Ton up

Border lad has raised the important issue.

Back in the 80s when this topic realy started, i was a young(ish) lad starting out,

i found it quite disheartening, to think that "real" dogmen were hoovering up vast hauls of bunnies with ease, What was wrong with my dogs ?

Why wernt they happily plonking 100s of rabbits into my eager, yet hoplessly green hands ?

Only with time and experience (and becoming a little decrepid) did i realise,

why the f*ck would you want to catch that many ? unless its a job of work, it can only be one reason, BRAGGING RIGHTS, a bit hollow, imho.

So who ever first made the claim, did every young hunter a very real disservice.

Is it realy that important to know for sure if anyones done it ? :angel:

well said foxfan, i too used to believe all those lies until i knew better. these legendary dogs are just that-legends.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lurchers&terriers

To say its 100% not posable is a bit narrow-minded . Climbing Everest naked on your toes with you hands tied behind your back is impossible. I myself dont think 100 rabbits is impossible. Given the right circumstances the right dog why not.

I done 107 chalkwarren or socks couldnt do that amount not in a month of sundays. They're liars. Nick is a hero and a much better dog man than them.

:clapper::clapper::clapper: ..............

Guest lurchers&terriers
As i have already stated I have caught 107 rabbits on the lamp with 1 dog. I was lamping salisbury plains recently and nearly reached the magical ton once again. My current dog Glass Eye who is a line bred type of bitza killed 96 single handed.

any pics? :victory:

about 15yrs or so ago i used to go to a place called blackford in scotland would lamp single handed with 1 dog to feed my kennel after about 15 rabbits teh weight took its toll that would be around 30 40 lbs plus the lamp plus the dog so not say it impossible fcuking hard going though but with a pal or 2 and another dog think it possible

To say its 100% not posable is a bit narrow-minded . Climbing Everest naked on your toes with you hands tied behind your back is impossible....
i know someone that could do that,..... :whistling:

I've done it...............................with me feet tied together walking on me hands......................... :boogie:

Nothing to do with bragging rights nipper. Its about testing your dog and yourself to the limit. You need to be a special type of charcater to achieve such feats. Not that you lot would know anything about it.

another dreamer probably his best bag would about 20 testing your dog to the limits, ((( we are talking about LURCHERS((( what was a poor mans hunting dog for helping to fill the pot,, I made a mistake by naming a lamps+lurchers, it should have BEEN LAMP +BATTERY, COMES FROM BLYTH,

As i have already stated I have caught 107 rabbits on the lamp with 1 dog. I was lamping salisbury plains recently and nearly reached the magical ton once again. My current dog Glass Eye who is a line bred type of bitza killed 96 single handed.

absolute fantastic, a great achievment, THE LAST OF THE GREAT WHITE HUNTERS, ANOTHER ONE HAS SURFACED OUT OF THE WOODWORK, DREAM ON DREAM ON,, WRITE YOUR BOOKS TAKE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS DISPLAY THEM SO THE WORLD CAN SEE THIS GREAT GREAT HUNTER AND DOGMAN,

THIS STARTED ON FRIDAY MORNING AND IT IS TUESDAY MORNING, YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOUR MEDICATION, THE GOOD Vs, the BAD,

:thumbs:

Snoop said...]fook it then chalky when i do it i wont post a pic...

BUT,...you won't do it,.... :thumbs:

iam not a skydiver chalky.... :thumbs:

C'mon man,.put the photo up,....make an old man happy.... :clapper:

He doesn't own the copyright on them CW.... :whistling::clapper::tongue2:

And he knows he will get a smacked botty if he is bad.... :D:D:D

he sure is angry is border lad dont know what that outburst is all about :blink: im asking cos i remember a lot of talk about tommy mcphee back in the late 80s and early 90s i heard from more than one source he kept some very handy lamp dogs and he would punish them hard with a lot of running as caithness was heavy populated with rabbits at the time. it would just be good to know if it was wifes tales or truth thats all. no offence meant to u chalkwarren. or anybody else :D

no one else took offence spotty ,just the crazy jock :clapper:

Here pal keep your insults to your self, there is enough going on, with out going down stairs, for those fellows whose interests in writing books of course they want to talk large numbers, I heard that certain fellows on here put three days catch together to make it look good of these big numbers and a fellow witnessed this now because i didnt see it for myself, do you call that hunting and take it from me the fellow saw it first hand,

Er,.we have already done that one fellah,... :D

Truth is,..I once took a tyro hunter that used to be on this site out for a days ferreting,..we caught 30 or 40 conies... :yes:

We then went out for another few hours and caught another wee batch,.20 or 30...

Then Socks and myself ferreted a couple of large buries and took out another 40 or so...

The tyro then offered to take the rabbits and sell them locally,...and before he did I suggested that a photo of the catch would look good and represent a good days ferreting on the Chalk,...and could be used to illustrate the same..

Now, I don't go lamping these days,..there is no profit in it for me,...and most folks KNOW that...

However,.there is always a lot of jealousy 'doing the rounds' and I have learn't that it kinda goes with the territory :D

But,.I did ask this Tyro WHY he made up such a story and passed it on to another guy ?...

He couldn't seem to explain why he did it,.and fair play,..he did come on here and put things straight... :clapper:

There was,.and never has been any reason to make up silly stories or boast about catching 80 or 90 poxy rabbits,.. :yes:

Why on earth would I .....?

I catch rabbits for a living,...

This is not a big deal for us,.and like lots of other guys, we work hard at the game,.and enjoy it immensely...

Now I have tried to be polite and civil to you,...so I would ask you not to talk so silly.... :laugh:

All the best,.CHALKWARREN.... :drink:

Now I am the fellow in question.............................and by the time I return home expect to be deleted from this site, again.

And who ever you are BORDER LAD dont use my name for one of your arguements.

If you want to spout shit do it with your own name not others.

Its no secret that myself and Chalkwarren had a bit of a falling out.

So what people do, and the reasons for that are between me and him, only................................that means you too Socks.....!

However, even though I did have a falling out with him doesnt mean Im going to allow the wrong things to be said.

This pic of a hundred ferreted rabbits was and is as Chalkwarren discribes it.

I was getting a good price from a local butcher and it was agreed by the 4 of us to get as many as possible over the weekend, and put them in the same pot for me to sell and share the pennies.

At NO time was any suggestion made that it was one days catch.

A ref was made that it would make a nice pic called "Inspecting the catch" but that was it.

Now be it one, two or three days catch a pic called "Inspecting the catch" does not infer that it was one days catch.

As far as I can remember they were caught over three days and I sold them on Monday.

Now I did tell someone, about this, but unfortunately he used it as ammo, and as a lever to try and create ill feeling.

But, at no time did I ever infer that it was a single days catch.

The one thing I have learnt from all this is how, bitchy and gay grown adults can act from behind a computer.

I mean honestly take a look at yourselves with all this name calling.

You lot are almost bordering PATHETIC!

I dont get out now as my personal circumstance has changed, but I cant help thinking that how fragmented the dog world is with US lot trying to slash each others throat.

Nik/Rabbiteer

3 days catch.

IMGP3406.jpg