It can be done , but red stags come in all weights ie 12-13stone up to 20.If in the rut they can be very angry.Wolfs use to kill deer in scotland all the time red that is but the last wolf was killed in glencoe by a scottish deerhound a brace of the them, and thats what they were bred for for . red deer

Just like boar hunting hold them till the human comes , and they aint much we cant kill

so for scottish deerhound or irsh wolfhound yes no probs

From what i've read historically deerhounds were run doubled up. As for the modern Irish wolfhound, they are oversized walkig health problems that wouldn't have a hope in even getting to terms with any deer species nowdays......

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put your cocks away lads, and get the thread back on track.

Yous are all laughable. Even the most mentally challenged dogman would realize that a fit and healthy red stag in its prime is NEVER going to be had with one dog.   I work alongside reds every day w

theres a pic in one of darcy books of a stag taken with two bull crosses. . .

Posted Images

There few clips on you tube packs off dogs on big male stags and none had the balls go in when the stag was cornered dont know how get the link up

should say share in the top right hand corner with the link copy and paste mate.

one of the first ever deer i saw pulled when i was a kid was a fallow stag before that the only other deer i had saw pulled was a munty buck and the difference between the 2 is big as alot of you will know obviously, any way we had a saluki greyhound dog and a bull greyhound bitch she was just over 2 at the time on the field were a small group maybe 6 or 7 any way we slipped the dogs on a doe and they were making good ground on her and out of know where came this stag believe it or not he was trying to pull the dogs away from the doe obviuosly he didnt want anybody messing with his chicks. Before long the bitch had hold of the stag by his throat but he werent having any of it herling the dogs round my mate past me the knife and told me to get in there let me tell yah i was running at it like a mad man but part of me was saying what the hell are you doing. Me and the two dogs wrestled it to the ground and he met his maker, all i wanna say is that was a fallow god help the dogs that take on a red single handed i knoiw i wouldnt be charging at that ha ha ha ha ha :thumbs:

my nephew's dog chased one by accident and got under it trying to get hold of it before it made its escape by swimming across the loch. the dog would not have been able to hold it as its a small dog, but very game! i do think there are dogs that can catch them but need some one close to end it.

Realistically, how many dogs are worked on big fast game week in week out and so develop the ability to bring down such beasts? Im talking regularly taking fallow bucks and bigger. Not many I should think. I would imagine that if a dog was to do it, it would have to be well experienced with knocking over big bucks and of course physical strength is gonna be a serious factor here. Cant be many dogs physically capable of dropping one, having the mental determination to do it AND have the experience of taking large fast game on a regular bassis! However, I do not believe it impossible and my life would soon turn very dull if I belived it impossible.

I posted on this subject a week or 2 ago in Deer pre ban , it is possible i have seen it , if a stag and and a dog are running at pace and the dog takes the stag by the hock with momentem it will tumble .An expierenced dog will then have a chance to throat it.

This clip just shows the bravery and detemination some dogs have ............. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

• Like 1

again Custer caught a bison bull (twice as big as a red) w/ two deerhounds. the male caught the ear and rolled it. when it tried to get back to it's fee the male held the ear and the bitch held a hind leg. i put forth that some dogs are still capable it is the weak heart of the owners that fail the test. i will also admit that one out is likely the exception and always was but not to the point of disbelief that it is now.

Is that what is known as a 'buffalo'? Sounds like quite an task. Any photographic evidence?

ther his i believe dogs still capableof taking reds in the british isles and some i have no doubt still are for the none believers who discredit this his possible well what can one say , dfferent leagues for different players . atb bunnys

Thats a fairly arrogant statement.

I think there is a massive difference between a pair or more of dogs running it and managing to hold it against a fence, or hedge or generally wear it down enough for the man to get in (I believe that scottish deerhounds were pretty much always doubled up or more) and a single dog running it and pulling it mid run in the open. There is also a big difference between red hinds and red stags and an even bigger difference between a small stag and a f*****g monster. I would never doubt that folk have/do take them, in the right situations, with the right dogs, but i doubt anyone would be able to do it often on the proper wild monsters daytime. And if you tried, you'd go through a few dogs. Like has been said a decent sized fallow buck is am impressive thing to knock over, and a decent red weighs in at double a decent fallow. I'd LOVE to see it tho, daytime, open moorland in the highlands and two very good dogs. . . . . is there any bigger/tougher quarry?

I posted on this subject a week or 2 ago in Deer pre ban , it is possible i have seen it , if a stag and and a dog are running at pace and the dog takes the stag by the hock with momentem it will tumble .An expierenced dog will then have a chance to throat it.

This clip just shows the bravery and detemination some dogs have ............. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

that dog has some balls balls on it a Bengali tiger