foxing springers

i was out with a lad not 2 long back who had a pair of springers were great dogs 2 hunt big heavy cover and forestrees but when hunting ditches and dikes had a habbit of running on ahead hunting on bout 50 yards ahead of us which i found a pain as my lurcher works 2 heal and my terriers are steady and they kept dragging them on.

i have the same problem with my cocker dog, he will flush anything out of cover and will let you know when he's on a scent, but he does get carried away and will start to hunt up on his own, sometimes 100 yrds or so in front, i got him when he was 18 mths old, is it to late to teach him and how would i go about doing it? if i'am taking over the thread i do appologise.:thumbs:

dont no if theres much you can do with him mate at this age thats why i allways get my terriers as pups so i can train them the way i like them 2 hunt.they are a very lively breed of dog so id say u would have 2 start trainning with them at an early age.would love a springer crossed with small terrier russell r pat if i came across one.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure I had her mom off a mate of mine a good few years back now new had paper work she was used to kick hares up and deer I bred her to my mates springer dog but unfortunately the bitch had bl

That was when she was about 10 month or more I bred her myself her mom was off her nut the mom was good worker this bitch isn't a world beater but she works knocks stuff up that's enough for me 

Posted Images

I used to own a pair of cockers about twenty Years ago tremendous stamina go through any cover and would only open up when they actually seen quarry the gun boys use to love them because when they opened up they would take the safety off.

You cant beat a good springer or cocker for flushing to gun or lurcher as long as they stay within gun range if they dont and they run on ahead :wallbash: like my bedlington You could hit over the head with a brick and you wouldnt stop her luckily my lurcher has worked her out now and stays with her.

i was out with a lad not 2 long back who had a pair of springers were great dogs 2 hunt big heavy cover and forestrees but when hunting ditches and dikes had a habbit of running on ahead hunting on bout 50 yards ahead of us which i found a pain as my lurcher works 2 heal and my terriers are steady and they kept dragging them on.

i have the same problem with my cocker dog, he will flush anything out of cover and will let you know when he's on a scent, but he does get carried away and will start to hunt up on his own, sometimes 100 yrds or so in front, i got him when he was 18 mths old, is it to late to teach him and how would i go about doing it? if i'am taking over the thread i do appologise.:thumbs:

dont no if theres much you can do with him mate at this age thats why i allways get my terriers as pups so i can train them the way i like them 2 hunt.they are a very lively breed of dog so id say u would have 2 start trainning with them at an early age.would love a springer crossed with small terrier russell r pat if i came across one.

wasn't sure if there was anything i could do with him, luckily i have a wee cocker bitch aswell and she is great in cover aswell and she won't stray any longer than 10 yrds away,cheers......john :thumbs:

• 13 years later...
50 minutes ago, Smashing reds said:

Any lads in Ireland with barking springers? Looking for one to hunt ditches and put out foxes to a lurcher. Probably a big ask but just chancing my arm. Thanks in advance 👍

I’ve not got much experience with pure springers or cockers but the ones I have seen have always been mute. Prob worth looking at other crosses if you are open to them. Spaniel terrier or something with some beagle. Depends if you are dead set on springers only. ATB with the search. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Penda said:

I own a springer bitch that flushes fox and will go into 1 if she gets half the chance 

Mate had a springer dog called Benson....cnut would draw stuff from  earths like a half x bull ,wasnt fussy and would dive into the middle of any melee 🙈

That bitch of yours sounds like a good un👍DSC01045.JPG.22283a53b060af5814c4a7d0d038fbc5.JPG

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Smashing reds said:

Is the bitch for sale? Would you be in Ireland?

Nah not from Ireland mate I wouldn't sell her to be honest she's no field trial dog but she's a honest working she gets stuff out the cover

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Mate had a springer dog called Benson....cnut would draw stuff from  earths like a half x bull ,wasnt fussy and would dive into the middle of any melee 🙈

That bitch of yours sounds like a good un👍DSC01045.JPG.22283a53b060af5814c4a7d0d038fbc5.JPG

20211207_210351.jpg

• Like 11

That was when she was about 10 month or more I bred her myself her mom was off her nut the mom was good worker this bitch isn't a world beater but she works knocks stuff up that's enough for me 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Penda said:

Does she have old badger court in her penda