What career path would you have trod if….

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a very moving funeral yesterday im in a somewhat reflective mood and reading through this topic i realise that through all the if's,but's and maybe's we can only make the best of who and what we

My obsession with dogs and poaching in hindsight was my downfall as a career and job's mostly played second fiddle. The job I wanted on leaving school was working for British Steel as it was good mone

If I never ended up in Borstal at 15...then I would of joined the military like my Dad🙄 I dont have many regrets in life tbf ...the choices I made were all my own...you make your bed you lie in it...

Posted Images

No,not in favour of grammar schools for all the usual left reasons.

Stabbed for trainers?" Where and when did that happen? I would wager a lot of thuggery goes on in the private sector but it is kept from the scrutiny of the press. Middle class crime especially financial crime is generally  well hidden

I don't think my post was particularly politically left. I was just pointing out the inherent unfairness of kids from private school competing on an uneven playing field. This is acknowledged by all sides in the debate and has recently begun to be addressed.  

I'm genuinely  not bothered by  different opinions. None of it is personal. How can it be. Just old guys chewing the fat. I like to know how the "other side" Lol think. I read The Daily Mail and watch GB news and when I am feeling posh I buy the Telegraph or The Times and sit in a pub whilst the boss is shopping.

However,everybody is a prisoner to their background and core beliefs so I will carry on expressing them. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Stabbed for trainers?" Where and when did that happen? I would wager a lot of thuggery goes on in the private sector but it is kept from the scrutiny of the press. Middle class crime especially financial crime is generally  well hidden

I don't think my post was particularly politically left. I was just pointing out the inherent unfairness of kids from private school competing on an uneven playing field. This is acknowledged by all sides in the debate and has recently begun to be addressed.  

I'm genuinely  not bothered by  different opinions. None of it is personal. How can it be. Just old guys chewing the fat. I like to know how the "other side" Lol think. I read The Daily Mail and watch GB news and when I am feeling posh I buy the Telegraph or The Times and sit in a pub whilst the boss is shopping.

However,everybody is a prisoner to their background and core beliefs so I will carry on expressing them. 

from the few i’ve met from private school i get the impression there’s a lot a deviant strange behaviour goes on 

but you need schools in a way it teaches kids social behaviour opens there eyes to how humans are etc 

i just don’t think much education happens in them 

is imagine saudi schools are completely different to ours at least there won’t be any indoctrination on lgbt and all that shit they do here 

31 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Of course it’s unfair ! That’s the reason I want my family to be privately educated , it gives them a head start in an unfair competitive world !

My son wouldn’t have had the career he did without being privately educated at the American International School of the Middle East and being a boarder at Ashby Grammar.

My daughter wouldn’t have had the career she had if she didnt also attend the A.I.S.M.E. and the Cambridge Annex of the Middle East .

I was extremely lucky that the company I worked for payed the fees, or else they would have gone to a comprehensive, I’ll be eternally  thankful for that.

I don’t believe in this “there is no winners or losers” attitude pervading the education system, we are not all equal and the most capable should be recognised, not held back to the lowest common denominator.

But then again, I’m probably to the right of Maggie Thatcher in my political leanings ! LOL !

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Of course it’s unfair ! That’s the reason I want my family to be privately educated , it gives them a head start in an unfair competitive world !

My son wouldn’t have had the career he did without being privately educated at the American International School of the Middle East and being a boarder at Ashby Grammar.

My daughter wouldn’t have had the career she had if she didnt also attend the A.I.S.M.E. and the Cambridge Annex of the Middle East .

I was extremely lucky that the company I worked for payed the fees, or else they would have gone to a comprehensive, I’ll be externally thankful for that.

I don’t believe in this “there is no winners or losers” attitude pervading the education system, we are not all equal and the most capable should be recognised, not held back to the lowest common denominator.

But then again, I’m probably to the right of Maggie Thatcher in my political leanings ! LOL !

Cheers.

Don't agree. Life is unfair but those things we can change to stop inherent unfairness should be done.

The buzzword in the sixties was   'meritocracy'. And I agree with that.

At the moment we have a deeply divided society created by rigid class barriers founded on the public school system.

It's not like that in other European advanced economies,especially  the Nordic countries where social class is not such a big deal and there aren't such divisions between haves and have nots.These divisions spill over into health,housing and even longevity. It's victorian. We need to learn from other more progressive countries. At the moment it's the public school elite who do the hiring and firing in the UK. They hire people who are carbon copies of themselves. And so it goes on.

Viva la revolution! 

3 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Don't agree. Life is unfair but those things we can change to stop inherent unfairness should be done.

The buzzword in the sixties was   'meritocracy'. And I agree with that.

