dispatching bunnies

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never liked the chop, seen too many 'bouncing' bunnys, missed shots and swolen hands! Never for rabbits in numbers. Chinning all the way..

i dispatch mine by taikng them out of the net holding the back legs and giving them a chop behind the neck this works for me.

Stretch the neck everytime., don't like to see chopping.

pick up by the back legs with your left hand with its belly towards your leg, slide your right hand down the back untill it stops at the base of its ears, clasp it around the neck, and then pull with your left hand and push away with your right hand at the same time twist your wrist you will feel the neck go. fast and simple takes under a second if done corrrectly, there was a link to a jack hargreaves programme on here a while back thats shows the technique quite well.

Chinning is the best way for me if they are in the net. Take hold of the bunny around the back of the neck firmly with the web of the hand as close to the base of the skull as possible, then put the heel of the other hand underneath the chin, and force back until you feel the break.

The hand holding the bunny, is what is stopping the head bending back without breaking so If you dont have this high enough up the neck, it will take longer and cause unnecessary suffering. ( like it is easier to snap a strong stick on the edge of a hard surface)

If they are not in the net, then stretch them, bending the neck right back until you feel the break. With this method it is the stretch that causes the break, aided by the angle of the neck which will now be at right angles.

pick up by the back legs with your left hand with its belly towards your leg, slide your right hand down the back untill it stops at the base of its ears, clasp it around the neck, and then pull with your left hand and push away with your right hand at the same time twist your wrist you will feel the neck go. fast and simple takes under a second if done corrrectly, there was a link to a jack hargreaves programme on here a while back thats shows the technique quite well.

this is my method,

cheers,

jay. :thumbs:

Chopping doesn't necessarily mean a clean quick kill: I've seen no end of people chopping away at a swinging, bucking rabbit before they manage to kill it: looks amateurish and messy.. Chinning or necking every time: if even a weak woman :tongue2: can neck a rabbit quickly and cleanly, then anyone can! It's just getting the technique right that matters: there's good photos of how to despatch a rabbit in Simon Whitehead's ferreting book.

Chopping doesn't necessarily mean a clean quick kill: I've seen no end of people chopping away at a swinging, bucking rabbit before they manage to kill it: looks amateurish and messy.. Chinning or necking every time: if even a weak woman :tongue2: can neck a rabbit quickly and cleanly, then anyone can! It's just getting the technique right that matters: there's good photos of how to despatch a rabbit in Simon Whitehead's ferreting book.

your right there, its surprising how many people make a big deal out of dispatching a rabbit by trying to chop it around the neck, takes some 2 or 3 chops for them to be sure its dead,i dont favour this method. :tongue2:

cheers,

jay. :thumbs: