What Do You Get Out Of Hunting / Shooting

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As that greatest of all English naturalists "BB" Denys Watkins pitchford said, it is so much more enjoyable observing nature with a gun in one's hand, I like to think that although our practices are r

So sorry to hear of your loss Mitch. My condolences dear fellow.   For me it's not the kill that gets me out but the moments of solitude in beautiful country, fresh air and the things you see when

I wouldn't have written what I did if I didn't mean it abarrett. I can safely take it then for you, the countryside is really little other but a killing ground and you are only there to shoot everyth

Posted Images

Decker i would love to have a go at some thing like that

Just makes me wonder how many start with air rifles and progress to bullet rifles

your lucky not to have No , no it alls at your club

i just start p*ssing my self laughing when some of them start on about shooting a rabbit at 150+ yards with a sub 12 rifle

im not saying it can not be done but i think it would have to be a fac air gun and not a sub 12

and why do they all ways turn up in full camo

some times there is more camo at the range than the British army lol

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I go to Bisley now and then. Last Tuesday was the last time. They've got some great electronic targets there now, so you don't have to get up to change your target or see where your shot went as the whole string of 10 is recorded. :thumbs: If only someone would carry me from the car to the shooting point it would be perfect. :laugh: We spent a couple of hours on the 200 yard range zeroing our stuff.

Most people I've met there are sound, but there are some hideous anoraks too, like in any walk of life I guess. And the guy who told me he shot rabbits with his 22lr and subs at 200 yards. :yes:

Well it seems that a few of us use our shooting as a stress release, which is what I was thinking, I've had a bit time off work so,I haven't had the stress of work to escape , I'm away back to work on Tuesday, so maybe that aspect may return to my mind.

• Like 1

There has been things written about shooting and helping mental issues and stress and ever body said it defiantly a big help . I found if i had a stress full day ,then went out water skying everything was forgotten same as when i got back into shooting .

It doesn't mater what hobby you do ,at some point you will think " Iam not enjoying this as much as I us to do" , best to take a break then come back and see what you think again

What ever you do ,just enjoy it , after having two friends die in the last three weeks at the age of 49 and 52, we never know what is round the corner :thumbs:

• Like 7

There has been things written about shooting and helping mental issues and stress and ever body said it defiantly a big help . I found if i had a stress full day ,then went out water skying everything was forgotten same as when i got back into shooting .

It doesn't mater what hobby you do ,at some point you will think " Iam not enjoying this as much as I us to do" , best to take a break then come back and see what you think again

What ever you do ,just enjoy it , after having two friends die in the last three weeks at the age of 49 and 52, we never know what is round the corner :thumbs:

Spot on :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

So sorry to hear of your loss Mitch. My condolences dear fellow.

For me it's not the kill that gets me out but the moments of solitude in beautiful country, fresh air and the things you see when you are still and quiet. I've had deer come within yards away. Badgers out and about. I found one fast asleep in afternoon sunshine once. He was just snoozing away peacefully just under a bush at the side of a Hawthorn hedgerow. He had a lovely stripe over his head. It's marvelous to see things like that when you are out. And it's the sun setting on the fields and forest, the scents and smells of the ripening crops, of wild garlic in the hedgrows, herbs...I love all of it.

I've known some fellows to barely contain themselves at the sight of a rabbit nibbling a bit of grass, not doing any harm to anyone. And they are just itching to get out of the car and get set up. Okay, fair enough if that's how they want it. But not for me.

I've found as I'm getting older, I have less desire to shoot at a living creature but, take a great pride in my shooting accuracy in doing it better, more accurately and more humanely than anyone else can around my way. I'd rather do the job than see it go to someone else, who will probably have a shit-cheap plinker of an air rifle and cheapy scope and wound the thing with a body shot than have the chops to take a decisive precision shot on its head and brain centre.

Rats are another matter and never a shot wasted on those things.

Then there's a flip side...There is something deeply, unpleasantly distasteful about seeing a 4x4 at night with bunch of pissed up moronic arses taking pot shots with a shotgun or rimfire and a spotlamp, at rabbits, muntjac deer or anything else they see, from the roadside, wounding it and just pissing off to find some other place leaving the poor thing to die slowly. That's not even worthy of poaching. I once shot a Muntjac through the head that had been left with a hole in her side and blood pouring out of her mouth and nose. This crew just shot it and drove off fast when they saw my headlights, presumably in case I was a cop.

That I hate more than anything. Detestable, despicable b@stards!

But those scum aside, I realise I am not getting any younger and a day may come when I cannot do this anymore. Like my dad now. He loved and lived for shooting but, now at 90 years old he's too frail to do anything.

So, I make the most of this life I have and you all should do the same. Like Mitch says Just enjoy it, We never know what's around the corner.

All the best.

Simon

• Like 11

Left the airgun scene a while back.. and returned 20+ years later!

Filled those year's in though with fishing, long netting, lurchers and ferreting.

Even as a wee lad at school I'd be out fishing and setting snares instead of joining in with the popular gang playing football/rugby and suchlike..it certainly didn't make me one of the gang but i enjoyed it..just me and surrounded by bird's, animals, streams and trees.

Old fashioned and a loner at heart I've been told..well maybe?

Or maybe i just feel more at home with just me and nature for company..

• Like 4

If you wanna be happy for a month, get married, if you wanna be happy for a week go on a drunk, if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, learn to hunt , fish and go to whore houses but don't tell the wife :laugh: :laugh: :thumbs:

• Like 2

Mmmm :hmm:a little bit more powerful than my .177 and .22 air rifles then :laugh: .

1,000 yards is great marksmanship, but is not exactly the "Field Craft" air gun hunters have to attain.

"What ever floats your boat" i suppose.

( figures,- it did say 1000 yards didn`t it ?)

atb

Dont worry Mark, not a scratch on ya 100... and we all know it :)

• Like 1

shooting and fishing pretty much go hand in hand but throwing the gun in the car is a lot faster than finding bait and setting up!

its nice to escape for an hour or so after a noisy day on a site.

if I'm not going to eat it i won't shoot it or fishing wise it goes back!!

and its better than sitting in the pub with di@kheads

• Like 1

Mmmm :hmm: a little bit more powerful than my .177 and .22 air rifles then :laugh: .

1,000 yards is great marksmanship, but is not exactly the "Field Craft" air gun hunters have to attain.

"What ever floats your boat" i suppose.

( figures,- it did say 1000 yards didn`t it ?)

atb

Yep 1000, bit outside air rifles but it shows what can be done.

This is what it looks like...

attachicon.gif20140830_135034a.jpg

Centre of picture enlarged to show targets, grainy sadly, but it is a long way!

attachicon.gif20140830_135034crop.jpg

I don't know.......38 mildot holdover and a good 150 yards left judging by the way the flags are blowing, you may get close.?
  • Like 2