point and slip merchants

i must be missing something, but mine are expected to hunt and mooch during the day and work as said on the lamp, i also use them to rough shoot and pickup pigeons from the hide.

well i must be missing something as well as mine work during the day mooching about and will retrieve shot game so i suppose the question really is what constitutes a "point and slip merchant" :thumbs:

For me it would be someone with a dog with no basic training other than chasing, catching and killing something on the lamp.

what about the recall??? or the lead training that was taught so the dog could be on a slip in 1st place, so noo we have lead trained/point/slip an recal dogs lol

:laugh: Feck knows mate, 'point & slip' is just one of those THL classic phrases that I try to make sense of to myself. In real life, I don't really give a monkeys about what other people get up to with their dogs, or apply labels to them.. ;):laugh::thumbs:

• Like 2

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i agree, point an slip means fook all, if it ment what it said we would all have disposable dogs, cos surely after they missed game, they would be long gone, after all no c**t calls them point, slip a

Feck knows mate, 'point & slip' is just one of those THL classic phrases that I try to make sense of to myself. In real life, I don't really give a monkeys about what other people get up to with t

Normally hear this term from fannies, dont worry about it..........let them worry about it   Most of those that say it like an insult should worry more about how much tackle they are "pointing &amp

i agree, point an slip means fook all, if it ment what it said we would all have disposable dogs, cos surely after they missed game, they would be long gone, after all no c**t calls them point, slip an recall dogs :laugh:

i dnt care what anybody says, my dogs which are happy to be pointed an slipped at nite are also happy using there noses during the daytime whilst bushing/mooching/or ferretin....

an all those folk that say dogs cannae do both, aint put there dog in them situations enuff time to let dog relise it dont need its nose for the lamp...

:thumbs:

thats all well and good dotti till you get a pair od b.. like i got were they hunt more daytime than night , so they use the nose alot in the dy especially the bitch to find game , if the f..krs miss at night the y will clear the field hunting up ,, ..perhaps not enough night work !!

Maybe there's an elitist attitude which put's lamping dogs at the bottom,

I love lamping always have

I love bushing and ferreting

I've never been coursing, would love to go ( gone pre ban)

I enjoy watching dogs work and each dicipline has it's own things to learn and over come, lamping dogs have to be trained to do their job the same as any other.

regularly hear this term thrown around as some kind of snide comment but for the lads that only lamp is this not exactly what we are because taking into consideration what i want and need from my dogs then i certainly fit into this category.

i expect my dogs to run the lenth of the beam toward said rabbit weather it can see it or not just trusting my judgement that there is something there,run it and catch then retrieve to hand if it misses lamp off and without so much as a whisper from me the dog return to my side.

so why dont you all just fill in the gaps as to what i seem to be missing out on being the "point and slip merchant "that i am :thumbs:

Normally hear this term from fannies, dont worry about it..........let them worry about it :thumbs:

Most of those that say it like an insult should worry more about how much tackle they are "pointing & slipping" their own dog at ;)

Edited by WILF
  • Like 2

Hunting?

go on then enlighten me

Twas not meant as an insult mate. I don't buy into the idea that all lamping dogs are "point and slip dogs", it's just a nonsense that people use to try to put other down. So many are used daytime as well anyway.

However, some coursing dogs, and i guess some lamping dogs (more so coursing) do spend their life pretty much, on a slip, until quarry is sighted, then let go, they run the quarry and either catch it or lose it and return.

Now that's a skill in itself, but never for me, quite as impressive as watching a dog hunt up land and cover, following a line, putting up it's own quarry and running it down, or sometime taking it before it even gets a chance to make a run.

That was all i meant.

I'm just starting out my first lurcher but what has struck me already is just how versatile lurchers are! Mine will hunt up during the day and will put up and catches prey on her own. She'll also work on the lamp to a reasonable standard in that she'll walk to heel, follow the beam and return when the lamps off. And she'll concentrate to a decent standard when ferreting.....still a bit of work to do with positioning with ferreting and sometimes not returning immediately when lamping but it all seems completely natural.

Before I got a lurcher I thought you either had a lamper, or a moocher, or a ferreter.....I never really expected to have a dog that could do all three! They really are amazing dogs!

