Ratting With Lurchers

Guest born to run1083

I use rats at a stage between rabbits and the Charlie give them good experience of encountering being bitten and how to respond, so when the times right they have the drill set in there heads even tho Charlie are alot toughter the lb rats still give a good bite so it's great education

• Like 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

used to take the girls wee brothers down to one of the farms i had with the lurchers. never had any massive bags but it kept them amused for an hour  

I use rats at a stage between rabbits and the Charlie give them good experience of encountering being bitten and how to respond, so when the times right they have the drill set in there heads even tho

I've always been the opposit Chris, i've always started mine on bunnys and always they've brought 'em back live, then when starting them on rats or anythin that bites back, they know the difference.

I've always been the opposit Chris, i've always started mine on bunnys and always they've brought 'em back live, then when starting them on rats or anythin that bites back, they know the difference.

Though, each to their own. :thumbs:

• Like 1

used to take the girls wee brothers down to one of the farms i had with the lurchers. never had any massive bags but it kept them amused for an hour

ratting019.jpg

makes me ashamed ,that two wee lads have no probs being near rats.i f*****g hate them.make my skin crawl.lol

bosuns reply was a good one i agree with all the injuries lurchers get in tips etc but we had nothing better to do in the good old days and the dogs loved it we could rat all day and the dogs were still ready for the same nights lamping forays tough as feck were our dogs and never a scrap amongst them as they were a team as much as we were

love having the odd rattinf day with the lurchers fast and furious action. me and saluki x grey off here took the ferrets and 2 lurchers out after some rabbits. we had 1 or 2 i think then we decided to have abit of craic with the rats around the feeders.my litttle jill killed mor than the dogs but it was a good laugh all the same. we still have a laugh about my collie lurcher picking up a rat and spitting it out just as fast when he got abite through the nose. :haha:

If you take a good lurcher ratting, it will probally get more than the terriers( round the cover crops anyway ). Well my does when I go anyway. They have better eyes and seem much more aware of what's going on. But for fun you carnt beat the terriers. Jmo

We found lurcher to be an absolute godsend in places heaving with rats. Many would have been lost without them :notworthy:

Bit like bushing, terriers in amongst with the lurchers on the outside watching for the sneaky bolter's.

Cant seem to get photobucket to work on here at the mo???

Here is a link to the album....

http://s3.photobucke...blic%20viewing/

LurchersRatting2.jpg

LurchersRatting6.jpg

LurchersRatting1.jpg

LurchersRatting4.jpg

LurchersRatting.jpg

LurchersRatting5.jpg

LurchersRatting7.jpg

LurchersRatting8.jpg

LurchersRatting9.jpg

LurchersRatting10.jpg

LurchersRatting11.jpg

LurchersRatting13.jpg

LurchersRatting14.jpg

LurchersRatting15.jpg

LurchersRatting12.jpg

about 30 years i used to help keep rat numbers down at a dairy farm, this place was infested farmer stopped us one day in a lane fancy sorting my rat problem out ,well we though he had seen the odd rat ! showed us around during the day the rats didnt give a f**k poping there heads out everywhere! my mate had terriers and i had a 22-23 inch beddie whippet bull whippet ,he was amazing loved it would whine in excitment as they cascaded down passed him ! he got bit but soon learned ratting turbo charged mayhem ! like on another reply ferrets took alot of stick. best nose ever on a dog if he marked something was there , i do miss that old dog , good question stabba