At the moment we have a deeply divided society created by rigid class barriers founded on the public school system.

It's not like that in other European advanced economies,especially  the Nordic countries where social class is not such a big deal and there aren't such divisions between haves and have nots.These divisions spill over into health,housing and even longevity. It's victorian. We need to learn from other more progressive countries. At the moment it's the public school elite who do the hiring and firing in the UK. They hire people who are carbon copies of themselves. And so it goes on.

Viva la revolution! 

Err…..Just two examples;

Just have “Sorbonne”on your resume in France;

Or “Ivy League “ on your resume in America,

and see how your life’s chances increase.

Every country in the world has their “elites” , “educated class” , “ruling class”.

The British class system is entrenched but by no means unique, have a look at the Indian caste system.

Cheers.

Just now, chartpolski said:

Err…..Just two examples;

Just have “Sorbonne”on your resume in France;

Or “Ivy League “ on your resume in America,

and see how your life’s chances increase.

Every country in the world has their “elites” , “educated class” , “ruling class”.

The British class system is entrenched but by no means unique, have a look at the Indian caste system.

Cheers.

True about The Sourbonne and the Ivy league unis. India is a very backward country .

But I still maintain there is more entrenched class bias in the UK than in France and the States.

I was reading today that even when doing the same jobs for the same employer people from working class backgrounds earn on average 6 grand less. That can only be snobbery based on background, accent and class origin.

You can't in fairness,legislate for the abolition of the public school system but you could broaden out their inclusivity and open them up to all kids on merit if parents want them to go such an institution . I am all for free schools where parents decide what the curriculum should consist of. And I am very enthusiastic about equalling out the status of apprenticeships and degrees. Germany has it right in that regard from what I've read.I am dead against tax breaks for public schools which mean Joe Ordinary helps fund the education of a privileged elite.

Think I'm all done now mate

We both know how the other will retort so goodnight. I'm off to watch the darts. Goodnight. I will have a look at your reply in the morning but probably let it die. Unless you write something truly outrageous! Lol.

1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

f**k me, for a boy from Salford you’ve led a sheltered life mate !…..spades were doing people in for their clothes down Lewisham in 1984 never mind today ! Lol 

As far as schools go and the school system, there isn’t any right or wrong……what fits and what makes you happy is what works.

Theres always going to be guvnors and workers, if everyone could do clever things then they would be doing it…..the world needs poets and dreamers and dustmen and bankers and everything in between !

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

True about The Sourbonne and the Ivy league unis. India is a very backward country .

But I still maintain there is more entrenched class bias in the UK than in France and the States.

I was reading today that even when doing the same jobs for the same employer people from working class backgrounds earn on average 6 grand less. That can only be snobbery based on background, accent and class origin.

You can't in fairness,legislate for the abolition of the public school system but you could broaden out their inclusivity and open them up to all kids on merit if parents want them to go such an institution . I am all for free schools where parents decide what the curriculum should consist of. And I am very enthusiastic about equalling out the status of apprenticeships and degrees. Germany has it right in that regard from what I've read.I am dead against tax breaks for public schools which mean Joe Ordinary helps fund the education of a privileged elite.

Think I'm all done now mate

We both know how the other will retort so goodnight. I'm off to watch the darts. Goodnight. I will have a look at your reply in the morning but probably let it die. Unless you write something truly outrageous! Lol.

Just a little first hand true story;

My younger brother has recently retired after 45 years working for the local council. He was Health & Safety Manager and Union Convenor.

He has a visceral hatred of Thatcher, the Tory’s, indeed anyone even slightly to the right of Corbyn !

Yet when Thatcher allowed  the sale of council houses, he leapt at the chance and bought his at a massive discount.

When he has one of his periodic far left diatribes, I gently remind him of this. 
His reasoning, and he genuinely believes it, is that he can leave the house to his two kids to give them a head start in buying there own, he sees absolutely no contradiction in this and his political beliefs!

The primordial belief in protecting his childrens future completely outweighs his political dogma.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 2

Been in the building trade from age of 15, served my time as a joiner, left school or was told to leave school for showing little interest, truancy and generally being a fcukin pest. Dogs ferrets, poaching and birds eggs were my downfalls (especially peregrines lol). Could make more 2 nights on the salmon than I had for a wage fir a week. Regrets very few all I've done was off my own back, so when I got away with it it was great, when caught well that was that lol. With 3 kids and the building trade being classed as casual labour a mortgage was always out my reach, also the fear of 3 kids and no work and having to make ends meet we stayed in rented accommodation. Hindsight is a great thing I've never been out of work raised my kids to the best of my ability to be decent people and am really proud of them. Bought and paid for 2 properties and had a great life so far. Plenty memories of days with dogs, ferrets and poaching and most of all family. Retirement on the horizon so hopefully plenty time left in me to enjoy what I've done all my life.