Dont mind admitting i havent an ounce of permission , so i lamp off the road , sight the dog , slip him , he comes back , we move on , if thats pointing and slipping , im guilty , but i keep suluki crosses and mine regulary mark cover and pull out squirells , rabbitts etc , which proves this point and slip stuff is utter shite !

a good lamping dog [point and slip] will get more rabbits at night than any dog through the day if you do pest controll a dog like this would be invaluble i cant understand why they get made to sound like lesser of a dog than a daytime one surely what is described is what you want in a lamping dog

A lurcher will get more on the lamp but if you have one that works day and night it is more valueable than one that works only one or the other.

Hunting?

go on then enlighten me

Twas not meant as an insult mate. I don't buy into the idea that all lamping dogs are "point and slip dogs", it's just a nonsense that people use to try to put other down. So many are used daytime as well anyway.

However, some coursing dogs, and i guess some lamping dogs (more so coursing) do spend their life pretty much, on a slip, until quarry is sighted, then let go, they run the quarry and either catch it or lose it and return.

Now that's a skill in itself, but never for me, quite as impressive as watching a dog hunt up land and cover, following a line, putting up it's own quarry and running it down, or sometime taking it before it even gets a chance to make a run.

That was all i meant.

didnt take it as an insult mate just wasnt quite sure what you was getting at :thumbs:

what i call a point and slip dog is a dog that is kept on the lead and slipped as soon as you have found the desired quarry then put straight back on the lead after the run until you find another slip.

ive seen alot of people do that with lamping dogs and also daytime dogs. i wouldnt call my lamp dogs point and slip dogs as when i am working them if they miss a rabbit at the hedge i dont wait for tham to come back to me i put them straight onto another rabbit most times, my dogs go into the beam from which ever angle depending on the way they are coming back from there last run as they know theres quarry at the end of it. in my mind that dogs working the light and not point and slip dog. also i never have my dogs on a slip i always like them to be 20 or 30yds infront of me when out lamping, as soon as you put the light on to scan a field my old dog stands still and follows the lamp with his heads until i send him. the pups still learning but does stands still and follows the beam with his head most times now aswell.

in my mind i suppose some lamp dogs are just point and slip dogs where as others are not. some day dogs are the same worked from a lead and others are not which makes the difference in my mind. :thumbs:

Edited by trigger2

a good lamping dog [point and slip] will get more rabbits at night than any dog through the day if you do pest controll a dog like this would be invaluble i cant understand why they get made to sound like lesser of a dog than a daytime one surely what is described is what you want in a lamping dog

A lurcher will get more on the lamp but if you have one that works day and night it is more valueable than one that works only one or the other.

i agree mate

im sorry, but i always thought a point and slip merchant was someone that slipped on any quarry at any distance regardless of conditions, position and wether it sighted or not by the dog? imo you should always take these points into consideration, so if you sighted a bunny at 100yrds over rocky terrain sitting 5yrds from cover you would slip the dog? i would'nt, common sense prevails here, although there are some out there that would do and even have the cheek to be a little angry if the dog returned empty handed, and that i would class in the point and slip catagory.

edited to say i used to be like that! i was slipping on stuff 3 fields away over fences and stuff like that when i first started out, get all excited at the thought! but now tend to stick to slipping when the odds are more in my favour even a 51/49 odds is worth it sometimes,

i do both myself i always thought point and shoot meant you keep the dog on the lead or slip when the dog has sighted its quarry you slip the dog when it has caught back on the slip and do it again :thumbs: weither its on the lamp or in the day my dogs are capable of working cover and off the slip 1 thing i will say is pointing and shooting does pay off well ive lost quarry in the past because the dogs been off the lead and while the dogs been sniffing about is made off with out the dog even noticing

I have always taken the "point and slip" term to be a derogitary term towards ares holes that keep a dog in a kennel 22 hours a day, give it no training and end up with a wreckless, pent up lunatic on the end of a slip . .. . . which he can point and slip regardless of terrain, conditions or location . . . . . then return it to its kennel and sit and masturbate about its efforts over the internet.

• Like 1