Kennel renovation

13 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

I may yet incorporate it into the plan ,I'll see what we do,...it's good to get pointers and opinions ,putting the heater at floor level could happen too

It's putting it at floor level but also trying to stop the dogs covering it with bedding etc I think mate..as dc said a raised floor sounds like a good idea..and maybe put a thin ply floor above it etc..so essentially it will have a heated floor in the the box..

• Like 3

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get tougher dogs ! 

I have some footage I took at 4500 metres,I was going up to a sky burial site in Bhutan,I had a guide as your not allowed anywhere in the country without one,I was narrating where I was going and I am

I know a fella who's mid 70s goes foxing twice a week beating twice a week n stalking once a week his mam died in her 50s n dad not long after n as he keeps reminding me he's still shagging a few time

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, king said:

It's putting it at floor level but also trying to stop the dogs covering it with bedding etc I think mate..as dc said a raised floor sounds like a good idea..and maybe put a thin ply floor above it etc..so essentially it will have a heated floor in the the box..

Why not just use a normal type heat lamp. I've got 2 red bulb lamps hanging from bracket in the kennel, it gives of enough heat, as dogs will flat out, they don't curl up, like most dog  when there cold 

All heat is supposed to do, is take chill out of the air, and keep comfortable at  room temperature, they haven't got to be to hot, unless there skinny type whippet with thin coat lol, get a dog with thick coat. Old Buck got great coat. Don't feel the cold. But he 11 so put lamp on now, if forecast frost next day. 👍

• Like 1

Probably a daft question but has anyone used something like Kingsland in there dogs bed as a layer under there bedding?

Only problem I can see with that is when they go back in there beds after being out n make scratch n make a nest in the straw especially my spaniels ie it would soon end up in bits🤔

9 minutes ago, dodger said:

Probably a daft question but has anyone used something like Kingsland in there dogs bed as a layer under there bedding?

Only problem I can see with that is when they go back in there beds after being out n make scratch n make a nest in the straw especially my spaniels ie it would soon end up in bits🤔

My kennel is lined wae 25mm Kingspan and a layer of 50mm under the ply on their beds to stop them scratching, along with the heater they want for nothing

Edited by brambles
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, brambles said:

My kennel is lined wae 25mm Kingspan and a layer of 50mm under the ply on their beds to stop them scratching, along with the heater they want for nothing

Sounds great that..

I use them raised pallet boxes that they use in warehouses n fill them with straw so just thinking what else I can do for them after reading this thread👍

6 hours ago, bird said:

Why not just use a normal type heat lamp. I've got 2 red bulb lamps hanging from bracket in the kennel, it gives of enough heat, as dogs will flat out, they don't curl up, like most dog  when there cold 

All heat is supposed to do, is take chill out of the air, and keep comfortable at  room temperature, they haven't got to be to hot, unless there skinny type whippet with thin coat lol, get a dog with thick coat. Old Buck got great coat. Don't feel the cold. But he 11 so put lamp on now, if forecast frost next day. 👍

I'm not sure what size Box jigsaw is using mate..a heat lamp would need a Box with a High ceiling..

8 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Fixing them on the floor under a raised sleeping  area would be more beneficial imo👍

Thats what I was getting at mate when I said I thought fixing them in the top would be a waste.Under the floor or low down the heat will rise and the dog will get more benefit.Same as when using a heat mat/pad

• Like 2
6 hours ago, bird said:

Expensive to run compared to a tube.Especially with energy prices these days mate

• Like 2
19 hours ago, dodger said:

my kennel and beds are made from kingspan mate the panels 3CC2F473-C38C-4A71-9ED2-C8DBD5DBA2FB.png.560264f7a08f58b777adf6096f9c5ac4.png

• Like 2
7 hours ago, mC HULL said:

my kennel and beds are made from kingspan mate the panels 3CC2F473-C38C-4A71-9ED2-C8DBD5DBA2FB.png.560264f7a08f58b777adf6096f9c5ac4.png

I use those I infilled a area with an large overhang on a roof made 2 walls at full height, then a raised box out of it as well then a 1 metre area internally then a wooden door with square hole into a fenced outside kennel run . Put a high level heat lamp into the top of box and put loads of covers, duvets in box.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, king said:

I'm not sure what size Box jigsaw is using mate..a heat lamp would need a Box with a High ceiling..

I'm governed by my kennel size ,which is 7ftx 7ft so I can't have a very large box as it will take up too much room ,the boxes are going to be 2.5 ft cubes,..they are in 3 ft boxes at the minute,so I'm just creating a little bit more space whilst having the boxes up off the ground....I've had a bulb blow on me one time so I prefer the tubes,and miles cheaper to run

• Like 1