SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tank, 3 years old

Just got him out, just over 8 hours...... home bath, pjs on then bed.....

Posted Images

Should never pull a dog by the tail, it's connected to the base of its spine, also connected to mussels that can be pulled or torn, if you can get your hand in as far as its tail then you should be able to get your hand in under it to grab both legs and remove gently, have a bit of sense lads.

Mary I can assure you pulling my dogs tail is nothing compared to what is sometimes happening on the other end! As I said no harm has come to my dogs at this particular end ever

fair enough, but just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen, it's definitely not something I'd encourage or condone.

I appreciate what you are saying mary but you can't teach an old dog and all that! Sometimes they are so wound up they wouldn't notice if you stuck your finger up their a**e (not that I would do that lol). GOOD HUNTING

Finger rape, every dogs worst nightmare.
  • Like 3

Now that brought back a nasty memory, the first terrier I picked up by the tail ( thinking I'd give it a try at 15 years old) I stuck my thumb right in his glory hole !

Word of advice, don't grip them with your thumb on the down side and don't hold out at arms length lol

• Like 4

Should never pull a dog by the tail, it's connected to the base of its spine, also connected to mussels that can be pulled or torn, if you can get your hand in as far as its tail then you should be able to get your hand in under it to grab both legs and remove gently, have a bit of sense lads.

sound advice mary... the dogs tail is connected to is spine plus its back legs & femur bones very important for the terriers thrust, its main driving muscle..

a terrier digs with their front legs and pushes through with its back legs... a terriers tail has never been docked for a handful or the show brigade, its been done for century's for the welfare of the terrier...

so it doesn't get tail sore wagging its tail doing the job a terrier loves in very confined spaces most of its working career..

if you open a hole correctly there is no need to grab for the terriers tail. just back fill behind the tail... chip around the dogs back and head, shovel in and lift terrier.

• Like 1

The majority of working terrier lads utilise the terriers tail to lift,move or secure a terrier,if you can reach the tail of a terrier in a dig id not be rummaging around for a better hold,using the tail as leverage to secure a better hold is standard practice,using force on a tail and id concur with you Mary.

• Like 1

sound advice mary... the dogs tail is connected to is spine plus its back legs & femur bones very important for the terriers thrust, its main driving muscle..

a terrier digs with their front legs and pushes through with its back legs... a terriers tail has never been docked for a handful or the show brigade, its been done for century's for the welfare of the terrier...

so it doesn't get tail sore wagging its tail doing the job a terrier loves in very confined spaces most of its working career..

if you open a hole correctly there is no need to grab for the terriers tail. just back fill behind the tail... chip around the dogs back and head, shovel in and lift terrier.

Are you telling us that the real reason a terriers tail is docked is so when he's wagging his tail underground he doesn't hurt it ?

• Like 2

Now that brought back a nasty memory, the first terrier I picked up by the tail ( thinking I'd give it a try at 15 years old) I stuck my thumb right in his glory hole !

Word of advice, don't grip them with your thumb on the down side and don't hold out at arms th lol

Hope yer wet yer thumb first Dillydog
  • Like 1