SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

7 hours ago, Glyn..... said:

Have you had your terriers tested for canine herps one of the most common causes of fading pups, (but not the only one)

No Glyn, didn't even know there was such a test, I'll be sure to ask

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tank, 3 years old

Just got him out, just over 8 hours...... home bath, pjs on then bed.....

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, dillydog said:

No Glyn, didn't even know there was such a test, I'll be sure to ask

If it is herpes ask your vet about Eurican Herpes 205 Vaccine its given to the bitch during pregnancy she then produces antibodies which passes to the pups via the placenta which then  keeps them safe during their first month after which their own antibodies kick in 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 6
7 minutes ago, Glyn..... said:

If it is herpes ask your vet about Eurican Herpes 205 Vaccine its given to the bitch during pregnancy she then produces antibodies which passes to the pups via the placenta which then  keeps them safe during their first month after which their own antibodies kick in 

Both myself and my buddy used it and got mixed results across several litters... It by no means guarantees a healthy litter. On the whole I'd agree it's worth a try just don't get your hopes up...

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Evil knievil said:

Both myself and my buddy used it and got mixed results across several litters... It by no means guarantees a healthy litter. On the whole I'd agree it's worth a try just don't get your hopes up...

I've never had to use it but a mate of mine used it with his lab who failed to rear two litters he used this got a healthy litter of 7  pups , but there again labs are not as tightly bred as most working terriers, so maybe in/line breeding coupled with herps is the deciding factor 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Would maybe giving the dam and sire a little course of antibiotics before lining them,not help? had a  patt bitch that would catch then lose them around 40 days in, happened twice  3rd time I gave her a course and she went full term...gave birth to pups,but put a hole in the tops of their heads and killed them all second day in?

Done the course of antibiotics with the bitch I mentioned on the advice from a vet but it didn't help, I'm not saying it doesn't help but that it didn't in our case. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Done the course of antibiotics with the bitch I mentioned on the advice from a vet but it didn't help, I'm not saying it doesn't help but that it didn't in our case. 

Done that too... Again mixed results over several litters! In conjunction with and without the Eurican .... 

Edited by Evil knievil
  • Like 2