really happy!

why not just buy a pup from a lad who works his dogs and has had pups for the right reason??

Sometimes that is easier said than done!

I'm on the lookout for a decent pup and if I'm honest I'd 'like' it to come from working stock but so long as the dog is a cross of whatever makes up a lurcher (my preference would be any combo of D'hound/Collie/Beddie/Kelpie/G'hound/Whippet but with all due respect to the lads that run them, preferably very little if any, Bull or Saluki) then I'll take my chance and put the hours in with whatever pup I get, working stock or not.

However... there in lies the problem, there are pups that do appear for sale on here and as I don't personally know many of the characters on here, then I've no idea what is in the breeding or if they are genuine. I've seen too many folks buy pups and have been shown pics or even what is meant to be the sire in the flesh, yet when the pup matures you scratch your head wondering wtf was in the make-up of the 'genuine' dam/sire. 10-15 years ago I could have rang around a dozen local lads and found someone with a likely pup for me but a combination of me keeping myself to myself and the decline in decent working dogs, means that even I'm looking at Hancock's dogs and thinking that at least I know what I'll get.

Does that make sense? Just sayin' that getting a decent pup, isn't as easy as some folks make out! ;)

i know where there is a litter bred the way you want, well similar anyway, sire is deer/grey/beddy, dam is 7/8hound 1/8 collie. i just bought one of the litter and am very pleased with her, both parents very hard grafters.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

as soon as i seen your heading mate straight away i was thinking poor lad who is really chuffed with his first lurcher and he is going to get slaughtered and put a downer on it for you. dont worry ju

Hey bud - just ignore it. If he didn't want to "get into the whole Hancock debate" he wouldn't have posted that shit!!! Enjoy your puppy and all the best.

Thats totally true ! I went there in 84 to take a look at "THE HANCOCK EMPORIUM" as Plumber put it ! I was greeted by several 1/2 cross classless,over weight, mongrels, running round ,which didnt eve

Posted Images

while you can get some good dogs of Hancock,i do think really that if you got a lurcherx lurcher= worker to worker, would be a better choise. And i dont think you need that much collie in the mix anyway. For daytime work colliexs are very good, but any type dog will use its nose, by bullxgrey pup is doing brill with is nose.Ok he goes out Bryn every day, so it as brought him on very quick.Most lurchers will catch in the lamp,its the same as day work _(ferreting)they just need the experience. :yes: Bryn my 1x collie grey (local bred) from hawcroft from of here, is brill on rabbits day+night. But as said i just dont think you need alot of collie in a lurcher. So i carnt really see the point of going to hancock in the 1st place. :hmm:

• Like 2

while you can get some good dogs of Hancock,i do think really that if you got a lurcherx lurcher= worker to worker, would be a better choise. And i dont think you need that much collie in the mix anyway. For daytime work colliexs are very good, but any type dog will use its nose, by bullxgrey pup is doing brill with is nose.Ok he goes out Bryn every day, so it as brought him on very quick.Most lurchers will catch in the lamp,its the same as day work _(ferreting)they just need the experience. :yes: Bryn my 1x collie grey (local bred) from hawcroft from of here, is brill on rabbits day+night. But as said i just dont think you need alot of collie in a lurcher. So i carnt really see the point of going to hancock in the 1st place. :hmm:

Good post. :thumbs:

Good post. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

i know where there is a litter bred the way you want, well similar anyway, sire is deer/grey/beddy, dam is 7/8hound 1/8 collie. i just bought one of the litter and am very pleased with her, both parents very hard grafters.

Cheers! However are the pups in Ireland? I don't mind a bit of travelling but over to Ireland is a bit of a hike and the only alternative is puppy courier and I'd want to see the animal first. :hmm:

hancock and plummer, stole, a lot of knowledge ect, from good dog men and wrote books with it!

After getting them selfs a good name threw books, Hancock gave up chicken farming and turned the sheds into puppy farming instead. !!!! :thumbdown:

Thats totally true ! I went there in 84 to take a look at "THE HANCOCK EMPORIUM" as Plumber put it ! I was greeted by several 1/2 cross classless,over weight, mongrels, running round ,which didnt even look like lurchers.Then i witnessed Taffy going demented on a chain ! Followed by his stud greyhound,"Shooting news" ,with his nails 2 inches long ! The finaly was about 20 brood track greyhound bitches in pig stys, all with pups at different stages.What a disapointment to a young lad , but at least i found out what they was all about !

:thumbs:

thanks for all the help, really looking forward to picking him up :D

Well mate that little lot was quite eventful eh? Just ignore the knockers and enjoy your puppy I'm sure you'll have years of great fun with her. Take care and all the best with your puppy.

Put plenty of time, effort and put enough stuff in front of it and it well be OK. FCUK the "experts" on here.

ATB with your pup mate. Not saying Hancocks are the best ever lurchers but there are a lot worse bred lurchers out there.

If it suits you mate, thats all it needs to do! It probably won't be a 5/5 hare killer but hey, dog snobbery, what a load of shite.:wallbash:

Cheers, D.

Put plenty of time, effort and put enough stuff in front of it and it well be OK. FCUK the "experts" on here.

ATB with your pup mate. Not saying Hancocks are the best ever lurchers but there are a lot worse bred lurchers out there.

If it suits you mate, thats all it needs to do! It probably won't be a 5/5 hare killer but hey, dog snobbery, what a load of shite.:wallbash:

Cheers, D.

ditto

at the end of the day you wont get a down and out fenn dog off colliex lurchers like you would with a saluki x and your not going to get seriouce killing dogs like you would off bullxs you might get the odd one bot nine times out of 10 you wont, if you got the pup for lamping rabbits or mooching best of luck cause one thing ill say they do make good rabbit dogs, good and bad pups come off every breed no matter what blood they have, hope your pup does you proud, good luck bud

Cheers, D.

so who gives a f**k that the dogs are kept in shit never walked, stuck in a pen 24/7??? thats what most lads are on about!

I'm not knocking the lads pup at all, what i am knocking is his breeding Practices, and if people stop buying from him he might sort his act out!

and as for their being worse pups to buy, i think most of pups for sale will still be on par with hancocks pups TBH!

• Like 2

what does old handcock charge for a pup these days

and what does he do with the older pups, surely there must be occasions where he cant sell every pup out of every litter, or when they hit a certain age does he reduce the price or have a "2 for 1 offer" to reduce his stock, or does he discreetly cull the older ones in order to fill that space with some more newborns, i went down in 1998 with a mate who got a 1/4collie3/4grey and the place was rotten, we declined a cup of tea as even the cups were filthy, the pup made a big fine 27inch dog to look at but had no wind,and was a nervous wreck, think its still with his pet home now,

• Like 1