RSPCA Investgate TV Dog Trainner

I dont think most folk see little dogs as little "babies"(lap dogs excepted) but the facts is many folk think its either funny or acceptable if its a little dog.....because its little...if it were a rottie/shepherd or a a big dog its not quite so acceptable as its ten times more fecking scary and a nip turns in to stitches :thumbs:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would you vary your methods for different breeds?   A terrier type always benefits from a firm hand and clear boundries, its what they understand best in their small thuggish little brain (imho) whe

I think the problem with a lot of people who have to get someone in to '' sort'' there dog out is because they treat them as '' kids'' , if dogs are treated as dogs from the very start then a lot of t

Firstly, he did not kick the dog, he moved his foot towards it to show that he had the floor: pushing his occupation of the space to show the dog that it had to stay back. Then the little shit bit his

you do with the AB, thats why so many end up in rescue from 10 months to three years.....cute pup grows to 80lb adolscent dog that wants to sit over you and they cant handle it and get rid.....

as for handbag dogs, wish bag snatchers would take the credit cards and cash out, then throw the handbags with these rats still in them into the nearest canal!! Woman next door has one (after her cat disappeared :whistling: ) called Nelson.....treats it like a baby, it treats her like a bitch and does what it wants....

I dont think most folk see little dogs as little "babies"(lap dogs excepted) but the facts is many folk think its either funny or acceptable if its a little dog.....because its little...if it were a rottie/shepherd or a a big dog its not quite so acceptable as its ten times more fecking scary and a nip turns in to stitches :thumbs:

I agree with you there, my missues got bit seperateing my male from her mothers ab, both hands stiched and me doing the ironing/nappy changes etc for thee weeks...couldnt complain my dog broke out to find the other male...6am in the morning and me in the buff in front of her mother....not good...

Two lttle dogs wouldnt have had the power to damage her that quickly... mind you her moms mental scars are still evident...

I agree with you there, my missues got bit seperateing my male from her mothers ab, both hands stiched and me doing the ironing/nappy changes etc for thee weeks...couldnt complain my dog broke out to find the other male...6am in the morning and me in the buff in front of her mother....not good...

Two lttle dogs wouldnt have had the power to damage her that quickly... mind you her moms mental scars are still evident...

Egg in a birds nest? :laugh:

pmsl..................... :laugh:

Crikey, are we going to get into Pavlov and talk of bells :D THL has some deep interesting threads today, much better than the usual shit of "show us yer bull x" :thumbs:

That's classic conditioning :tongue2:

I think its a good comparison. You have to train certain species with reward: dolphins and parrots for example.

6pack: I hear what you are saying re grooming. But the whole grooming thing is linked to pack status as well. Dominant animals may well put themselves in front of a lower ranking animal because they want grooming, but watch a bitch tell a puppy off if she is cleaning it up and it resists her attempts. She may well, if pinning it down doesn't work, give it a telling off, an open mouth growl and even a quick bite, not hard, to let it know that she is in charge and won't tolerate such behaviour. I suppose you could say that this is just telling the pup that its actions aren't acceptable in the way you describe. But you won't see a properly reared pup attempt to tell a grown dog off for grooming it either.

I also watch my senior bitches pin pups down, not even their own pups, and give them a good ear wash, and put them in their place if they try and resist. To me, its all part of teaching a pup its place in the pack.

But I also find it very interesting to see certain pups as they reach maturity. There are some who just won't stay in their place: i.e. at the bottom of the pack, and who have that certain air about them which means they will be a force to be reckoned with as adults. They don't behave aggressively with other dogs, but they have that confidence and power about them which says don't mess with me. I really like working with that sort of dog. They are usually more intelligent than the 'followers' and quicker to learn new things, how to handle themselves with prey, and generally are more aware, more evolved as individuals. I'm not saying that they are all better workers, as the 'followers' can be good workers as well, but there's something about a top dog which makes life much more interesting.

I understand what you mean. The difference between the 2 theories revolving completely on the belief of how a dog views a person.

Imitation was the basis of the alpha roll which is still used in dominance theory today. But it only takes to watch it in slow mo to see our perspective has been totally wrong about it, that it is about submission not dominance. We can not imitate the relationship of dogs.

I like the dogs with more about them too, I find they have more scope, easier to focus and work with.

Imagine the fuss if he'd have scruffed the dog and gave it a shake or something? :doh: Maybe they shouldn't have shown him trying to discipline a dog that needs physical correction with the way things are today...

Imagine if he had smacked the arse off it with a rolled up Radio Times.........when I pick up the Radio Times, my dogs jump to attention, even if i'm only looking to see what's coming on telly.

• Like 2

And on the subject of biting ears, i knew a lurcherman, and his father in law, a very inteligent man, who both swore the best way of correcting a dog was to get on all fours and bite their ear, when i said what a load of bollocks they said "thats what the dam does".........what a crock of shit................

I do it to mine , if the little c**t bites me it get's bit back!

And on the subject of biting ears, i knew a lurcherman, and his father in law, a very inteligent man, who both swore the best way of correcting a dog was to get on all fours and bite their ear, when i said what a load of bollocks they said "thats what the dam does".........what a crock of shit................

I do it to mine , if the little c**t bites me it get's bit back!

Really Graham? It a male you owns displays dominace do you hump it? Love to see some of the dogs i have trained get bitten back, you would look like an extra from dawn of the dead in 10 seconds flat :thumbs:

Google dog training books and pick your poison. :victory: depending on what you want to train. There's plenty of info on the net too.

I think all training books are worth a read, it is up to you to decide if you can follow them through.

Every dog training method will work if you are consistent and repetitive.

I have an old book from the bloke that trained all the Disney animals. Some of his methods are extreme!! He recommends hanging a dog by its lead for aggression. Or nearly drowning a dog for digging. But I like his lead work, simple and it works. Take what you like from different sources.

Don't set a dog up to fail, you can't give a command and expect the dog to just know what to do. Rinse and repeat.

consistent and repetitive.

That's definitely the key...again just like with kids :)

Still not convinced that treat/reward based training works though. What do you do when your reward isn't as rewarding as sniffing or playing with other dogs?

I think anyone who owns a dog can benefit from reading this book it's excellent, its more psychology than exact training methods .

Think Dog by John Fisher

When I was doing behavioural work I found it invaluable for reference.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1844031209

Edited by Sirius