foxing springers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure I had her mom off a mate of mine a good few years back now new had paper work she was used to kick hares up and deer I bred her to my mates springer dog but unfortunately the bitch had bl

That was when she was about 10 month or more I bred her myself her mom was off her nut the mom was good worker this bitch isn't a world beater but she works knocks stuff up that's enough for me 

Posted Images

anyone here use springers to knock foxes out for lurchers?i do and find em good.what ye think?

My springer is forever chasing foxes but is too slow to catch em afterwards. I'm hoping my beddie whippet will change that when she's older. :yes:

from my experience a springer will flush anything it comes across, including the farmers cat if it gets caught up in the beating line. lol.

A good spaniel will investigate and flush EVERY living thing in a piece of cover / wood. We put up foxes just about every shoot day and often on the boundry days :gunsmilie: Had some fun working a few springers through maize.

My neighbours housepet springer is a maniac off the lead. He dashes straight into any cover and flushes out cats, fox, rabbits, birds, squirrels etc etc etc. He won't stop till he's covered every inch of the cover, no matter how thick and thorny. Then he tries to go back and start again.

I've often told my neighbour his pet would make a good hunting dog but he takes him home, blowdries his coat and fattens him up.

Fair play to him though, it's his pet.

But this dog gave me a whole new respect for spaniels.

I used to use a sporting lucas for this job, but now i use my Am-Bulldog who i will say is pretty much silent but leave's nothing undisturbed, any cover whins,blackberrys etc; and because of his short coat i can find any thorns or foriegn body's easily. Also he will work with any other dog or gun :thumbs:

• Like 2

we mainly use springers and springer crosses for doing the covers and flushing to the lurchers. All bark when their on. Our own one will bark at anything she comes across, fox, rabbit, hare or cats. All the dogs were bread form parents doing the same thing but with everything some are good and some aren't.

i was out with a lad not 2 long back who had a pair of springers were great dogs 2 hunt big heavy cover and forestrees but when hunting ditches and dikes had a habbit of running on ahead hunting on bout 50 yards ahead of us which i found a pain as my lurcher works 2 heal and my terriers are steady and they kept dragging them on.

i was out with a lad not 2 long back who had a pair of springers were great dogs 2 hunt big heavy cover and forestrees but when hunting ditches and dikes had a habbit of running on ahead hunting on bout 50 yards ahead of us which i found a pain as my lurcher works 2 heal and my terriers are steady and they kept dragging them on.

i have the same problem with my cocker dog, he will flush anything out of cover and will let you know when he's on a scent, but he does get carried away and will start to hunt up on his own, sometimes 100 yrds or so in front, i got him when he was 18 mths old, is it to late to teach him and how would i go about doing it? if i'am taking over the thread i do appologise.:thumbs:

Popped another one out today with the spaniels on our shoot. Also got offered a half springer half pat (free) - accidental mating, but both parents good workers and might be interesting, look like slightly smaller springers.