Handlines And Night Lines

I seen it on the warreners DVD. My missus old man said about the thermal cameras. Do they really sit out at night with them?

yes mate and check the motor-I'm a bailiff on the wye/Rhymney and caerphilly castle-these days they don't f**k about-big dogs,cs gas and always mob handed lol-we have caught lots of lads and they get a good slap too-best off getting a rod licence and fishing with a rod and line-no need to look over your shoulders then . Atb dc
  • Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it's good to read those old books and want to try things....we have all done it as kids..but..there is no point trying to catch trout on night lines. What happens when you return in the morning

Used to put a line across the beach bury a house brick with a line on it stretch it across the beach and bury another house brick on the other end over night. While staying in chalets on the cliff at

Posted Images

All this talk reminds me of fond memories of borrowing them spotted Bass from the moors in mid December many years ago now when they used to run while out supposedly lamping rabbits.

Cheers Arry

A slap for fishing haha ye must be catching kids haha

a slap for stealing 20lb plus carp or double figure barbel and setting night lines don-last season on the wye some prick from the rowing club drove through my swim in a speed boat and cut through my line and my pals 3 f***ing times-I drove to the club house and shook the silly c**t ...don't mind banging any c**t that tries to boy me off gobbling off from the middle of the river..don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. The wye a big salmon river and the ghillies Moor the boats on the bank-I was stood in the boat netting a barbel for my pal with my head torch on and someone reported us as poaching lol-they came checked us over walking the banks with the thermal camera and then spun my truck lol.can't stand the taste of salmon myself and no interest in eating them...sea trout....that's another story. Atb dc
  • Like 2

Used to set long lines on the beach while the tide was out, hammer in two poles and leave about two feet stuck out above the sand, tie on your line with baited paternoster hooks and baits. Tide comes in, tide goes out and you should be there to take your fish and remove your line, unless your running it again on the next tide.

• Like 3

Used to set long lines on the beach while the tide was out, hammer in two poles and leave about two feet stuck out above the sand, tie on your line with baited paternoster hooks and baits. Tide comes in, tide goes out and you should be there to take your fish and remove your line, unless your running it again on the next tide.

Used to put a line across the beach bury a house brick with a line on it stretch it across the beach and bury another house brick on the other end over night. While staying in chalets on the cliff at White sands Cornwall when I was a kid Place,Turbot and Bass I loved it.

Cheers Arry

• Like 4

What's the legalities of doing it in the sea? I just popped to the stream that I said was possibly trout taking flies. I can confirm there is trout there and they like worms aswell. Managed to bag one. So a nice spot ill keep quiet to myself ,i think its u touched. I will just borrow the odd trout once in a blue moon but probably return most. Great fun. Much rather be at the brook than the beer garden!

• Like 3

A slap for fishing haha ye must be catching kids haha

a slap for stealing 20lb plus carp or double figure barbel and setting night lines don-last season on the wye some prick from the rowing club drove through my swim in a speed boat and cut through my line and my pals 3 f***ing times-I drove to the club house and shook the silly c**t ...don't mind banging any c**t that tries to boy me off gobbling off from the middle of the river..don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. The wye a big salmon river and the ghillies Moor the boats on the bank-I was stood in the boat netting a barbel for my pal with my head torch on and someone reported us as poaching lol-they came checked us over walking the banks with the thermal camera and then spun my truck lol.can't stand the taste of salmon myself and no interest in eating them...sea trout....that's another story. Atb dc
home made sea trout fish cakes with sweet chilli sauce they're beezer.
  • Like 3

I know it's good to read those old books and want to try things....we have all done it as kids..but..there is no point trying to catch trout on night lines. What happens when you return in the morning and there is an undersized trout hanging half dead or a nice chub has swallowed your hook. The old poaching books won't tell you about that...why should it, they were feeding their kids. If you want to make things more interesting and sporting then do it...get a nice little drop shotting set up or buy a nice little fly rod..or an old split cane and centerpin. Trying to catch freshwater fish on a night line is a way to kill fish needlessly and quite rightly get your car confiscated.

I do fancy nightlining flat fish on a beach though

• Like 8

I know it's good to read those old books and want to try things....we have all done it as kids..but..there is no point trying to catch trout on night lines. What happens when you return in the morning and there is an undersized trout hanging half dead or a nice chub has swallowed your hook. The old poaching books won't tell you about that...why should it, they were feeding their kids. If you want to make things more interesting and sporting then do it...get a nice little drop shotting set up or buy a nice little fly rod..or an old split cane and centerpin. Trying to catch freshwater fish on a night line is a way to kill fish needlessly and quite rightly get your car confiscated.

I do fancy nightlining flat fish on a beach though

You are so right what you and the Forest of Dean say

But ..when I was a young'en i used to borrow a odd spotted bass or a pheasant that fell out of a tree it was to help feed the family, its how i was brought up. But when I was about 12 i was so excited to get up first light even wade out in the sea to see what was on the the line we set the night before when the tides were right, over fifty years ago now.

Also theres the outwitting the game keepers and bailiffs, sometime i think that was half the fun, never done it for profit just for the pot.

Cheers Arry

• Like 4

Dido there's some good spots to be had and some bonus bass as well we use to put some single lines out for them but doggies usally got there first we used small metal plates about 8 inch by 4 inch buried about 18 inch no weight to carry and about 30 hooks a line how many you put out is up to you there's some good worm beds to in case you want to do a second tide I have it wrote down somewere how soon before low tide you can get out depending on which beach your on and don't do what I did putting out a few lines without checking the size of the next tide as one I did was smaller and I couldn't get to my lines if you want some marks that have always been kind to us from Southport to Fleetwood give us a pm

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 1

Dido there's some good spots to be had and some bonus bass as well we use to put some single lines out for them but doggies usally got there first we used small metal plates about 8 inch by 4 inch buried about 18 inch no weight to carry and about 30 hooks a line how many you put out is up to you there's some good worm beds to in case you want to do a second tide I have it wrote down somewere how soon before low tide you can get out depending on which beach your on and don't do what I did putting out a few lines without checking the size of the next tide as one I did was smaller and I couldn't get to my lines if you want some marks that have always been kind to us from Southport to Fleetwood give us a pm

Sounds great pal....how about you show us how it's done? Swap you for a day following hounds on a quad bike ?

• Like 1