• Like 9
1 minute ago, chartpolski said:

Just a little first hand true story;

My younger brother has recently retired after 45 years working for the local council. He was Health & Safety Manager and Union Convenor.

He has a visceral hatred of Thatcher, the Tory’s, indeed anyone even slightly to the right of Corbyn !

Yet when Thatcher allowed  the sale of council houses, le leapt at the chance and bought his at a massive discount.

When he has one of his periodic far left diatribes, I gently remind him of this. 
His reasoning, and he genuinely believes it, is that he can leave the house to his two kids to give them a head start in buying there own, he sees absolutely no contradiction in this and his political beliefs!

The primordial belief in protecting his childrens future completely outweighs his political dogma.

Cheers.

Another little story, 

I had a lad work for me called Bradley…...well, actually he worked for a lad that worked for me but it amounted to the same thing.

This lad was as thick as shit !!……I don’t mean a little bit divvy, I mean this lad was boarder-line retarded !!

You could have slapped this lad into Eaton, Oxford, Yale and Harvard and given him Albert Einstein as his personal tutor and he would have still took his own eye out with a pencil !

He has progressed and is a dustman now and fair play to him, that’s way more than anyone could have ever expected and probably what he will do until the day he retires…..nothing wrong with that, the world needs dustmen too……point is, you can cry about equal opportunity till the cows come home but some lads are just born to be Bradley ! 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Qbgrey said:

Problem is you do all this graft then when it comes to slowing down and spending a bit on holidays etc I start to think I’m bieng selfish and when I’m underground the kids should get my hard earned . 

You can earn as much as you like, you can be the richest man on earth but you can’t buy 5 minutes ago mate…..kids don’t remember money, they remember their dad.

I made that choice 22 years ago and I don’t regret it one bit…..I was happier watching sports day or having my ears broken at a recorder recital than having to listen to some wretch tell me how important their project was and earning a grand. 
Im not saying everyone should be like that, it’s just how I thought.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, chartpolski said:

The two bosses I mentioned were in the UK , the first one insisted I did one day release and one night class in mechanical engineering and one day release and one night class in electrical engineering when I was an apprentice.

The second boss was when I’d served my time and he must have seen something as he sent me on all sorts of courses, one of which was to Smiths Industries at the beginning of the tachograph era to learn how to fit and calibrate them and also put me through the HGV class 1 and PSV  test so I could “prove” the installation.

After that he moved me to the R&D department of their hydraulic subsidiary were I put the design labs drawings into working models . It helped that I could understand blue prints and technical drawings and visualise them in 3d.

I absolutely loved working for that company, but the pay was crap and with a new wife and child I left to work abroad with their blessing and a letter saying I could have my job back if it didn’t work out.

So that was the “luck” part; if it wasn’t for those two bosses having faith in me, who knows how it may have ended up ?

Cheers.

I think you probably prove the saying " The harder you work  the "luckier" you get."

I guess l was "lucky" through circumstances though. 

I stayed-on in 6th form not because l liked school or was particularly  bright   but because l had no idea about what sort of job l wanted.

When the day came to leave I threw myself on the mercy of the Youth Job Centre who told me to go for interviews at a couple of local engineering companies. They sent all the boys to these two companies and the girls were all guided to shop work of nursing.

I didn't fancy it so went to the proper Employment Agency and was offered four interviews in the same morning( those were the days!)

Tesco took one look at me and said all the vacancies were filled. Maybe they didn't  think someone who looked like a roadie for Black Sabbath would look good on the shop floor   because they took on a mate a day later. Then again he was what we called a "Smooth" so smart dress and smelling nice were second nature to him😁

I was offered all three other jobs on the spot, Halfords, an electric circuit company and a in jewellery workshop.

No contest , the jewellers won hands down. Many happy  and mad years  later redundancy struck. Workmates who stuck with the trade are all richer than me but being a single parent by then l needed something more flexible 

Through casual Landscaping  ,fencing , treework and beating on shoots l kept in the black. The latter led me to a local Keeper's job. Sadly the Shoot closed and l couldn't  progress by moving away to find something similar because of my SP status which relied on having help from two sets of Grandparents.

In hindsight either of the two careers would have kept me happy and just maybe l could've  been a bit more ambitious.  But l don't have any regrets. 

Running a small shoot and going back to casual outdoor labour and doing a few market stalls when l had gathered enough interesting rubbish to sell kept me going until l fell into pest control

Pretty much l've played at work most of my life so have no complaints . Except l really should've  started some private  pension payments  sooner. Such things just don't  seem relevant when you're young😁

Edited by comanche
  • Like 8