Feeding whole rabbit

Just done a quick search to see what people are feeding there ferrets.

Alot seem to feed dry or tinned.

Do many of you feed whole rabbit as staple diet? And do you gut them or freeze them or fresh from the field?

Do ferrets need worming regular like dogs?

Gaz

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just a couple of questions on that theory....I feed mine the same way, give them meat last thing at night and then the next morning take it out. My ferrets are very energetic, in great shape, great c

I feed what I've got ,if I got rabbits that's what they get if not its beef mince ,docks ,ox heart ,liver ,chicken carcus ,kibble and only feed once a day.  

The rabbits I feed out to the ferrets, I strike the head with a hammer, gutted & skin left on as this is important for roughage. All that's left of the head is the bottom jaw bone & teeth. Fer

Posted Images

Just done a quick search to see what people are feeding there ferrets.

Alot seem to feed dry or tinned.

Do many of you feed whole rabbit as staple diet? And do you gut them or freeze them or fresh from the field?

Do ferrets need worming regular like dogs?

Gaz

i feed mine rabbits squirrels pigeons corvids roadkill and any other left of bits ive shot for the pot, i gut the rabbits thou and i feed mine late at night when theres no flys about and i only feed them enough so there won't be any wastage in the morning, fur and feather is by far the best thing for them, i use frontline them for fleas and ticks

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

Do you gut the pigeons and squirrels or just feed them as they come?

I do a bit of shooting so will have to get up the farm and get myself some free ferret food (loads of pigeons and squirrels).

Gaz

i feed mine rabbit fresh from the field, gutted and skinned, only realy skinned as i keep the pelts to train the pup. the ferts love it, i seperate it into front legs, back legs, front and rear torso and chuck the head away, four easy meals :thumbs: the only thing left in the cage after is a spine or a knee or two :thumbs:

they do have a bit of dry food sometimes aswel.

from what i'v read on here people only worm if there is evidence to suggest worms are present.

.atb. .ste.

Anyone feeding any animal tinned food needs their head read.

Ferrets will eat pretty much any meat at all, but steer clear of stuff with added salt (pork products).

Mine get the full range of vermin / game, mostly frozen and defrosted in the summer (with dry food as an addition during the day).

In the winter, they usually get fresh killed game / vermin every day, and i always leave the skin on and try for a third of their weekly rabbits to leave the guts in, as i believe that this provides the 'full range' of nutrients etc.

One of the problems i do have is the meat freezing solid.

My lot will happily decimate a whole rabbit carcass in one sitting. When working they will go through two whole rabbits in a day sometimes.

I never gut birds as i cannot be arsed, but just clean it up when they are done eating.

They also get a decent amount of fish.

• Like 1

Ferrets will eat pretty much any meat at all, but steer clear of stuff with added salt (pork products).

Mine get the full range of vermin / game, mostly frozen and defrosted in the summer (with dry food as an addition during the day).

In the winter, they usually get fresh killed game / vermin every day, and i always leave the skin on and try for a third of their weekly rabbits to leave the guts in, as i believe that this provides the 'full range' of nutrients etc.

My lot will happily decimate a whole rabbit carcass in one sitting. When working they will go through two whole rabbits in a day sometimes.

I never gut birds as i cannot be arsed, but just clean it up when they are done eating.

When you say they eat a whole rabbit in one sitting or two in a day, how many ferrets are there? If I gave my two a quarter of a rabbit there's nearly always some left uneaten, they wouldn't eat more than half a rabbit in a day between them. They never have eaten much for some reason and yet they're not skinny or anything.

Last winter i was keeping six together, including two hobs that will eat as much as the four jills between them.

Them hobs can really eat, a whole rabbit is easily gone in a day.

This winter it will be eight, 5 jills and 3 hobs.

When you say they eat a whole rabbit in one sitting or two in a day, how many ferrets are there? If I gave my two a quarter of a rabbit there's nearly always some left uneaten, they wouldn't eat more than half a rabbit in a day between them. They never have eaten much for some reason and yet they're not skinny or anything.

sory should have mentioned my two are this years jills, they will eat dry food with a bit of water to soften it up in the morning and a quater of a 1/2 to 3/4 grown rabbit a day in the evening without guts or skin and theres next to nothing left by morning, got a little pestie job to do so perfect for the ferts as the freezer is bare :thumbs:

im have no experiance, its just what im doing :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

I fed mine whole rabbits or part of depending how many's in each hutch . Gut them open up the ribs and pelvis pop in a poly bag and freeze , Generally allow one rabbit to six ferts , I just find its easier feeding them to the ferrets as i get nothing for them so it saves spending cash on dry grub which they scatter over the floor

Thanks for replys.

Is it a good idea to feed a dry food as a base and then supplement with meat as and when its available?

I wouldn't wanna be in a situation where meat is scarce and they won't eat dry.

Thanks

Gaz

Thanks for the reply.

Do you gut the pigeons and squirrels or just feed them as they come?

I do a bit of shooting so will have to get up the farm and get myself some free ferret food (loads of pigeons and squirrels).

Gaz

just feed birds and squirrels as they are mate,i freez the squirrels first to kill all the fleas.

Thanks for replys.Is it a good idea to feed a dry food as a base and then supplement with meat as and when its available?I wouldn't wanna be in a situation where meat is scarce and they won't eat dry.ThanksGaz

i dont think you will find yourself in a position where they wont eat dry if you have no meat, if they are hungry they WILL eat and probably eat pretty mutch anything i would imagine :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

i feed my lot dry when i forget to take the rabbits out of the freezer usually with an egg over it. They get fresh rabbit this time of the year if the dogs pick the odd one up when we are out on a walk and just lately they have had pigeon duck and pheasant from the dogs working hedgerows.

my two young jills will strip a 3/4 grown rabbit in one night and i mean strip it down

If you can see fleas/mites on the rabbit freeze it first saves you having to de-flea the ferrets after. But otherwise shove it all in. I have a jill and a jill kit, usually feed them a leg each over night then dry food often and small chunks of beef/lamb/chicken/fish throughout the day but only enough for them to eat there and then stops it hanging around for the flys.

I am interested to read some of you meat feeders are feeding several meals a day of meat rather than what I do just put it in at night & remove the next morning, I have never fed more than one feed a day with raw meat, once they have eaten what they want its removed till that evening, i dont feed dry food at all

• Like 2