is it just my kids or are they all like this these days. my kids come in from school walk straight into the room and either start texting on their mobile's, or go upstairs and straight on the computers on facebook or whatever. my lad will also sit on his XBOX 24/7 if I let him.

today was unbelevable. My daughter has had a pet hamster for a good 3 years which finally today popped its clogs, when I looked at it this morning it looked pretty ill so I spent hours warming it through and doing everything to save it thinking how much it would upset her. she finally came in from school so I sat her down to tell her, she came out with "Mums already told me" and sat on her phone texting again without the slightest bit of interest, needless to say I'm pretty annoyed by her reaction.

Is it just my kids or is this the way they are these days?

Tony, it winds me upto f**k how most kids just waste there life in front of a games console, as kids we used to be out ALL the time..........

your right mate but we were allowed to do stuff,like going egging,climbing fecking pylons for a kessies egg :icon_eek: i spent half my childhood up a tree and when old mills and factories closed down,they didnt surround em wi harris fencing and put a guard wi a dog on,they were left for us kids to feck about playing army in until they decided what they were going to do wi it,we used to camp out for the whole 6wk holdays,only going home at teatime for summat eat and every sunday night for a bath(an only cos mi mam made mi),we also used to pedal to southport from leigh :icon_eek: age 12, kids cant do feck all today,probably why so many of em sit on their xbox's :thumbs:

• Like 2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kids of today eh!   I always make sure that they read to me at least 2 chapters a day when they are with me, and I make all their home work fun so they do actually do it.   No tv in their rooms, a

I think its a lot of kids these days..........they've got this "throw it away" attitude.   Its all to do with this never ending culture of companies like nokia,sony ericcson,playstation,x-box etc br

My three are 7 and 6 now. They'd sit on the pc/DS or in front of the tv for hours. If I let them. Which I don't. Homework when we get in, then either play out or read or whatever. Some days they can h

is it just my kids or are they all like this these days. my kids come in from school walk straight into the room and either start texting on their mobile's, or go upstairs and straight on the computers on facebook or whatever. my lad will also sit on his XBOX 24/7 if I let him.

today was unbelevable. My daughter has had a pet hamster for a good 3 years which finally today popped its clogs, when I looked at it this morning it looked pretty ill so I spent hours warming it through and doing everything to save it thinking how much it would upset her. she finally came in from school so I sat her down to tell her, she came out with "Mums already told me" and sat on her phone texting again without the slightest bit of interest, needless to say I'm pretty annoyed by her reaction.

Tony, it winds me upto f**k how most kids just waste there life in front of a games console, as kids we used to be out ALL the time..........

your right mate but we were allowed to do stuff,like going egging,climbing fecking pylons for a kessies egg :icon_eek: i spent half my childhood up a tree and when old mills and factories closed down,they didnt surround em wi harris fencing and put a guard wi a dog on,they were left for us kids to feck about playing army in until they decided what they were going to do wi it,we used to camp out for the whole 6wk holdays,only going home at teatime for summat eat and every sunday night for a bath(an only cos mi mam made mi),we also used to pedal to southport from leigh :icon_eek: age 12, kids cant do feck all today,probably why so many of em sit on their xbox's :thumbs:

Leigh. Is that part of Wigan.

certainly is mate :thumbs:

I was having a rant about this today to some kids i work with, . . . . . texting, facebook, msn, etc etc etc . . . . . the art of communication and real emotion is dying. We live in a world a text talk and smileys.

There are kids all over towns talking through a computer that live a 5 minute walk from each other.

The virtual world has even devalued the word 'friend', now it's just someone you have filed away on a computer database.

It sucks.

• Like 1

I found with my two kids who are now 10 and 7, they have always liked being out doors. Granted in the winter with dark nights that is harder to do.

From an early age I had taken them out, and we made things from the wild, like whistles from bits of apple tree, or cow parsley, and we snared rabbits at every opportunity, (or at least I did, and they enjoyed it). We went up on the moors with a small tent and camped out over night. I took them beating on one of the farms I have permission, and took them to the end of season beaters shoot and party, the eldest shooting with a 28bore when he was 7.

We went out out with Scarr View and it opened up whole new worlds to the kids.

Yes, they have a PS 2. I cant afford a PS3, but they are not bothered. They come home from school do the dreaded homework, and go down the fields and woods with the mates. PS2 is for long winter nights.

I have no doubt one of these days, I will come home from work and find the lads have kidnapped the ferrets for a few hours, and will come back with a bunny. (hopefully they will not have lost them)

I honestly believe, that if you enthuse about something and are passionate about something, then this will be passed on to the kids.

If you dont give a fk, and just get on with your own thing, you will reap what you sow.

Reading most of the threads on this site, the future of our kids and the game, will be pretty much safe.

Happy hunting, whatever your game.

certainly is mate :thumbs:

You dont know how much fun I am going to have at work tomorrow! One of my mates comes from Leigh, and he hates Wiganer's. We rib him relentlessly about Leigh being part of Wigan, which he Feckin hates. He is adamant Wigan has FA to do with Leigh and never will do!! Thanks for the reply :toast:

Yeh strange how they turn out really

Both mine were brought up the same,, bit of huntin, shootin etc,, dogs and ferrets all there life,, they both went through the not interested in owt but labels and PS2/3/4/whatever

But then,, the auldest has turned to the life bigstyle,, Lurchers, ferrets, and lives in muckboots,, the youngest is a polar opposite,, has had 4 dogs as fashion items and sold them on,, even after raging fights with me, as he was not brought up that way,, but they have that need for a quick satifaction now,, and bin it when bored attitude..

Bairns,,,, ffs

Im lucky at present...

