hard terriers

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

A hard dog may only be useful in some places but without hard dogs to breed from you would end up with no good terriers down the line

:thumbs: Places where hard dogs are needed, I would take hard dog or a bayer as long as they stay till the job is done, and as said before, stuff that dosnt want to be dug will not be dug with a bayer. If I had the chance to pick how a dog worked it would be one that bayed but would always be willing to put in that wee bit extra when needed, I wouldnt call that a bayer though

You are wrong.............. seen many an undiggable beast be tamed by a good strong bayer. Just because a dog shows his quarry respect does not mean he is soft he just knows how to work properly. Dogs that let stuff past regularly when the pressure is on are not good baying terriers either. The only time i can see a HARD dog getting you a result faster than with a digging dog is in a very shallow place with few stop ends and he would hold it till dug mid tube. But a good steady dog in the same place would still get you the result might take a little longer but whats the rush the mark of a dog is time to ground IMO not just a head count.

• Like 4

A hard dog may only be useful in some places but without hard dogs to breed from you would end up with no good terriers down the line

:thumbs: Places where hard dogs are needed, I would take hard dog or a bayer as long as they stay till the job is done, and as said before, stuff that dosnt want to be dug will not be dug with a bayer. If I had the chance to pick how a dog worked it would be one that bayed but would always be willing to put in that wee bit extra when needed, I wouldnt call that a bayer though

You are wrong.............. seen many an undiggable beast be tamed by a good strong bayer. Just because a dog shows his quarry respect does not mean he is soft he just knows how to work properly. Dogs that let stuff past regularly when the pressure is on are not good baying terriers either. The only time i can see a HARD dog getting you a result faster than with a digging dog is in a very shallow place with few stop ends and he would hold it till dug mid tube. But a good steady dog in the same place would still get you the result might take a little longer but whats the rush the mark of a dog is time to ground IMO not just a head count.

I know what your saying there but I think you picked me up wrong, to me a bayer is a dog that will only ever bay, will be pushed about without ever making contact, and you would never know just how hard the dog would have to work to get the result as all it will ever do is bark when the quarry wants to sit an listen to it. If it fails then you replace the dog with one that will bay but be willing to stay when the quarry trys to push and dosnt really have to do too much more to get the result, thats not a bayer in my mind just a dog that uses his head. Suppose it just down to what you think a bayer is.

I know what your saying there but I think you picked me up wrong, to me a bayer is a dog that will only ever bay, will be pushed about without ever making contact, and you would never know just how hard the dog would have to work to get the result as all it will ever do is bark when the quarry wants to sit an listen to it. If it fails then you replace the dog with one that will bay but be willing to stay when the quarry trys to push and dosnt really have to do too much more to get the result, thats not a bayer in my mind just a dog that uses his head. Suppose it just down to what you think a bayer is.

OK fella ;) But that to me is a cull not a bayer.

OK fella ;) But that to me is a cull not a bayer.

:thumbs:

PS empty your out box mate tryed to PM you

Edited by lukey
Guest busterdog

Butler i like the way you think, I've got one bitch in this yard thats as dull as two fish, i don't work her often and cringe when i put her in the ground. I lost a dog a few years back that was seven years old, i lost him while we were still in cubbing "pre ban" when i phoned my digging partner of the time he went off phone and came back to tell me that i'de dug fifty five with him so far that season, he never got knocked up and in the five good years work i had with him he'd only lost one tooth. Hard dogs may have their uses but in the long run i'de sooner have my bayers, hard dogs only impress idiots and kids.

whats all your veiws on this thares lads all over the place that seem to think hard terriers are better terriers :doh: i think its just stupid whats the point of haveing a terrier that can only be worked 1 every 2 to 3 month when you can have a baying terrier that can be worked 3 to 4 times a week well to me i would rather have the baying dog myself :thumbs: i have a old terrier dog thats 8 and he has done a fair amount of graft over the years but folk seem to think becouse hes not got chunks missing here and thare they dont beleve he works this used to piss me off but now a just dont give a shit as i no myself he works and has been a good littel dog for me over the years :thumbs:

HARD DOGS NO NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING HAVE YOU NOT READ THE HUNTING WITH DOGS ACT / TERRIER WORK IN THE PROTECTION

OF GAMEBIRDS :thumbs: