why are some rabbits faster in different parts of the country

Can YOU Run faster in long grass? up a hill? Or on a flat field? ..answer = flat field EVERYTIME meaning it all boils down to the terrain!! SIMPLE or it should be!! ATB Andy

:thumbs: In a nut shell,and ive seen plenty of decent dogs not even turn a golf course rabbit,So all this a dog should catch any rabbit is internet talk.

If your dog can't turn any rabbit with a decent run at it then im sorry count me out of buying a pup :)

:cray:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can YOU Run faster in long grass? up a hill? Or on a flat field? ..answer = flat field EVERYTIME meaning it all boils down to the terrain!! SIMPLE or it should be!! ATB Andy

I look at it this way: a dog, running on a golf course skids on the turn. Neither can it dig in and get purchase to push off at each stride.The ground is hard (usually), and very smooth. This favours

anybody thats done abit will know its not the rabbit its the land that makes the difference ,like running rabbits on wet sticky wheat will sapp the dogs alot quicker when on numbers,give the dog sore

I look at it this way: a dog, running on a golf course skids on the turn. Neither can it dig in and get purchase to push off at each stride.The ground is hard (usually), and very smooth. This favours the rabbit every time: its got furry feet, very little weight, no obstacles like long grass.

Long grass: I've seen rabbits trip over in set aside, rough fields, they're small, easily hindered by rough grass, tussocks etc. The dog is not: it is bigger, leaps over the long stuff. Simple.

I run mostly on heavily grazed pasture, (very short grass), or drilling on clay land. Wet clay land is a nightmare: dog's wearing mud boots on each foot, toes splayed, wedged apart with mud, can't turn properly then either. On dry clay drilling it is like concrete rubble. Bruises pads, and dog still can't turn very well as its running on the equivalent of marbles.

I've run a few times on rough long grass: dog was like a kid in a sweet shop!

It's not the rabbits, its the land, as has already been said several times: just thought I'd add my bit LOL

• Like 4

I look at it this way: a dog, running on a golf course skids on the turn. Neither can it dig in and get purchase to push off at each stride.The ground is hard (usually), and very smooth. This favours the rabbit every time: its got furry feet, very little weight, no obstacles like long grass.

Long grass: I've seen rabbits trip over in set aside, rough fields, they're small, easily hindered by rough grass, tussocks etc. The dog is not: it is bigger, leaps over the long stuff. Simple.

I run mostly on heavily grazed pasture, (very short grass), or drilling on clay land. Wet clay land is a nightmare: dog's wearing mud boots on each foot, toes splayed, wedged apart with mud, can't turn properly then either. On dry clay drilling it is like concrete rubble. Bruises pads, and dog still can't turn very well as its running on the equivalent of marbles.

It's not the rabbits, its the land, as has already been said several times: just thought I'd add my bit LOL

Exactly, rabbits usually escape when they find cover not by outrunning a dog. The question would be best suited to the hare where I believe in certain parts of the country they are better

now come on penny being a pro i thought you would know its the rabbits

Don't know about rabbits but Welsh sheep are easier in the north than the south and the west walians are filthy, just ask Malt. :laugh:

A bit like your women are over there then! :laugh: They're much, much easier to catch hold of than ours too.. ;):laugh:

Yes you see your not as stupid as you make out! the post i put up about the greyhounds was a test and you all seem to think that not all greyhounds was equal, some of you said select breeding others said chicken nuggats and potatoes but on a whole you all agreed that it possible to get a variant of speed in one species, LOOK GUYS IM TRYING TO SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU not all rabbits are the same were ever you are, and if you carnt see this now there is no hope for you its true what they say you carnt educate pork and if arsholes could fly this forum would be air traffick control

Has it never occured to you that it could be something to do with the ground conditions that they are running on. :hmm:

Take two greyhounds of equal ability as an example, both running over the same distance. One runs 400 yards straight up the middle of a golf course fairway while the other runs 400 yards through the middle of a freshly ploughed field, now are you honestly

trying to say that both dogs would do exactly the same time for their 400 yards. :hmm:

• Like 2

Yes you see your not as stupid as you make out! the post i put up about the greyhounds was a test and you all seem to think that not all greyhounds was equal, some of you said select breeding others said chicken nuggats and potatoes but on a whole you all agreed that it possible to get a variant of speed in one species, LOOK GUYS IM TRYING TO SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU not all rabbits are the same were ever you are, and if you carnt see this now there is no hope for you its true what they say you carnt educate pork and if arsholes could fly this forum would be air traffick control

maybe there on steroids !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive ran the dales for 12 years now on the tops the rabbits do seem easier but thats because they dont get ran as much as on the bottoms where there lamp shy, both have stone walls round them but the ones on the bottoms get lamped more often and just dont hang around, i wouldn,t say there faster just wiser than the ones on the tops

• Like 1