why are some rabbits faster in different parts of the country

To be honest i get what the lad is trying to get across ive been all over and the quarry around the uk is different ie run's different size is different etc etc, and not just rabbit's ive run hare's that were different in size and speed etc in different part's of the uk fox deer and rabbit with running dog's, ive dug all over the uk and noticed difference in quarry larger smaller etc etc and ive watched hound's hunt over a fair bit of the uk and noticed difference's, there is a difference in specie's over and around the uk :thumbs:

I don't get how folk are finding it hard to grasp?

Surely its pretty standard - due to variances in food sources, predation, terrain etc?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can YOU Run faster in long grass? up a hill? Or on a flat field? ..answer = flat field EVERYTIME meaning it all boils down to the terrain!! SIMPLE or it should be!! ATB Andy

I look at it this way: a dog, running on a golf course skids on the turn. Neither can it dig in and get purchase to push off at each stride.The ground is hard (usually), and very smooth. This favours

anybody thats done abit will know its not the rabbit its the land that makes the difference ,like running rabbits on wet sticky wheat will sapp the dogs alot quicker when on numbers,give the dog sore

To be honest i get what the lad is trying to get across ive been all over and the quarry around the uk is different ie run's different size is different etc etc, and not just rabbit's ive run hare's that were different in size and speed etc in different part's of the uk fox deer and rabbit with running dog's, ive dug all over the uk and noticed difference in quarry larger smaller etc etc and ive watched hound's hunt over a fair bit of the uk and noticed difference's, there is a difference in specie's over and around the uk :thumbs:

I don't get how folk are finding it hard to grasp?

Surely its pretty standard - due to variances in food sources, predation, terrain etc?

Exactly fella :thumbs:

This week i've watched the same dog / dogs run rabbits in 4/5 different counties, at different parts of the u.k, and some were definatly bigger, healthier, fitter, and hence faster specamins than others. Also some were not away on their heels as quick as they were less educated, so although they may have had the same capability, they didnt use it, or at least not soon enough.

thank you at least some people grasp they could or is diffrence between rabbits from other parts of the uk itshard to teach people that have had certain dogs that could catch in there area when it is said they may not catch as much in one area they get offended its good to hear of genuine guys who understand genetics gene pool natural selection and food source preditors ect if you dont understand this your not dog men

It's a stupid question, obviously a place that's hunted more will have rabbits that are wiser and sharper, thus harder to catch, nothing to do with speed!

It's not that stupid any place that's hunted hard will have lamp shy quarry that will slip away as soon as a lamp flick's over a field that's educated quarry nothing to do with how a specie's develop's naturaly to suit it's habitat ie size speed etc :thumbs:

It's a stupid question, obviously a place that's hunted more will have rabbits that are wiser and sharper, thus harder to catch, nothing to do with speed!

It's not that stupid any place that's hunted hard will have lamp shy quarry that will slip away as soon as a lamp flick's over a field that's educated quarry nothing to do with how a specie's develop's naturaly to suit it's habitat ie size speed etc :thumbs:

Sorry to add over a period of time in a hard hunted area obviously only the fittest strongest fastest quarry will get away and they will breed with other better specimen's obviously over a period of time ye are going to get a better stamp of quarry in that area :thumbs: i think they call it survival of the fittest :laugh:

Come on then tell me where in the country rabbits are faster than anywhere else? I've ran them in the dales and local where I live and there's no way of proving which are faster!

Try ye dog on a golf course then in the dale's see how it fare's is it the rabbit faster or the terrain who know's all i know is ive seen quarry all over the uk and they are different size speed etc :thumbs:

I have and it's nothing to do with speed, like someone said if your dog can't catch rabbits I think you should be asking the question "why can't my dog catch rabbits"

I dont run rabbit's mate they dont interest me i aint after an argument with ye or anybody over a poxy rabbit i am only saying what ive seen over time and i am sticking to what ive seen i wont change my mind becasue somebody say's so on the internet :thumbs:

I have and it's nothing to do with speed, like someone said if your dog can't catch rabbits I think you should be asking the question "why can't my dog catch rabbits"

I dont run rabbit's mate they dont interest me i aint after an argument with ye or anybody over a poxy rabbit i am only saying what ive seen over time and i am sticking to what ive seen i wont change my mind becasue somebody say's so on the internet :thumbs:

There's so many different factors that it isn't possible to answer the question, which in my eyes is rather stupid.Justt like the question "why are some greyhounds faster than others" what the hell is that question?

on golf courses and stubble fields the rabbits can hit top gear pretty quickly. ive lamped long lush grass fields on dairy farms in cheshire and the terrain certainly favours the dogs.back in the day ive lamped in yorkshire and again some of the terrain suited the dogs.