RSPB Big Bird Watch.

Anyone else doing it this year ?

Ive always thought it was a bad time of year for it, but still do it, what with all the migratory birds still away. Surely the summer would be a better time ?

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Ive always thought it was a bad time of year for it, but still do it, what with all the migratory birds still away. Surely the summer would be a better time ?

Cheers.

But Cwiss Knows better. Lol

It would make sense . Its like that Merlin bird app i very rarely turn it on now in the winter months and only used it once recently to identify the large charm of linnets i came across feeding on some set aside.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Not if you want to find nothing and carry on the lie we have killed everything with our diesel cars, used to do it for years but not for a few years plus I don’t have a garden as such any more 

1 minute ago, Arry said:

Yeah will do it. Loads of Greenfinches and Goldfinches at the moment.

Cheers Arry

Nice to hear that mate greenies used to be the most prolific finch’s along with chaffinch around here but seem a lot less now see one or two a year unfortunately but goldies in huge flocks 

• Like 1

I just like watching birds myself don’t feel the need to register a thing or join a study group all wildlife thrives on neglect the more we try to get involved the more we feck it up, some of my best British spots are a pied fly catcher, red fronted grebe a lamaguire vulture and recently an osprey though at a bit of a distance  and we had a long eared owl around for a couple of weeks last year which was nice, the osprey drew in so many twitchers it ruined the area for a couple of weeks 

• Like 3

Saw the advert for it on TV.... didn't know Africans were big into their bird watching, surprised there wasn't a pair of lesbians with binoculars as well 

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Nice to hear that mate greenies used to be the most prolific finch’s along with chaffinch around here but seem a lot less now see one or two a year unfortunately but goldies in huge flocks 

We have huge numbers of goldfinch here, The same with Tits, Chaffinches have been suffering badly from Scaly leg and other mites over recent years, Greenfinches also appear to be in decline, The green woodpecker is doing well along with the Lesser spotted. Sparrow hawks are less common this year compared to other years and Kestrels are getting rarer every year, Hear Barn owls every night and the odd Tawney, Sparrow's and Starlings appear to be around in the same numbers but in much lower numbers than when i was a kid, I blame plastic soffits and facier boards and well kept roofs. 

8 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

It would make sense . Its like that Merlin bird app i very rarely turn it on now in the winter months and only used it once recently to identify the large charm of linnets i came across feeding on some set aside.

Got that Merlin app in the summer last year and love it. First used it at a wee bit of hawthorn scrub with a ditch running through it. The variety of species was incredible, and I saw probably less than half of what was singing. Not much use for it at this time of year though, although I did confirm the identity of a mistle thrush in the garden last week. Looking forward to using it in the coming months though.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Think I need to have a couple more years with the Larson trap in the garden before I bother counting 😂 

I have an air rifle in the conservatory all the time, still 2 squirrels to go yet Lol, Magpies are not to much of an issue here, ravens are though.