites, there the free websites you can build in an hour.

600 quid for a whippet your oul heads going mate.i gave a score for mine.

I just anwsered the question mate, thats the going rate. There were some blue whippets of average breeding advertised on here only 3 weeks ago for £600 from working lines.

You will be made welcome mate, I hope you enjoy seeing them work and i think you might be a little surprised.... I'm always happy to take likeminded folk out and to give advice to anyone who asks for it.

• Like 1

in my earlier post on this topic i blamed some breeders and as a fan ive did a bit of googling. some breeders and the commercial side of things do have a lot to answer for but out of the first 20 breeders i checked out only 1 mentioned height and in some of the pics many were obviously over sized. i can understand if your into showing breeding the best to the best would be the way to go so the judges (presumably regulated by the kennel club) have got to be in the frame also as it is they who are putting oversize specimens up as the best, the breed standard states ideal sizes as 181/2 inches for a dog and an inch less for bitches. how come i'm seeing 23 in whippets, Coomassie the waterloo cup winning greyhound was only 24 granted a long time ago but still.