FISHING FOR BLUEFIN TUNA IN ENGLISH WATERS GIVEN GO-AHEAD

On 30/12/2023 at 10:49, mackem said:

I remember reading a book as a kid by a guy called Trevor Housby?He mentioned Mevagissey and took some big tuna there in the 50’s and 60’s?

I bought my mackerel,were the tuna bait-balling them?

was it Dream Fishing by Trevor Housby? that book fired my imagination as a kid, the bloke had some amazing fishing adventures all over the world....I don't remember the Mevagissey chapter in it... but he was a brilliant writer and way before his time in far flung fishing exploits!

• Like 1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They’re an amazing species to fish for, unbelievable power, nothing I’ve hooked into comes anywhere close, it’s a mixture of torture and joy when you finally get one by the side of your boat lol, and

This post about a local boat just popped up on my fb

There are licence already granted I think they have started landing some this week. Think it's just one a day line caught for the  commercial license. Also some licences for tag and release. Inte

Posted Images

Regards the tuna... as the lads have said if you've been out enough around the west coastline you'd have seem them loads, they're everywhere! Will be an amazing industry if done well, people travel all over the world for big game fishing.... its a new market for us... I'm thinking of turning the holiday cottages into fishing lodges and offering day charters for tuna on kayaks...that could be interesting! Lol

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

was it Dream Fishing by Trevor Housby? that book fired my imagination as a kid, the bloke had some amazing fishing adventures all over the world....I don't remember the Mevagissey chapter in it... but he was a brilliant writer and way before his time in far flung fishing exploits!

Might have been mate,it was an old thick book in Sunderland library,I must have read it ten times over,he was into sharks,tuna and maybe huge Nile perch?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mackem said:

Might have been mate,it was an old thick book in Sunderland library,I must have read it ten times over,he was into sharks,tuna and maybe huge Nile perch?

That's the one mate, landing on some small airstrip in Mexico and fishing the beach beside the airfield waiting for a connecting flight, caught a spinner shark off the beach...one of those books I can still picture the stories now, I was about 12 when I first read it.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Regards the tuna... as the lads have said if you've been out enough around the west coastline you'd have seem them loads, they're everywhere! Will be an amazing industry if done well, people travel all over the world for big game fishing.... its a new market for us... I'm thinking of turning the holiday cottages into fishing lodges and offering day charters for tuna on kayaks...that could be interesting! Lol

when you say "its a new market for us", who are "us"

45 minutes ago, paddyluke said:

People who already run charter boats ...be nice to get out and catch something abit more rewarding than dogfish😁 ...should imagine the right boats and skippers could make some decent 💰...would have benefits to tourism and conservation,Id be happy to pay a couple of hundred per man,for the opportunity to catch and release one👍

• Like 1
2 hours ago, paddyluke said:

The UK fishing/charter boat/tourism industry... there are a few boats off the west coast of Ireland been.at it a few years. I don't believe wreck fishing for pollack has the same international appeal as big game fishing for potential 500lb tuna... marketed well and delivered well it would bring new income into areas where once the mad rush of the summer holidays is over almost die... the tuna seem to be hanging around all year now, huge shoals of pilchard and mackerel keep them here, so it could be a year round viable industry, with perhaps a break in breeding/spawning season.. (I've no idea where the tuna spawn so just throwing out my thoughts)

3 hours ago, mackem said:

That guy on YouTube son hooked and lost one about a month back, any recommendations on best time of year and good boats? 

Have a look at the link Arry put up mate 

• Like 1

They’re an amazing species to fish for, unbelievable power, nothing I’ve hooked into comes anywhere close, it’s a mixture of torture and joy when you finally get one by the side of your boat lol, and god help any angler fishing off the shore if you hook into one, I’ve been completely spooled on pretty hefty shark gear out in the Celtic deeps and that was with boat following It too, there was genuinely nothing we could do drag was pretty much upto max and it kept stripping, still gives me sleepless nights now 🤦‍♂️😂, fabulous fish though and I for one hope they stay around our waters for many years to come, tight lines 🎣

IMG_8974.jpeg

IMG_8976.jpeg

IMG_8977.jpeg

IMG_8979.jpeg

IMG_8978.jpeg

IMG_8980.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
On 30/01/2024 at 23:47, Teckers said:

They’re an amazing species to fish for, unbelievable power, nothing I’ve hooked into comes anywhere close, it’s a mixture of torture and joy when you finally get one by the side of your boat lol, and god help any angler fishing off the shore if you hook into one, I’ve been completely spooled on pretty hefty shark gear out in the Celtic deeps and that was with boat following It too, there was genuinely nothing we could do drag was pretty much upto max and it kept stripping, still gives me sleepless nights now 🤦‍♂️😂, fabulous fish though and I for one hope they stay around our waters for many years to come, tight lines 🎣

IMG_8974.jpeg

IMG_8976.jpeg

IMG_8977.jpeg

IMG_8979.jpeg

IMG_8978.jpeg

IMG_8980.jpeg

Pm me the charter boat you went on please mate👍

• Like 2

Sorry chaps late last night and flat out in work all day, I’d recommend September as a good month but believe you can fish up until November for them, weather and swell plays a massive part the calmer the better as you keep an eye for bait balls and birds feeding and that’s where you’ll find them, if it’s choppy it’s hard to see any surface action and it’s harder for the fish to see the spreader bars and lures doing they’re thing, highly recommend Sam narbett who skippers bluefin charters st ives he’s docked in Falmouth for the tuna though, we’ve been with him a few times now can’t fault him tbh, we ve booked a weekend down there again this September, a day with him and a day going out on our own boat weather permitting day after, hold tight haha, another skipper I highly recommend is rob rennie he’s out of Milford haven, mainly sharks we do with rob but he has gear for the tuna too, don’t seem to catch or see as many in the Celtic deeps as you do Cornwall though but they are there, I’ll send you they’re number if your interested chaps both good guys 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1