I whinge like feck at my kids, but they are a lot better than most..

They have to cleanout the ferrets, chickens etc. One of ma boys is currently nursing a ferret in his bedroom that has an infection.. (kit) and will be distraught if it doesnt live)

They have a few freinds within a couple of miles, and are allowed to cycle to them...(rural roads) and most of the time is spent playing in the small woods.

They have elctronic stuff, but not to the point of excluding everything else....

BUt as I said on another topic.... Karate takes all their focus.

They train 4 times a week at present between 1-2 hours a day.. We make the effort in taking them..they go unless they're sick.

They reward us with the silverware.

I have very balenced kids....not in the slightest bit violent at all...

In fact I had to reassure one last week, he wouldnt get into trouble defending himself at school...

I guess if Im honest..........Im lucky and perhaps dont appreciate them enough.

• Like 1

My ex wifes kids were the worst I've ever seen.

Because (obviously!) their parents were divorced they had both sides of their family sort of competing, and as a result they had far too much money for kids of their age. One example that always sticks in my head was when we'd been to visit my parents who lived literally 100 yards away. Her daughter had £20 in her pocket that her grandad had given her. When we got back to ours I said to her to make sure she does drop her money, she checked her pocket and she had dropped it inbetween my parents house and our house....I told her to hurry back quick and she'll find it before anyone else does and I quote "nah it doesn't matter, it's only £20"....she was 8 years old!

Her son was obsessed with ps3, on the 6 week holidays he literally would not leave the house, not even once! He used to buy games for £40, play them for the day and the very next day go back and trade them in to the same shop he bought them from, they would give him £5 for it!!! and he did that regularly!

Her daughter had guinea pigs, predicatably she never ever fed or cleaned them so I always ended up doing it. One day I told my ex wife that she needed to get her daughter in line or get rid of the guinea pigs. While her daughter was at school she took the guinea pigs to a rescue and I expected tantrums etc. when she got back and found that they'd gone. She barely even batted an eye lid!!!!

Her son got a sony erricson phone for his birthday (off his grandparents), it was £200. He kept unplugging it from his comp without ejecting it so the software crashed, I phoned Sony Erricson for him and they said he needed to send it back and they'd reset it free of charge. I asked him the following week if he'd had it back and he said no he chucked it because he couldn't be arsed to send it back!!!!

I could go on and on with similar examples but thankfully the shambles of my marriage is behind me now. What's good about the whole thing though, is that I'm now going to be super careful that my daughter has 100% appreciation of money/pets etc. and leads a healthy life. She won't be having a mobile til high school at the earliest, she'll work for modest pocket money, she may have a comp but it'll be very restricted, she'll be taking part in clubs, sport, music and outdoor activities, she can have a pet (a ferret whether she likes it or not :laugh: ) but she's cleaning it and feeding it every day. She can only have a boyfriend when she reaches 40! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There's not a chance she is going to be one of those kids that's glued to a phone or computer 24/7, I'll cut off our electric and we can live by candlelight first!!!! Far too easy for kids to go down that route these days! We're going to end up with a generation of obese kids with zero social skills, who's only communication with friends are via facebook!

yesterday coming out of school 2 boys in front were talking and they were like soon you get in ge ton the xbox live and il come an join you?

they were only about 7/8 and they go online,

my 10 year old i wouldnt let him have his ps3 on line.

hes the same if the ps3 isnt going he wants to watch tv and then hes nearly touching screen keep telling him he will need glasses.

anyone think that kids do this more due to parents paronia from peados and chavvy twats carrying kitchen knives around.

as its not same as late 70,s/early 80s.

i was born 74. :D

I must admit I'm really scared about letting mine out to play like I did. Between the little b@stards that live around here and the traffic and all manner of creeps, I'm scared. I do let them go to the park and play on the field behind the house tho. They can all tell time properly and they wear watches and have to stick together. They break the rules or come in late they're grounded, straight up.

But when they're in they've got books and games and toys. So if I say no tv, then it's no tv. Like it or lump it. They might stomp around a bit but they get over it and go find something to do, or we play monopoly or Uno or whatever. It's harder to raise them that way - much easier to let them veg on the pc or whatever - but it'll pay off in the long run.

Im lucky at present...

They have to cleanout the ferrets, chickens etc. One of ma boys is currently nursing a ferret in his bedroom that has an infection.. (kit) and will be distraught if it doesnt live)

They have a few freinds within a couple of miles, and are allowed to cycle to them...(rural roads) and most of the time is spent playing in the small woods.

They have elctronic stuff, but not to the point of excluding everything else....

They train 4 times a week at present between 1-2 hours a day.. We make the effort in taking them..they go unless they're sick.

In fact I had to reassure one last week, he wouldnt get into trouble defending himself at school...

From what I've seen of them, your kids area real credit to you and your Mrs Matt.. :yes::thumbs:

My daughter (14) is terrible for her mobile/laptop.

She cant even sit and watch a tv programme without texting. As soon as she comes in from school she is on her laptop and on some video chat thing, she even has a video chat thing on her ipod!!!

Found out yesterday she fell asleep at school, i will bet thats because she was on her phone texting or something till the early hours.

My daughter (14) is terrible for her mobile/laptop.

She cant even sit and watch a tv programme without texting. As soon as she comes in from school she is on her laptop and on some video chat thing, she even has a video chat thing on her ipod!!!

Found out yesterday she fell asleep at school, i will bet thats because she was on her phone texting or something till the early hours.

I'd take it off her instantly if I were you bud, both mobile and laptop!

Im lucky at present...

From what I've seen of them, your kids area real credit to you and your Mrs Matt.. :yes::thumbs:

cheers mate,,,, :thumbs: means a lot ,,