why are some rabbits faster in different parts of the country

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can YOU Run faster in long grass? up a hill? Or on a flat field? ..answer = flat field EVERYTIME meaning it all boils down to the terrain!! SIMPLE or it should be!! ATB Andy

I look at it this way: a dog, running on a golf course skids on the turn. Neither can it dig in and get purchase to push off at each stride.The ground is hard (usually), and very smooth. This favours

anybody thats done abit will know its not the rabbit its the land that makes the difference ,like running rabbits on wet sticky wheat will sapp the dogs alot quicker when on numbers,give the dog sore

I have and it's nothing to do with speed, like someone said if your dog can't catch rabbits I think you should be asking the question "why can't my dog catch rabbits"

I dont run rabbit's mate they dont interest me i aint after an argument with ye or anybody over a poxy rabbit i am only saying what ive seen over time and i am sticking to what ive seen i wont change my mind becasue somebody say's so on the internet :thumbs:

There's so many different factors that it isn't possible to answer the question, which in my eyes is rather stupid.Justt like the question "why are some greyhounds faster than others" what the hell is that question?

personely i do think it's possible to answer i would call it natural selection :thumbs: the greyhound question ive not read that one and dont think i will :laugh::thumbs:

It's not possible at all, for example no rabbit however fast, can outrun any decent lurcher. So let's just say there's 5 rabbits in a family one night the fittest, fastest rabbit is further out from the hedge and the slower rabbits are nearer. the dog is slipped and catches the better speciman and the weaker rabbiits escape, the survival of the fittest is finished

It's not possible at all, for example no rabbit however fast, can outrun any decent lurcher. So let's just say there's 5 rabbits in a family one night the fittest, fastest rabbit is further out from the hedge and the slower rabbits are nearer. the dog is slipped and catches the better speciman and the weaker rabbiits escape, the survival of the fittest is finished

Again mate ive seen plenty rabbit's outrun decent lurcher's ive seen decent rabbit's outrun alsort's of running dog's and ye 5 in a family theory would only work in a low populated area not a dencely populated area and how often is the fittest going to be further out the theory dont work natural selection is what it is and will alway's find a way every specie's in the world or uk is different in different area's due to certain factor's

A lurcher or a rabbit might be able to run like the wind, :yes: but who ever turns the fastest will always come off the winner on the day...... :laugh: the rabbit for getting away, :whistling: or the lurcher for catching the rabbit.,, imo,.. who give a f**k, not me, just enjoy what you do with your dogs... :boogy:

Edited by mintstick999
  • Like 1

My personal view on this, is i do think having ran them, that dales rabbits are easier to catch. I wouldn't like to comment however on whether they are faster or not than my local bunny's or other rabbits in different counties up and down the county. I live on the cheshire/lancashire border and run in different counties on different ground. If i head off into derbyshire and the high peak and lamp stone walled fields then the coney,s are easier to catch providing that they are not lamp shy ( most are these days ). But if i lamp over cheshire way and on arable or cattle fields with two strands of barbed round, then if they are a tad lamp shy then the dog needs to be up there arse rapid and pressure them to make a catch, whether they are faster or not i couldn't say. But obviously the ground they are travelling over plays a massive part in it. I started a pup up in the dales on his first night out at an early age and he had considerable success, now if i would of gone local with the same pup then that would of been a different story. Rabbit numbers have dropped dramatically local, where in the 90,s i could lamp derbyshire and always get well into double figures hitting a few of the right spots, now you would be lucky too. But back to the original question, cant comment because the ground they travel over varies to much from region to region as to make a judgement on the speed of a coney.

Can YOU Run faster in long grass? up a hill? Or on a flat field? ..answer = flat field EVERYTIME meaning it all boils down to the terrain!! SIMPLE or it should be!! ATB Andy

:thumbs: In a nut shell,and ive seen plenty of decent dogs not even turn a golf course rabbit,So all this a dog should catch any rabbit is internet talk.

:thumbs: In a nut shell,and ive seen plenty of decent dogs not even turn a golf course rabbit,So all this a dog should catch any rabbit is internet talk.

If your dog can't turn any rabbit with a decent run at it then im sorry count me out of buying a pup :)