Its not the dogs fault!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive had a problem this season in that my little kelpie x has stopped retrieving, which for a bit of a cripple like me is a nuisance. But on thinking about it it was fairly obvious why.   Maggie  

now this is what this forum should be like,cracking write up...

Definitely some food for thought there, i must polish up my lots retrieving soon. I know other people who use narrow side paths for retrieving and jumping with good effect

i think that the worst xs for retrieve probs are collie xs (yes) colliexs . Been round lurchers 25 years, and in that time the above x will be pron to do it .? Reason, dogs that are very clever can stop just when they want, they think about things far to much. Like if they are having hard night lamping,and they brought back say 15 rabbits, and they think feck this lol, thats enough for me, or you up set for what ever reason, they will pack it in to much brain :yes: ive always thought how clever do you really need a rabbit dog to be. most lurcher xs will bring back, my bullx grey will bring back ,and its no big deal to him if he was tired or not,or what ever. Ive had few colliexs over the years, and i find they all have similar mentality, where other xs dont. just what i think,! prob others will disagree lol.

Great post Stroller, :thumbs: totally agree with you there and as said, deffo food for thought. :yes:

I'd also agree with Bird in that some of the most fickle (if fickle is the right word?) retrievers have come from high pastoral blooded dogs. When they are 'right' they are a joy to watch but if sommat knocks 'em off.... I've certaily owned a few!

My present 'walking shite machine' is half decent with his retrieve, though it's topped up almost daily with him dropping anything of a throwing nature at any ones feet at any given moment. My Mrses nephew was his 'target' this afternoon and after going in for a coffee with his dad, I returned to my garden to see my lawn looking like Twickenham at five-o-clock on a sodden Saturday in season..!!! :censored:

A good post and a good read- thanks :)

I think that exercising lurchers with a lot of other dogs can be problematic too. I only take my lurcher out for exercise with the whole pack once a week. She is certainly more bidable without the other dogs around and just better behaved.

Any training I do is one on one with her and to me, retrievIng is one of the most important skills a dog needs to have, so it's one I'll keep reinforcing.

Thanks lads for the comments, Maggie will be right ive no real worries on that score.

She is a funny little thing and pretty much a one man dog but and ive said it before i wouldnt reccomend this cross for a first time lurcher owner.

By making mistakes we learn about ourselves and our dogs and often it just takes thinking through. So many lurchers are just passed on for a lot less than stopping retrieving when all it would take is a bit of time and patience.

Thanks again

Guest born to run1083

i think that the worst xs for retrieve probs are collie xs (yes) colliexs . Been round lurchers 25 years, and in that time the above x will be pron to do it .? Reason, dogs that are very clever can stop just when they want, they think about things far to much. Like if they are having hard night lamping,and they brought back say 15 rabbits, and they think feck this lol, thats enough for me, or you up set for what ever reason, they will pack it in to much brain :yes: ive always thought how clever do you really need a rabbit dog to be. most lurcher xs will bring back, my bullx grey will bring back ,and its no big deal to him if he was tired or not,or what ever. Ive had few colliexs over the years, and i find they all have similar mentality, where other xs dont. just what i think,! prob others will disagree lol.

Completely agree, there a temperamental cross. My first cross was a cracking retriever as you know. then out right she stopped with other dogs around. Shes just started to retrieve properly again straight back to hand no messing with dogs around. Feck you off when you know they can do it but choose not to. my collie x can be very protective over her rabbits at the end of the night she lies on top of them in car stop the other dogs getting near them almost like she thinks it's her other job role.

interesting post, surprised no one has picked up on the way retrieving is trained, my understanding is that there are 2 ways...the fun n games throw fetch type and the more 'forced' way where the dog percieves retrieving as a job to be done on command rather than a game. i would imagine that dogs trained the second way would be less likely to refuse the retrieve

IMO the "forced retriever" is more likely to be hard mouthed. I don't like that on rabbits but I know plenty of people don't seem to mind. In my experience, a reluctant retriever can respond well to competition from a trained dog if it's done carefully. I agree that it can work against you just as well! Konrad Most could train just about any dog, of any age, to retrieve so the method must be sound. I saw one of his photos of a GSD scaling an 8+ foot wall with a 11/2lb revolver in its mouth.... VERY impressive!

IMO the "forced retriever" is more likely to be hard mouthed. I don't like that on rabbits but I know plenty of people don't seem to mind. In my experience, a reluctant retriever can respond well to competition from a trained dog if it's done carefully. I agree that it can work against you just as well! Konrad Most could train just about any dog, of any age, to retrieve so the method must be sound. I saw one of his photos of a GSD scaling an 8+ foot wall with a 11/2lb revolver in its mouth.... VERY impressive!

never read any of his books, i think i've just picked up bits here and there from other guy's who seem to have adapted his methods so really don't have too much experience on it myself. i don't think you have to go as far as the relief from pain bit, i'm guessing that the hard mouth bit could be down to the initial object used in training but it'll have a lot to do with the individual dog as well. i think a 24" lurcher clearing a 5 ft gate with a 7lb hare is impressive also