10 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

If someone wants to add more speed to a line of bull blooded dogs, but doesn’t want to add saluki which is totally understandable if you don’t like that kind of dog, then going back to a greyhound or heavily greyhound influenced lurcher is really the only way. Saluki blood can bring a lot to the table but it can bring a lot of negatives as well so I can see why some people wouldn’t want to risk adding it to their dogs

Bang on I have never had or wanted it in my dogs, each to their own its just not for me.

• Like 2

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morty, a filth generation lamper he tracked 7 cwd and a munty single handed during the day in January. Not to bad considering it was his first daytime jaunt out.   

Another of Maurice, tracked this and put it on the deck single handed in the middle of a field without the aid of fence or ditch, we got there it saw us panicked and full of adrenaline it managed to g

More tracking for the shooting clowns 

Posted Images

Alan used to be on here; shame he isn’t now, his input would have been interesting.

His dad raced non-ped whippets at the same tracks as me back a long time ago; I wonder if it influenced Alan’s “need for speed” in a coursing dog ?

Who knows, just a tenuous but interesting connection between whippets and coursing dogs.

Cheers.

Maurice he was just a young dog in this picture he tracked both those bucks on his own, I remember the night well I think it was 2009 . Bess was obviously there but wasn't involved in tracking them she was there for different quarry, she was a regular photo bomber 🥰

SSA40549_zps23111911.jpg

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Was that about 2009?

I can’t remember, it’s from an old iPad that doesn’t seem to show the details like a more modern iPhone.

I had Delta with me and I got her in ‘06 and she was two or three, so it was probably about ‘09.

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, joe ox said:

Bang on I have never had or wanted it in my dogs, each to their own its just not for me.

I’ve got it in my dogs I need the extra wind for some of the work I do with them, but apart from the stamina & the running brain there’s nothing else I like about them. Most of the dogs I’ve seen carrying a lot of saluki blood are happy to run things but lack the urgency to get it over with quickly, and they’re fine when the quarry is running away from them but when they start getting a bit back they don’t like it. Thats just my take on it and that’s a couple of reasons why I only like just enough in my own dogs.

Edited by Deerhunter1

I find when you put coursing dogs into lampers alot of time they start off very well first season unbelievable in there style but then they start missing what they shouldve caught and picking where there grabbing stuff. If its not the tiniest amount of saluki in a lamper i dont want it when it clicks its great but it rarely does

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Deerhunter1 said:

I’ve got it in my dogs I need the extra wind for some of the work I do with them, but apart from the stamina & the running brain there’s nothing else I like about them. The dogs I’ve seen carrying a lot of saluki blood are happy to run things but lack the urgency to get it over with quickly, and they’re fine when the quarry is running away from them but when they start getting a bit back they don’t like it. Thats just my take on it and that’s a couple of reasons why I only like just enough in my own dogs

I have seen some decent dogs with it in their makeup mainly on hare and roe but overall that breed has to many negatives for me and my needs and wants from a dog. A big reason I am not keen is the saluki gene is very dominant so no mater how little saluki is in there when they are bred to something else with a trace in their makeup they seem to throw feathered plodders which doesn't tick any plus box's for what I want and would make the line a dead end for me.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, joe ox said:

I have seen some decent dogs with it in their makeup mainly on hare and roe but overall that breed has to many negatives for me and my needs and wants from a dog. A big reason I am not keen is the saluki gene is very dominant so no mater how little saluki is in there when they are bred to something else with a trace in their makeup they seem to throw feathered plodders which doesn't tick any plus box's for what I want and would make the line a dead end for me.

It is a dominant gene, If you just breed saluki/greyhounds back to each other eventually you’ll end up with more or less a pure saluki which is not for me. I couldn’t do what I like to do without it, but the last thing I want in my dogs is for the saluki gene to come to the forefront, I understand everyone’s different and some people love it but for me I don’t want my dogs looking or acting anything like a saluki. 

Edited by Deerhunter1
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Flacko said:

Seen a few half x bulls catch well enough the ones round me 23tts light built surprise a few how they can run & still game 

Oh absolutely mate I was just using it as an example not trying to accuse all half’s of being too slow just stating to get extra speed a greyhound is usually used to make faster animals 👍🏻

• Like 1
3 hours ago, joe ox said:

Maurice he was just a young dog in this picture he tracked both those bucks on his own, I remember the night well I think it was 2009 . Bess was obviously there but wasn't involved in tracking them she was there for different quarry, she was a regular photo bomber 🥰

SSA40549_zps23111911.jpg

A lovely brace👏

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mC HULL said:

out a likes 

quarter century still same blood can’t knock that 

Kin el, Gooey, you've done nothing but crab the man all throughout this thread.  

Called his dogs scatterbred, cow hocked shit, with no stamina, and called Joe a liar and a jacker.  And more!!

You have more faces than a f***ing kaleidoscope!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While we’re on about lamping Joe, remember these batteries I got off you about 15 years ago ?67CAA22C-2D08-445C-BFBA-A05AA953E5B4.jpeg.270fe99cff77e5eef77e50648c3bf8f2.jpeg

Well, with sensible rotation and trickle charging, I’m still using one of them !

B415179B-2221-4C53-9BC9-39EFDD123540.jpeg.62e00884d610408867b0d67ef0a96d7e.jpeg

None of that fancy Lithium Ion here, old school, me ! (Or some may say tight f****r PMSL).

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Kin el, Gooey, you've done nothing but crab the man all throughout this thread.  

Called his dogs scatterbred, cow hocked shit, with no stamina, and called Joe a liar and a jacker.  And more!!

You have more faces than a f***ing kaleidoscope!!!

I’m sure he’d disagree, it’s just what he does! LOL 

I’ve seen plenty who just go against the grain for no apparent reason. It used to confuse me but it’s easier to just laugh 

• Like 1