FISHING FOR BLUEFIN TUNA IN ENGLISH WATERS GIVEN GO-AHEAD

FISHING FOR BLUEFIN TUNA IN ENGLISH WATERS GIVEN GO-AHEAD

In a boost for charter skippers and the industry, recreational anglers have been given the go ahead to fish for Atlantic bluefin tuna in English waters.

Responding to ‘overwhelming’ support for the move, the UK government’s Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) confirmed it will introduce legislation in the spring to establish permitting regimes for anglers to fish for the species on a catch and release basis.

The opening of the fishery has been made possible following the UK’s exit from the European Union. Data from the fishery will be used to improve monitoring of the fishery and follows overwhelming support from the fishing industry and environmental groups.

UK Fisheries Minister, Mark Spencer, said: “This announcement will bring social and economic benefits for the fishing industry and coastal communities while ensuring the ongoing sustainable management of Atlantic bluefin tuna.”

The move follows the success of catch and release tagging programmes which have allowed recreational anglers to target bluefin tuna over the last three years.

Each UK fisheries administration will determine if and when to introduce a bluefin tuna catch and release recreational fishery in its waters. DEFRA intends to open a catch and release fishery in English waters in 2024.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They’re an amazing species to fish for, unbelievable power, nothing I’ve hooked into comes anywhere close, it’s a mixture of torture and joy when you finally get one by the side of your boat lol, and

This post about a local boat just popped up on my fb

There are licence already granted I think they have started landing some this week. Think it's just one a day line caught for the  commercial license. Also some licences for tag and release. Inte

Posted Images

There are licence already granted I think they have started landing some this week. Think it's just one a day line caught for the  commercial license. Also some licences for tag and release.

Interestingly we saw Tuna jumping about 150 yards of Slapton Sands last Sunday while fishing the beach.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
BLOG.THROUGH-THE-GAPS.CO.UK

Fishing industry news and information about fishing vessels, fish suppliers, fresh fish products, marine services, chefs and local artists in Cornwall and beyond

Cheers Arry

On 13/12/2023 at 00:57, South hams hunter said:

Hopefully they remove a few, they're a f***ing pest

Mate done two Conger fishing trips in the last two nights. One at Hopes Nose Torquay where Tuna about 2 foot long were almost under his feet chasing Garfish in the dark. Again in Torbay on another mark quite close to Paignton huge Tuna about right under his feet again breaching. Mate says they are spooking every thing.

Cheers Arry

3 hours ago, Arry said:

Mate done two Conger fishing trips in the last two nights. One at Hopes Nose Torquay where Tuna about 2 foot long were almost under his feet chasing Garfish in the dark. Again in Torbay on another mark quite close to Paignton huge Tuna about right under his feet again breaching. Mate says they are spooking every thing.

Cheers Arry

We had it a few times now; seen them on a mark in Cornwall where the mackerel where bubbling in their thousands and couldn't catch one. 

They're a bigger pain than seals have ever been 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2023 at 11:32, South hams hunter said:

seen them on a mark in Cornwall where the mackerel were bubbling in their thousands and couldn't catch one. 

Out on a boat in the med once and tuna on the surface all around us “Holy shit,I am going to get one tomorrow” I bought trolling lures and tried dead baiting with fresh mackerel for the next few days,saw tuna all of the time but no interest whatsoever,it wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be.

2 hours ago, mackem said:

Out on a boat in the med once and tuna on the surface all around us “Holy shit,I am going to get one tomorrow” I bought trolling lures and tried dead baiting with fresh mackerel for the next few days,saw tuna all of the time but no interest whatsoever,it wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be.

I was out in a boat from Mevagissey September before last, Tuna everywhere.  We were out from 9am until dark and we were the only boat not to land one.

That's fishing eh.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mackem said:

I meant we couldn't catch a mackerel mate; we were 20ft up a cliff, tuna definitely wouldn't have been fun 🤣

9 hours ago, leegreen said:

I was out in a boat from Mevagissey September before last, Tuna everywhere.  We were out from 9am until dark and we were the only boat not to land one.

That's fishing eh.

I remember reading a book as a kid by a guy called Trevor Housby?He mentioned Mevagissey and took some big tuna there in the 50’s and 60’s?

4 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

I meant we couldn't catch a mackerel mate; we were 20ft up a cliff, tuna definitely wouldn't have been fun 🤣

I bought my mackerel,were the tuna bait-balling them?