Carl Williams

3 minutes ago, TOMO said:

the staminar thing depends on what your running....if you want a dog that can put 5 mins in on a hare then forget anything that aint coursing bred.....if you want something exciting for 2 mins....then a grew will do it ...

and theres no reason they couldnt knock 30 rabbits over on the lamp twice a week....

but staminar is subjective...to what you as the owner want out of a dog..

i just think to when i was  a kid tomo  the grews were good exciting dogs but walking all day lamping back not massive fields they would collapse mate never last neither would a pure grey or whippet  

not long courses but running what got up ?it was  arable mate clay and sandy clay  

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A line is only worth its name if it used extensively,...poor performers need to be removed and young stock should only be offered to men that can enter them sensibly, and test them to the full over a

Got to laugh...pulling up threads from 10 yrs back ...in the hope some mug blows some smoke up his arse? If he was the real deal...then he wouldn't of had a 10 yr break... dogs are a way of life

Problem with the lurcher game is that whilst it is full of passion and thrills,..it can also bring Heartache and sadness.. I'm sure we have all,..been there...? I've been around hunting dogs

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

i just think to when i was  a kid tomo  the grews were good exciting dogs but walking all day lamping back not massive fields they would collapse mate never last neither would a pure grey or whippet  

not long courses but running what got up ?it was  arable mate clay and sandy clay  

How is every cross or type you've seen, apart from saluki coursing types, crap?  Greyhounds, whippet/greyhounds and whippets, would collapse just through walking all day, after a few runs?!  Yeah ok lol

2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

How is every cross or type you've seen, apart from saluki coursing types, crap?  Greyhounds, whippet/greyhounds and whippets, would collapse just through walking all day, after a few runs?!  Yeah ok lol

ive seen a few types capable mate  sal x collie x deer x bitzas and even malix 

your talking 30 plus mile walking mate had to cover land to get to good  try for a few hare each maybe a bambi 

then lamp when dark on what got up not a few runs mate alot 

whippet grey a whippet or grey couldnt even lamp 3 hares and carry on rabbiting mate 

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

your talking 30 plus mile walking mate had to cover land to get to good  try for a few hare each maybe a bambi 

whippet grey a whippet or grey couldnt even lamp 3 hares and carry on rabbiting mate 

You'd walk 30 miles, run a few hares, then go lamping and run whatever got up, all in the same 24 hours?!  No wonder the dogs threw in the towel, they were sick of you!!  ? ?

• Haha 3
8 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

walking 30 miles....i would colapse never mind the dog....

serriously though i have not seen a grew colapse after 3 runs on hare....or catching a bag of rabbits...

• Like 3
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

You'd walk 30 miles, run a few hares, then go lamping and run whatever got up, all in the same 24 hours?!  No wonder the dogs threw in the towel, they were sick of you!!  ? ?

lol if you have to walk to get runs on daytime hares mate but comes alive on night all way back 30 plus mile easily done 

in a daytime coursing light  to dark 20 miles still today mate thats with no travelling by foot to get there lol

2 minutes ago, TOMO said:

i think you should be a fisherman mc ....lol.... i recon 30 mile walk is just streching the truth a tiny wee bit....

lol tomo i promise you mate we done more than  that 40 plus weve fall asleep middle a winter in dykes lol

if you popped up this season coursing mate ill take you a round trip no roads 20 mile about 44000 steps take most daylight but still be light when we get back to car 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TOMO said:

serriously though i have not seen a grew colapse after 3 runs on hare....or catching a bag of rabbits

Same here mate, seen what you say several times.

Edited by shaaark
4 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you run one mate ?

we all run different land mate 

?

I've owned three 1st cross whippet/greys in the past.  I found them very versatile, and great catch dogs. 

• Like 3
Just now, shaaark said:

I've owned three 1st cross whippet/greys in the past.  I found them very versatile, and great catch dogs. 

seen a few good uns mate even ok daytime hares until it gets real wet ?

No offence intended, mC , and I walked some hours and distance when I was a lot younger, but I tend to put the "30-40 mile walks" in the same category as the "9 minute courses" and the "200 yard lamping slips" !

Might seem like it at the time, but in retrospect , they weren't quite that ! ??!

Cheers.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3