Blacksmith Forge

Lads looking for some advise on a blacksmith forge for a beginner. Always wanted to give it a go, and literally starting out with nothing, bar a couple of hammers. 

First off, I'm looking at a forge. Something not very expensive, and small enough, that I can move in and out of the shed. So, it's either small coal forge, propane forge, or homemade forge. Anyone here into blacksmithing, with any suggestions on what I would be best getting?

Few examples below of what I've found so far. Are any of them any good, or just pure sh*te? I know you get what you pay for, but I just dont have the money to get a proper one

Screenshot_20231105_193451_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20231105_193515_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 3 forges, none of them cost me any money. Just a bit of time. If you don't have access to recycled/ scrap steel and fire bricks then it will cost you the price of materials. For quick bits

Little project in forge welding chain HERE

There is rumoured to be a maker of steel death on the forum .    it is said , by the people of the plains , that his axes sing as they swing through the air , that the fiercest armour cannot pr

Posted Images

11 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Lads looking for some advise on a blacksmith forge for a beginner. Always wanted to give it a go, and literally starting out with nothing, bar a couple of hammers. 

First off, I'm looking at a forge. Something not very expensive, and small enough, that I can move in and out of the shed. So, it's either small coal forge, propane forge, or homemade forge. Anyone here into blacksmithing, with any suggestions on what I would be best getting?

Few examples below of what I've found so far. Are any of them any good, or just pure sh*te? I know you get what you pay for, but I just dont have the money to get a proper one

Screenshot_20231105_193451_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20231105_193515_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Gutted. I tried for years to re home my dad's black smithing tools, nobody wanted them. In the end I weighed em in for scrap. You could of had the lot. 

There is rumoured to be a maker of steel death on the forum . 

it is said , by the people of the plains , that his axes sing as they swing through the air , that the fiercest armour cannot prevent his swords striking like an iron viper , that his arrowheads are like ravens of steel and take the souls of those in their path . 

You don’t find him , he finds you, however if desperate , you must sacrifice a white stag on the stroke of the hallows eve and whisper three times into a mirror whilst wearing red cords 

“socks , socks , socks “ 

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

Gutted. I tried for years to re home my dad's black smithing tools, nobody wanted them. In the end I weighed em in for scrap. You could of had the lot. 

Ain't it always the way. Thanks for the thought. Appreciate it 👍

I've got one of the cheap single burner propane forges . I bought it about four years ago, with the intention of making knives ( I just wanted to play with a forge really). I made a few knives to begin with( I scratched that itch), and now it sits in the corner of my garden , and just gets used for the odd job . Last week I used it to manipulate a piece of 6mm steel , to make a hanging bracket for steel fencing . I paid less than £100 for it , and it's payed for itself several times over.  I keep thinking that I'll put doors on it , to make it more efficient,  but it's never really needed them , so I've just never gotten around to it.

20231106_102305.jpg

20231106_102256.jpg

20231106_102246.jpg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, mel b said:

I've got one of the cheap single burner propane forges . I bought it about four years ago, with the intention of making knives ( I just wanted to play with a forge really). I made a few knives to begin with( I scratched that itch), and now it sits in the corner of my garden , and just gets used for the odd job . Last week I used it to manipulate a piece of 6mm steel , to make a hanging bracket for steel fencing . I paid less than £100 for it , and it's payed for itself several times over.  I keep thinking that I'll put doors on it , to make it more efficient,  but it's never really needed them , so I've just never gotten around to it.

20231106_102305.jpg

20231106_102256.jpg

20231106_102246.jpg

Nice one mel b. How is it with gas consumption? Would a cylinder last long with one of these forges?

Devils forge are good for the money but the blanket lining is bad for you you need to line it with refactory cement. Be ideal for a beginner. a coal  or coke forge is a lot more tricky . Fire control and understand the heat takes a while. Coke also dear and harder got. Plenty blacksmiths do a weekend introductory course. Would be well worth doing. Have you got an anvil as there holding there money aswell.

3 minutes ago, steve t said:

Devils forge are good for the money but the blanket lining is bad for you you need to line it with refactory cement. Be ideal for a beginner. a coal  or coke forge is a lot more tricky . Fire control and understand the heat takes a while. Coke also dear and harder got. Plenty blacksmiths do a weekend introductory course. Would be well worth doing. Have you got an anvil as there holding there money aswell.

Cheers, for the info. Don't have an anvil, and have looked at some at a local flea market. Mad money even second hand/vintage ones. Was maybe thinking piece of railway track, but not sure if that would be good enough.