UK to phase out smoking?

1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

Do people start smoking voluntarily or are they unfairly influenced to do so? Remember your first draw on a fag. You cough,retch and your eyes stream. It tastes like shit. But you go back to it because of peer pressure created by tobacco advertising. The advertising used to include all types of psychological tricks: it's cool,it's tough,it's communal,it's a stress relief,it's something you do to reward yourself,etc etc etc. You don't start out of the blue. Kids used to be bombarded with these messages. The tobacco barons are now targeting third world kids very successfully because they can't advertise here. The  are dealers in death. 

I've seen good people die from lung cancer and oesophagus cancer. They didn't have a choice. Freedom my arse.They were brainwashed into smoking and some,genuinely can't quit. It's not on. It should be phased out.

I now think back to the days when we used to come back from a night out with our hair and clothes stinking of tobacco as filthy medieval days. One of the best laws ever passed.

Here’s a question, what else should be”phased out” ?…….give these politicians an inch and they will take more than a mile 

• Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The rishi should start phasing out drug dealers, homos, trannies, animal rights activists, most of those employed in television, paedos, muslims, and any other dreg of society,  stop all foreign aid a

tell you what ...that facker needs phasing out...   next thing is he will be putting a tax on wanking....

I miss Finishing work and popping in for a quick pint and a game of pool ...few tunes on the jukebox .. Now its all cocaine,selfies and chatting shit £5 plus a pint🙄  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, WILF said:

I’m an ex smoker, packed up 5 years ago for no other reason than I just didn’t like it anymore and it was silly because I was older, much less active and just couldn’t get away with it……but thank god, I’m not one of these hideous ex smokers lecturing everyone (I can find enough of that to do about almost everything else in the world ! Lol )

I have always believed that we have to draw lines in the sand but on tobacco that horse has bolted…..and also, nobody ever OD’ed on fags or sucked a cock in a bog for 20 benson.

So I think you can draw a firm distinction (imho) between fags and drugs and the drug pathway.

Fags are part of everyday life and when you allow the government to ban everyday things then it’s a a dangerous road.

We all learned that lesson with the hunting ban. 

I knew a girl who would let you finger her for 5 silk cut👍

• Haha 4

I just don't get the  whole British thing...of always blaming some cnut else ,for any misfortunes you may of encountered in life🤔 who forces you to start smoking??? Sit in a pub if your a non smoker??? Or  force you to Eat 30 packets of f***ing crisps daily???  Or Buy a 3rd world bride like???  Get some f***ing self control, THEY ARE your own choices,no cnut elses ...you soppy twats🙄 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I do understand the choice argument and  the slippery slope  analogy and  I agree governments shouldn't normally be in the business of banning any freedom that people enjoy in their homes or privately. But tobacco smoke impacted on other people, sometimes fatally. What about their freedom?. Pub closures have more to do with other factors than with the tobacco ban. All pubs had to deal with the tobacco law not just the ones that closed. Others pubs are thriving, sports bars seem to do well and pubs that really make an effort with food. Although there will never be the pub culture there once was and I do miss that. Society has changed.

They had the freedom to choose to go in or not, the tobacco ban was the first nail in the coffin. how many pubs are now closed? Most here have been turned into flats in our town centres, Society may have changed but the freedom of choice should still be there. 

2 minutes ago, paulus said:

They had the freedom to choose to go in or not, the tobacco ban was the first nail in the coffin. how many pubs are now closed? Most here have been turned into flats in our town centres, Society may have changed but the freedom of choice should still be there. 

Nah I'm not having that. Stay home unless you want to breathe in others smoke. That's not freedom, that's a dictatorship.

I must just be an old Luddite, misogynist, cantankerous c**t!

Ive never smoked in my life, but pubs changed for the worst when the smoking ban came in, and also when they banned men only bars in pubs and allowed women in the bars of working mens clubs !

How I long for a pub of yesteryear; no women or kids in the bar, more domino boards than sweetie dispensers and fluffy toy grabbers. The only grub available was pork pies, pickled eggs and plain crisps.

When you could use racist and misogynist language or jokes without some woke b*****d being offended and reporting you !

When you went on a domino card not a one armed bandit that you need a physics degree to understand.

I could go on and on but I’m getting misty eyed and nostalgic !

Cheers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
22 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Nah I'm not having that. Stay home unless you want to breathe in others smoke. That's not freedom, that's a dictatorship.

What i am saying is back then nobody really gave a shit about passive smoke. But i stick by my comments that the right to smoke or not is a choice for the individual and should be a political decision.  What next ban razors because they are sharp? 

18 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I must just be an old Luddite, misogynist, cantankerous c**t!

Ive never smoked in my life, but pubs changed for the worst when the smoking ban came in, and also when they banned men only bars in pubs and allowed women in the bars of working mens clubs !

How I long for a pub of yesteryear; no women or kids in the bar, more domino boards than sweetie dispensers and fluffy toy grabbers. The only grub available was pork pies, pickled eggs and plain crisps.

When you could use racist and misogynist language or jokes without some woke b*****d being offended and reporting you !

When you went on a domino card not a one armed bandit that you need a physics degree to understand.

I could go on and on but I’m getting misty eyed and nostalgic !

Cheers.

Agree with all of that, but I can't understand how you equate the smoking ban with the demise of working class pub culture. Imo the two are not related. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, The one said:

Then what will they put the tax on to replace the millions they will loose ?.

£10 billion in tobacco tax in the last year in UK.ASH guesstimates smoking related illnesses cost the UK £17 billion a year.

1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

Agree with all of that, but I can't understand how you equate the smoking ban with the demise of working class pub culture. Imo the two are not related. 

I knew old lads that came to the pub, nursed a pint or a whiskey and smoked a pipe while they had a game of dominoes and a craic with their mates, it was, for some of them, the only social interaction they had. They simply stopped going to the pub when the smoking ban came in.

Of course it wasn’t just the smoking ban that contributed to the demise of the working class pubs. We used to race the whippets on a Saturday and Sunday and then all go back to the pub, dogs were welcome, but then the pubs started selling meals and banned dogs so we went elsewhere. I was only half joking about the woman and kids, they should have kept men only bars, who wants to sit in a bar full of screaming kids ?

Then there was the proliferation of “pile ‘em high, sell ‘em cheap” supermarkets selling beer at a fraction of the ever more taxed pub beer.

So, there were many factors for the demise of the local pub, we had four pups and two social clubs on our estate, now there’s just one club. Where I live now had three pubs and two clubs, now no pubs and just one club.

The smoking ban was just one of many factors in the demise of estate pubs.

Cheers.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1