Feeding whole rabbit

Anyone feeding any animal tinned food needs their head read.

Ferrets will eat pretty much any meat at all, but steer clear of stuff with added salt (pork products).

Mine get the full range of vermin / game, mostly frozen and defrosted in the summer (with dry food as an addition during the day).

In the winter, they usually get fresh killed game / vermin every day, and i always leave the skin on and try for a third of their weekly rabbits to leave the guts in, as i believe that this provides the 'full range' of nutrients etc.

One of the problems i do have is the meat freezing solid.

My lot will happily decimate a whole rabbit carcass in one sitting. When working they will go through two whole rabbits in a day sometimes.

I never gut birds as i cannot be arsed, but just clean it up when they are done eating.

They also get a decent amount of fish.

Bloody hell mate it's ferrets, anybody would think you were on about your kids ! Taking it a lil too serious me thinks lol

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just a couple of questions on that theory....I feed mine the same way, give them meat last thing at night and then the next morning take it out. My ferrets are very energetic, in great shape, great c

I feed what I've got ,if I got rabbits that's what they get if not its beef mince ,docks ,ox heart ,liver ,chicken carcus ,kibble and only feed once a day.  

The rabbits I feed out to the ferrets, I strike the head with a hammer, gutted & skin left on as this is important for roughage. All that's left of the head is the bottom jaw bone & teeth. Fer

Posted Images

Same here mate i feed rabbits because there so easy ,then birds preferably pigeon i like feeding during the winter as the feathers gather in the hutch and are extra bedding material and apart from a odd foot all thats left is the gizzard and thats easy picked up ,Fish is a odd treat as any rabbits i swap for fish are usually mine ,but when they get them you just have to remove the head .

One thing i tried and got nowhere was putting in a roe buck head and i thought they would clean it and leave me the skull and antlers ,but no joy they didnt touch it so venison a no no whistling.gif

Anyone feeding any animal tinned food needs their head read.

Ferrets will eat pretty much any meat at all, but steer clear of stuff with added salt (pork products).

Mine get the full range of vermin / game, mostly frozen and defrosted in the summer (with dry food as an addition during the day).

In the winter, they usually get fresh killed game / vermin every day, and i always leave the skin on and try for a third of their weekly rabbits to leave the guts in, as i believe that this provides the 'full range' of nutrients etc.

One of the problems i do have is the meat freezing solid.

My lot will happily decimate a whole rabbit carcass in one sitting. When working they will go through two whole rabbits in a day sometimes.

I never gut birds as i cannot be arsed, but just clean it up when they are done eating.

They also get a decent amount of fish.

Bloody hell mate it's ferrets, anybody would think you were on about your kids ! Taking it a lil too serious me thinks lol

Alright sunshine, pray tell, why am "taking it too seriously", because i give them a good, healthy, mixed diet?

Just for the record i do take my ferrets very seriously, i expect them to work nearly every day in the winter and so believe that they deserve the best treatment i can give them, or i shouldnt have them.

Just like any stock, especially working animals.

But out of interest, what's too serious???

• Like 1

Same here mate i feed rabbits because there so easy ,then birds preferably pigeon i like feeding during the winter as the feathers gather in the hutch and are extra bedding material and apart from a odd foot all thats left is the gizzard and thats easy picked up ,Fish is a odd treat as any rabbits i swap for fish are usually mine ,but when they get them you just have to remove the head .

One thing i tried and got nowhere was putting in a roe buck head and i thought they would clean it and leave me the skull and antlers ,but no joy they didnt touch it so venison a no no whistling.gif

My other big reason for the birds, is that rabbit has f**k all fat, and so if working hard, and only fed rabbit, i notice in winter, they begin to lose weight and condition after a while, and birds are packed with fat, so are good to bulk / build them up.

• Like 1

Know what surprised me the amount of fat in chicken ,Ive been getting chicken carcasses and mincing them up for dog food after youve finished you have to get the power washer out to clean the fat off everything . So im going one day rabbit one day chicken to balance it out then

• Like 1
  • 11 years later...

I don't feed mine Rabbit I never have apart from a liver from time to time. For the same reason it's sometimes hard to change the diet of a ferret. It's just my way I don't want them staying on a rabbit they have killed feeding them selfs. Just my theory might not be right who know, sure I'm in for a bit of stick about it but it work for me. 

Cheers Arry

15 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

Take all food away from them at 10pm them 1pm the next day put in your rabbit, no need to skin it. 

That’s way to long for a ferret to be without food they have a tiny digestive track and need to eat very frequently. 

Im feeding mine pheasants still got a load left from last year crammed 360 of them into the freezers from the last days shooting dont know if i will be getting them free this year maybe back to chicken carcasses 

I feed mine rabbit rabbit and more rabbit lol ? and some chicken sometimes wood pigeons* in the summer I feed once a day np with that at all winter I hang half rabbit up in each cage that does them for a few days never fed them 5 or 6 time away if they were in the wild they wouldn't be eaten 5 or 6 times a Day and I still give my ferrets a drink of milk now and again fs years ago our ferrets were brought up on bread and milk with a egg mixed in 

20221006_160435.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Arry said:

I don't feed mine Rabbit I never have apart from a liver from time to time. For the same reason it's sometimes hard to change the diet of a ferret. It's just my way I don't want them staying on a rabbit they have killed feeding them selfs. Just my theory might not be right who know, sure I'm in for a bit of stick about it but it work for me. 

Cheers Arry

If it works for you then brilliant ? I alway said each to there own mate But what I will say feeding them rabbit doesn't make them stay with a rabbit it's pray drive mate ? 

• Like 2