BIG BIG RUNNING DOGS ANY CROSS OR PURE BREED

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pics are of my old deer x, Gelert, 32 tts

post-37748-1251903150.jpg

post-37748-1251903189.jpg

thats a big dog, my uncle used to have a deerhound greyhound saturated lurcher, he was 32inches to the shoulder and used to retrieve foxes alive often jumping a 5 bar gate with it in his mouth :big_boss: he was thicker set than your dog, he had a head like the love dragon from the never ending story :laugh: everything about him was big....he was suprisingly fast and agile and capable of nailing rabbits and other small game suitably well!

how do dogs of say 27-30"+ do on their quarry, i.e pace,turn etc/?

They can catch, but will loose agilty on the turn. Its not so much [height] its the[ weight] where they loose out. Ive seen 27-29in dogs catch rabbits, but most were [60-70lb], and agile with it. most quarry in the UK can it speed of 30-40mph, so you need a agile dog.And its not the height the prob, its the weight. :wallbash:

how do dogs of say 27-30"+ do on their quarry, i.e pace,turn etc/?

They can catch, but will loose agilty on the turn. Its not so much [height] its the[ weight] where they loose out. Ive seen 27-29in dogs catch rabbits, but most were [60-70lb], and agile with it. most quarry in the UK can it speed of 30-40mph, so you need a agile dog.And its not the height the prob, its the weight. :wallbash:

id say both factors make an impact on how agile a dog can be

Pics are of my old deer x, Gelert, 32 tts

post-37748-1251903150.jpg

post-37748-1251903189.jpg

thats a big dog, my uncle used to have a deerhound greyhound saturated lurcher, he was 32inches to the shoulder and used to retrieve foxes alive often jumping a 5 bar gate with it in his mouth :big_boss: he was thicker set than your dog, he had a head like the love dragon from the never ending story :laugh: everything about him was big....he was suprisingly fast and agile and capable of nailing rabbits and other small game suitably well!

looks like its searching for a wolf or red stag to pull down before breakfast !

wish i had room for abig dog ! they are some crackeras there.are they like great danes?not as long lived as smaller dogs??

Gelert passed away a few months ago aged 11, he had a suspected heart attack last october and never quite recovered from it. When he was in his prime he was a joy to see in full flight, five bar gates were jumped with ease, surprisingly agile for such a big dog, although not as quick as a smaller/lighter dog on the turn.Incredible stamina though, the pics were taken on a 15 mile wander around the black mountain in the western end of the brecon beacons. It was an absolute pleasure to share 11 years of my life with him.

Bought a pup a couple of months ago which is a very similar cross (deerhound/grey/beardie), already 18 inches tts at 13 weeks, he's going to be a big 'un methinks.

post-37748-1251908813.jpg