Imust say this post starts oof has one being concerned ,about ones whelp ,then we have a pic of a whelp which his not the whelp being discussed . THEN we go on to dry percentages of completes . fact sky cat and one or 2 others have already stated the action needed to be taken liverhearts smelts etc need to be fed minimuly ,carcass feed chicken ideal beef tipe etc . if one his worried about the whelp receiving the quantities of minerals etc make one of the meals drycomplete or wholegrain bread or mixeer, it s not difficult to feed a dog correctly ,sometimes with the occasional bull bred type one sees turned out elbows etc while whelps these rectify themselve when fed correctly with age in a word they grow it out . ITS dry high protein completes which contain the same protein each and every meal mainly from shite that will and does cause skeletal and a myraid of problems in canines fact . atb bunnys, ps and sandymere can have his say bunkum rubbish , paragraphs sourced from the net mainly put together to suit the multi billion dry dog food empire ,head banger .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are feeding an unbalanced diet by giving only liver and heart: both are very high in protein. You should only feed organ meat (liver, heart or kidney) in the amount that a dog would get if it ate

good advice is go to the vets and get it sorted sooner rather then later!

You should be giving some bone in with the diet its on mate, they need calcium to grow strong bones.

So whats the lad supposed to do ? One says raw meat, the other says no raw meat,; one says calcium tablets, the other says no calcium supplements ! The only advice I'd give is take the dog to see a good Greyhound/Running Dog Vet !!

Cheers.

I was told by greyhound vet just ad alot of milk in it diet and he will grow out of it?with every one giving me different info its confusing what to do?

I am a farrier and deal with this type of problem in horses regularly. You need veterinary asssistance and you need to it soon as growth plates close at various times. once they are closed they are what they are. The truth is diet alone wont change this and 9 times out of 10 its down to genetics. The severity of the defect could effect your dogs working carrier in different ways, some dogs can cope with faults, others not. some Arab horses can have racing carriers with conformational faults that thoroughbreds could not run with. Veterinary attention is a must as soon as possible and may well be extensive.

best of luck

There is a large thread on my forum about the same condition. You may have to join to view the thread.

One of the Members (Dr Gruber) is a vet so you have his opinion plus others drown from experience.

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Saluki_Preservation/topic/7053816/1/

With the Salukis cases I believe it is a genetic predisposition to the condition to do with lines being overly bred due to small gene pool.

<p>I have read this with great interest. I have just collected my long awaited whippet pup from a breeder that I have used before and trusted, only to discover this lovely natured 8 week old boy has this problem. how the hell I didn't notice it when I collected him I shall never know, maybe it was the 4 hour ride to collect and the chaos of the breeder's home (she seemed to have major health problems that I never knew about) but the next day it was all apparent. I have scoured the web for good news, and even convinced my self that I just need to give him decent food like Burns and TLC, but my vet seems pessimistic. He is having tests tomorrow and quite frankly I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I feel sick and am so sad that I am the one that has to make this horrible decision if the tests prove what we all suspect. The insurance company wont pay as they say its a pre exsisting condition and I do not want to go down the route of invasive surgery that may or may not work and end up at best with a whippet that can't run. I will take my vets advice. i am so very very upset and angry that my trust has been so abused by a breeder that should have known better and the sheer waste of an otherwise lovely dog.</p>

.....but millions of pounds are spent developing nuts/meals for pups/dogs and getting the quantities of minerals, fats, proteins and vitamins correct to the mg........

Do you seriously think that dried ball of cardboard contains all that it says ! you do know for starters there is no governing body that guarentees whats said to be in the dried food actually is ?!If i can find the writings , there was a dogman in the states that took his dry bag of dog feed to a lab to be tested for content, the nutritional value found was very very low. It was mainly an over cooked grain which in my opinion is not a complete diet. The millions of pounds spent by these companies is advertising which 90% of people fall for ! case in hand !

• Like 1

sorry cap locks , if your not a confident BARFER then dont rear pups on BARF/RAW diets. feeding heart and liver is not good for them and certainly not balanced...!

if you feed a kibble make sure it is not a chap crap one, a high grade QUALITY adult complete will help her.. seen it so many times and seen how simply changing the diets corrects this and fast.

i fear that the diet you have been giving is totally lacking and far to high in protene.

Edited by Almateus

I have now visited the vets with my whippet pup and have been advised a low protein adult diet, the plates on the joints have not closed so there is time to right this with diet and not surgery, which is invasive and often unsuccessful.

For those that doubt this form of treatment there is a scientific paper published by K Altunatmaz, S Ozsoy at Istanbul University 2006, Carpal Flexural Deformity that points towards diet being the cause of this problem,it would seem after weaning feeding cows milk was the problem, possibly something that happens in Turkey, I guess we use protein rich pup food here.

Don't be put off reading this paper, it really is quite readable, you wont be blinded by science or jargon and it will give you a good understanding of this condition.

Papers that have been published in scientific journals that have been peer reviewed are valid and based on clear evidence, and thats the info I would take notice of.

Go on, look it up and quote it to your vet, they just love clients helping them out with their diagnosis!

(my whippet is on Royal canin, but James Wellbeloved has a kibble at 18% protein that is holistic and organic and not too expensive)

DO NOT BREAK AND HAVE LEGS RESET, THIS CAN BE COMMON I MY BREEDS YOU NEED TO CUT THE PROTENE LEVELS DOWN , NO PUPPY FOOD...!!! LOW PROTENE ADULT HIGH GRADE KIBBLE WILL BRING HER RIGHT, SEEN IT , DELT WITH IT A FEW TIMES..

GOOD LUCK....

DO NOT BREAK AND HAVE LEGS RESET, THIS CAN BE COMMON I MY BREEDS YOU NEED TO CUT THE PROTENE LEVELS DOWN , NO PUPPY FOOD...!!! LOW PROTENE ADULT HIGH GRADE KIBBLE WILL BRING HER RIGHT, SEEN IT , DELT WITH IT A FEW TIMES..

GOOD LUCK....

Exactly.....please listen to this advice.....and box restrain also.....