A Slight Recovery.

At last, almost a decent day out today after the best part of two seasons sitting on our hands.

Hello guys from a few years ago if you are still there, and hello to any new fellers on here.

As i said, the 'sitting on our hands' was for one reason only, to let the rabbit numbers at least grow to a workable level since the deadly winter snow that hit In Dec 2009 and hung around on the high ground until Feb 2010.

Last season 2010/2011 we hoped for the numbers to have recovered a little bit, but only probs 3 trips out with maybee half a dozen rabbits, me and the old feller thought it best to sit it out until this year.

I know its real hard with a couple of youngish dogs in there prime, and a yard of ferrets waiting to go, but any slaughter of any of the survivors of the conditions really needed leaving alone.

This year we seemed to have got the eagerness out of our system, and waited until 2 weeks ago for our first look out.

To be honest the first day out nearly made me want to jack it in. Fair play there were a few bunnys, but all just past the 3/4 grown stage, obviously this years that had just been driven out of the strongholds on the rocky slopes.

The dogs were useless, and the ferrets even worse, (mainly down to lack of work, and being overweight.)

We ended up with 26 rabbits, none of them a challenge to be honest, even the rusty team, man dog and ferret caught nearly everything that was there.

How people can start in August and September and think they have acheived something is way beyond me.

Anyhow, 2 weeks later (today) we went out again. On a different section of our permission, with the team a little leaner, with hopes of a decent day.

We had the two runners, hitting five years old now, they can still nail almost everything, but the faults like retrieve and hunting up never got ironed out as they should have done, which usually happens with regular work.

The ferrets Billy bob and his brother, two medium albino hobs, on the few occasions they were asked to perform did great, they were born in 2007, so they know the crack.

A bit of rain and wind early on cleared, the rabbits were few on the ground, but most fully grown, a few making the dogs work, some got away, and few got nailed. The dogs a bit rangey to start with but by 11 am they had finally settled in and started covering the ground how they should.

By 1pm we sat down for a break, and the dogs joined us, a sure sign they were tired. it was time to head back, they are not fit yet, but a few more weekend like today and they should be fine.

Ended up with 18 rabbits, will still be a few years before the numbers are there again, but at least there's a bit of work for now!

P1000537.jpg

Just over five years old and look what the stress has done to this dog!

P1000538.jpg

Found a couple of these fellers as well, they are about 3" long, anybody know what they end up as?

P1000533.jpg

back at em next week fellers.

Brimmer. Its good to see that you had the patience to wait it out when numbers were down that much, there are plenty of people that wouldn't.

When I was a kid we were always encouraged by my Dad, that when we were just after one for the pot, never to shoot the first one we came across. He always believed it would ensure the numbers would remain up.

Thanks for the read.